Thursday, October 18, 2012
Okay, I had a total blast with a friend visiting from Seattle. She is pretty good with a camera, so we had this long photo shoot. The main point was to get some really good shots of me in THE dress...and