Monday, March 10, 2014
I ran into a few situations over the past week that made me truly give this some thought. Here are a few of the thoughts that I had and please feel free to add your own.
1. My mattress has been giving me that achy, tired, sore feeling for a few months now. I tried the memory foam topper to see if that helps but after some changes, tricks, etc., I discovered that my heaviness is wearing my bed out quicker than it should. I sleep solo and flipping, turning and all that...I should have a much longer run on the mattress but I'm not. It's sagging under my weight and that's unacceptable
2. My feet, lower back. Now the lower back I can't really blame on the weight since it was triggered by an accident but the weight don't help it. My feet ache because I wear out my sneakers too fast. Mainly the weight ...weather I spend a lot on the sneaks or little they wear out just the same. Too much money down the drain
3. Medication: I take 5 prescription medications daily. I can elimiated 4 of them if I lose the weight. That's like $70 a month I could be saving. Not to mention all the over the counter med I take for various aches and pains
4. Clothes - we know it's always been said that we pay more than average for our bigger sizes. I've seen some brands that cater to plus size and the cost of an everyday work dress could be well over $100. Swimwear is ridiculously priced...well to get something that looks modern and not like its for your grandma back in the 60s.
As for other things I've recently given thought about:
1. Me and boo are contemplating a road trip to Niagara Falls this Summer. Two weeks - 1200 miles and 21 hours of driving. Can I handle that long distance in the car at this weight. Heck when I sit at my desk too long it's a work to get the body straightened out and moving again. note: get up and move more daily
2. Beach/Pool - swimwear, feeling comfortable in the swimwear. What good is a cute swim suit when you got to cover it up? What fun is being at the beach/pool when you got to keep on the clothes you came in to get in the water?
3. So far I'm good on a plane ride as far as the seat belt fitting. It's the fear of having to sit for longer flights or the seating. See honey works for the airlines and travel is much more available to me now. But...what if I can endure the trips because of my weight/circulation, last minute seating. If I don't get a window seat...I hate the middle seat and the aisle seat I feel uncomfortable when the carts pass as my body sort of hangs out a bit. I would be truly embarassed or hurt if I kept us from going somewhere because of my size.
Now after contemplating all of these things that my being overweight causes...the next thing is? What am I going to do to change some of these things? Fortunately I can afford to pay for my medication "now" but if I keep going this way, will I have to add more meds (diabetes) to my monthly bill?
Previously, I only thought of going to the beach/pool if I was on vacation. Sad thing is I live in sunny Miami, Florida and I haven't been to the beach in my adult life well not since I was in my early 20's. Sad but true. (Why you ask? Not comfortable in a bathing suit in public.) Honey introduced me to the beach again and now I'm excited to start going and hanging out with him. The first time we went was on a spare of the moment so bathing suits were not in the picture. I definitely would like to be able to wear one and enjoy the water in something besides t-shirt and shorts.
So I'm working on changing my body this year and definitely before our Summer trip. This is just one more incentive to drop the pounds. I haven't reached my b'day goal of 10#s yet. As you can see I'm a lot closer to the day. I'm still trying and I won't give up. I just realized that now I've added weight lifting/strength training to my regimen and pounds may not come off as quickly. I'm really striving to build more muscle and hopefully work on my inner thigh flab, upper back and arms. My weight lifting is an all over body workout. It's said that weight lifting builds muscles to burn more calories. It also changes your body shape as you tone. So I'm no longer being led by the scale solely but just allowing the work to change everything. I'm still getting in my neighborhood walks. I can do a lot more now that it's brighter later. I don't have to rush home, rush out to walk and rush back before it gets dark. I can take my time and get in my full walk-out! So that's my focus now.
I have another purpose to get de-fat! To make this trip we're thinking about in less than 3 months. I don't want to be the one that prohibits us from doing anything. I also want to feel good in my Summer swimwear and be able to consider wearing sleeveless tops (my ultimate dream for years). I'm loving the fact that my eyes and mind are being open to various aspects of my journey. I thank God for revelation and even when I'm learning and accepting these things about me - I'm not depressed or upset by it. Growth is good...change will come