Sunday, November 23, 2014
I think we all need a little sunshine and laughter to offset this gloomy weather...
Thursday, November 06, 2014
OK, I'll share my basic Spaghetti Bolognese recipe, as it is dead easy, and I consider it pretty healthy and balanced, with a decent quantity of veg in it, and none of the preservatives associated with ready meals. If you don't want to use tinned tomatoes, you can always buy some fresh and peel and chop them instead for this recipe. You may need to add a small amount of water and a squirt of tomato puree if so.
(makes 6 portions)
Lamb mince - around 500g (I find lamb easier on my digestion than beef)
1 large or 2 medium onions
2 large carrots
1 large portabello mushroom (or equivalent chestnut, button or preferred choice)
2 large courgettes
1 red or orange pepper
2 tins whole plum tomatoes (tins weigh 400g each)
1 heaped tsp bovril or marmite
good shake of mixed herbs
Wholewheat pasta or spaghetti (50-75g portions)
Cheese for grating
1 tbsp olive oil
Prep the veg as you go.
1. Place the olive oil in a large pan. Chop the onion and add to the oil.
Apply a medium heat and leave to start cooking, stirring occasionally as you prepare the rest of the veg.
2. Peel carrots and chop into small pieces. Place in a saucepan with some water, and leave to come to the boil and cook on another burner.
3. Chop up the bell pepper and add it to the onion, stirring in as you go.
4. Top and tail the courgettes and slice them into quarted lengthways. Cut into small chunks and add to the onion mix.
5. Slice and dice the mushroom and add that to the mix.
6. Give the veg a few minutes more to wilt if necessary, and then add the lamb mince. Break the mince up with a wooden spoon and stir and shift it about with the veggies until the meat is browned.
7. Pour in the tomatoes and break them up a bit with the wooden spoon. Add a good shake of dried mixed herbs, and the heaped teaspoon of Bovril or Marmite. Stir well in.
8. The carrot is hopefully cooked by now, so drain that and pour the chunks into the bolognese sauce. Stir it in.
9. Turn the heat as low as you can, and put a lid on the sauce, then leave it for about 30 mins, checking and stirring occasionally to make sure it is ok.
10. While sauce continues to cook for another 20 mins or so, measure out the quantity of pasta you need, put it in a pan with some cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until desired al dente (or softer) consistency is reached. Drain pasta, and share between the plates.
11. Switch off heat under the bolognese sauce, stir, and them scoop a portion over each pasta portion.
12. If liked, grate a little cheese over the top of each portion.
Note: The left over bolognese sauce is ideal for freezing in individual portions.
Approximate nutrition of this meal:
450-600 calories depending on amount of pasta and cheese used.
Each portion has about 2-3 of your five a day veggies in it, depending on veg sizes.
There you go. :-)
Sunday, November 02, 2014
I did it! I walked with Leslie Sansone for 365 days straight! Every single day that I have been Fifty, I have walked at least one mile with her.
EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
So I need a new goal.
Well, I plan to continue the exercise streak Leslie has started but by using the classic Spark Guy Ten Minutes of Exercise a day. I shall continue the count on from the 365, but it will mean I can vary my exercise a bit more. I'll still use Leslie's DVDs, but I will have more time for my Wii games, and for other videos, like the Boxercise stuff.
But the BIG announcement, and I must be insane to be thinking of doing this...
I have just signed up to do the Colchester Half Marathon on 29th March 2015!
A fitting way to celebrate achieving my Mile a Day Goal? I think so. :-)
I'm just trying to decide which charity to do it for. Headway benefits from some of my £25 sign up fee, but I would like to walk it to raise money for another charity as well.
Any shout outs welcome. :-)
Bry has just confirmed she will run it as well! Awesome! I thought she was out because of a pre-booked holiday! :-)
Oh well, onwards and upwards - literally, in the case of North Hill!
Roll on my birthday tomorrow.
The Birthday Highlight:
Lunch out with younger daughter and my fella. :-)
Friday, October 31, 2014
Some of you may remember my blog last year about my plan to walk at least a mile a day with Leslie Sansone through my fiftieth year:
Well, this is the countdown...
Today is Day 363 of 365.
I walked my mile today, and if this cold bug doesn't conspire to get me, I only have two more miles to walk - 1 tomorrow and 1 on Sunday, to achieve my goal!
It has been a tricky year. My health has been a royal pain, and I've had to scrap most of my Fifty things to do while I'm Fifty list, but I hope that in two days, I'll be able to celebrate a milestone, and the day after, to celebrate my 51st birthday.
It won't be an easy celebration, because we are mourning the loss of my Son-in-law's Grandma, who passed on Monday after battling cancer. Myra was a much loved lady I had the privilege of meeting at Bry and Rob's wedding. Her daughter, Sarah, and I have a mutual love of all things Druidic, which is how I got to know them better over time, and Myra is going to be greatly missed.
So very mixed feelings about the coming days.
For now, though, I'm off to use the Wii for a while. We got the latest Just Dance (2015) a few days ago, and I'm trying to learn the Macarena. :-)
*cough cough sneeze sniff*
Have a great weekend everyone!
Get An Email Alert Each Time LEXIE63 Posts