Wednesday, January 01, 2014
Happy New Year my Sparkfriends!! I wish you all the successes, laughter, joy and precious memories for 2014!
I have not written a blog in more than a year. My last blog in 2012 featured what I considered my fitness bucket list...let's just say that list still remains a bucket list. The truth is that in January 2013, I suffered another back injury...this time, another disc tore in my lower back and after several "second" opinions, surgery was on the table. I will never forget the pain that tore through my lower back to my left ankle. I will never forget the crying in pain every morning when I woke up. I will never forget the fact that I could not control my bladder in the mornings and almost peed on myself. I will never forget the numbness of two toes and the limping. I will never forget the 8 tablets a day that I took that barely gave me relief! Reluctantly, I agreed to surgery for July 5, 2013. I am so happy and grateful for the prayers, concerns and well-wishes from my family, friends and sparkfriends. I am also grateful that I met my new physiotherapist who uses water therapy in her sessions in June 2013. By the time, I went for my surgery consultation, the pain and numbness were gone. My neurosurgeon cancelled the surgery! Glory to God! That is my biggest testimony for 2013!
Fast forward to 2014!
I have gained over 40lbs! No Excuses...But the truth is I did not exercise for more than 6 months. I was on medication. And my diet was not the best! That is the naked truth!
I won't put any fancy goals or new year's resolutions. I just want to lose the 40lbs I gained. How I plan to do that and do it safely with no damage to my back?
1. Eat clean at least 80% of the time! Following the 80/20 rule as written by Chris Freytag! Loved that article. I have attached the link for your reading pleasure.
2. Exercise at least 5 days a week. My workouts will include Chris Freytag's workouts, Les Mills Combat (purchased that today), Taebo and Leslie Sansone walking videos.
3. Listen to my body...more like listen to my back. Don't push it!
Simple goals. For the month of January, I have given up cakes! I love cakes but need some discipline. hopefully, after this month, I will crave cakes less!
My goal is 6lbs for this month! I am declaring that I will play by the rules! I know you will not results without the work and I am ready to put in the work!!
Let's do this!!
Disclaimer - All images were taken from google. I do not own any of them
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
It is that time of year again when I will make some goals, commitments or resolution for the upcoming year and declare that this will be THE year! But honest self-reflection promptly reminds me that every year since I have been on this journey, each year has been THE year. Truth is some years I have succeeded and relapsed for whatever reasons or just plain failed. Last week, I got an article from Coach Calorie (which I highly recommend that you subscribe to as they have great articles) that had this picture in it and got me thinking…
So I have decided to start AGAIN in November. I mean which law says that resolutions have to begin in January anyways! Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear the whispers that Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts are upon us…but if I continue to fail at these events, then I have already failed before I have started. (side note – Thank God, Jamaica doesn’t have thanksgiving!)
Seriously though, I don’t want to be writing a blog like this in November 2013. I should have reached my goal weight by then…whatever that is on the scale…I am not sure but I want to be AND feel fit and healthy!
How will I get here? Well I have come up with my 2013 fitness bucket list…another idea I think I got from Coach Calorie too. Here goes (in no particular order):
1. I will master Tapout’s Plyo XT! I swear this is my nemesis workout
2. I will complete Jillian Michaels’s Body Revolution with RHEYNKLAW. We are scheduled to start in January 2013.
3. Complete 25 boy push-ups without modifying! Ugh…I hate push-ups…maybe 20?? No I need to challenge myself!
4. Maintain a 3 minute plank! Ha!
5. Learn to swim…I mean this will be good for my back….but I am still iffy about this one!
6. Hike Blue Mountain, Jamaica! Crazy that I live here and so many visitors have hiked it and I don’t even know where it is!
7. Complete a 5k WALK!!! I will leave the running to my fitness besties Nats, Ben and Cheryl!
8. Enjoy yoga…hmmm
9. Complete a round of Bob Harper’s workouts. I should have enough of his workouts to make up a plan….need to find a schedule….I am sure few exists online.
10. I will cheat at cheat meals only. Need to curb those sweets….does this belong here? Well it is fitness related…I think?
By the end of 2013:
1. I will have a six pack…ok I will be happy with 4!
2. I will wear a bikini!
3. I will lose 17lbs and keep it off!!!
4. I will have such a strong core that my back will in turn be strengthened!
5. I WILL BE FIT AND HEALTHY!
I will track my progress through my blogs...sighs...big accountability promise but important one to keep!
I believe I can do it! 2013 will be THE year!
Saturday, May 05, 2012
This blog is way overdue! It is a hard (and long) one to write because I have to admit my weaknesses and admit that my doctors and friends were right and I was wrong.
No, I was not addicted to drugs or liquor...I was a workoutaholic!
I took this picture literally! Yes... my addiction was to working out everyday...sometimes twice a day....sometimes 7 days a week (no rest day). I am one of those persons who felt guilty missing a workout; one of those persons who worked out for at least 60 minutes a day....30 minutes? Ha! I laugh at that! Now, I know a lot of persons on SP may be wondering so what? A lot of persons record more than 3000 minutes a month. But I am not a typical person. I have a serious back problem...I have disc degenerative disease, two torn discs, bulging disc against thecal sac and several dessicated disc cartilages. Last year, I found out how serious my condition was and since then; I have been warned that I cannot continue to work out as I used to do in 2010. I had several 'relapses' where I writhed in pain and missed several days of work because the pain was so bad. I vowed each time, I would not work out so hard again or I would take it easy the next time.
In February 2012, I started to do Insanity. Obviously, I was insane! There is a clear warning that if you have back or knee issues, don't do the workouts. In addition, I knew my two orthopedic surgeons, my general practitioner, my physiotherapist, family and friends would balk at this idea yet I started anyways. My friends in my fitness group on FB warned me everyday - please be careful and I always responded "no pain, Insanity agrees with my back!"
In March, I added Body Revolution. I started to have muscle spasms...ignored that...felt a little warning pain...ignored that. On March 17, 2012, I woke up with some pain but did Bob Harper's Ultimate Cardio Body workout because I wanted to try out my new sneakers and HRM. I used my tens unit in the night and felt fine when I woke up on Sunday morning. When I arrived at church, I could barely come out of my car. The pain just came on; no warning! To cut a long story short, I ended up in the hospital...I could not walk for two days!! The pain was so excruciating! The injections did not work...the tablets did not work...ice and heat did not work! It was never this bad. I couldn't go to the bathroom on my own, I couldn't sit up to eat, I couldn't drive myself. Wow! What a wake up call. It was a humbling week. Several life lessons. Thanks to my doctors, DBF (who took such good care of me
), friends, physiotherapist and a new addition, my chiropractor, I am now on the mend. It didn't seem possible in March but now I am walking just fine and I am having painfree days! I have gotten the go-ahead to exercise this past week but this time, I WILL NOT be going back to my obsessive behavior!
So I have learnt that I need to more than ever:
I have also learnt that I don't need a 60 minute workout!
I have to:
I can't be so hard on myself! I have done well and this setback doesn't mean I am a failure! I won't just put on 40lbs because I can't workout or I can't do 6 days a week or can't workout like 60 minutes a day. It is hard lesson but I prefer to get addicted to taking care of myself the best way more than being addicted to exercise that unfortunately, can put an end to me not being able to move much less exercise.
So lesson learnt but I won't give up! I will succeed just no crazy stuff!! Thanks to all my Spark friends that checked in and left a kind note or sparkgoodie! I appreciated it!
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
So we have been enjoying the new bubbly Jillian for the past month...still a tough trainer but a little fun, dance and jabs inserted in the workouts and we experience and appreciate a 'softer' Jillian. Of course, we have seen the intensity increase with each workout (which reminds me, I am yet to write the reviews on Workouts 3 & 4). After doing the first month, you do expect things to 'tun up' as we say in Jamaica which means intensify but seriously Jillian, so quick?? In Workout 5? So are are you planning to kill us in Workout # 9 if we make it there?? (side bar - Because I am doing both Insanity and Body Revolution, I am having nightmares about Shaun T and Jillian creating a program together *gulps*- a combined Jillian/Shaun T would be the end of me!! )
Anyways, here is my review! Workout # 5 is approximately 36 mins including warm up and cool down. There are 4 circuits that are repeated twice.
Jillian decides to start the workout with a yoga move that took her a WHOLE minute to demonstrate - she started with a sun salutation, exhale, fold down to the ground, raise half way with a flat back and exhale, then palms to the ground, jump back into a plank pose, move into a chaturanga pose, then into an up dog, then a down dog, bend the knees and jump back up to the top! Repeat 3 times. Seriously??? Who does that for a warm up? OMG! This was when I knew I was in for a challenging workout!
1. Push Ups with a side plank rotation (I actually did all the reps with military style/"boy pushups" Yay!)
2. With light weights, in a nice deep crescent pose, triceps pulses to the back (thank God, she said light weights)
3. Jumping Squats (can use weights to make it harder)
4. Repeat exercise 2 on opposite leg.
5. Cardio Interval - mountain climbers.
Can you imagine how your triceps are killing you now with all this focus and this circuit is repeated with the exception of the cardio interval.
1. With a heavy weight, wood choppers - I like this one because it works your core, quads, hips..it is like you are chopping a tree with an axe. I have done the move before but not with a rotation.
2. With light weights, drop and hold sumo and do arm presses
3. Repeat exercise 1 on opposite leg.
4. Scissor abs
5. Cardio Interval - High knees
Repeat the circuit with the exception of the cardio interval (By now, my heart rate is really up and I am really sweating!)
1. Using the cable, create a loop to put one foot through, step through with the other one into a deep crescent pose and arms to side; pull cable in and back to a "T position"
2. Crab exercise with one leg raised ( I really feel this one)
3. Repeat exercise 1 on opposite leg (now your arms are crying and the sweat literally drops off)
4. Repeat exercise 2 with opposite leg raised (your triceps officially hate you now)
5. Cardio Interval - Cable Punches (oh yes, Jillian is baaaacccck!!)
Your triceps are now officially in malice with you! But then Jillian says she wants you to be able to have sex with the lights on and you tell your triceps to suck it up!
Repeat the circuit with the exception on the Cardio interval.
1. With a medium size weight, do a single leg squat ending in a raise.
2. Line tricep press
3. Repeat exercise 1 on opposite leg.
4. Repeat exercise 2 on opposite side.
5. Cardio Interval - Speed rope (Jillian reminds you she didn't say jump rope..haha)
Repeat the circuit with the exception of the cardio bit.
Finally the cool down! OMG, Jillian!!
Tip of the night:
Oh, Jillian was on the cover of Health this month; check her out:
Get An Email Alert Each Time LEN_VERSION32 Posts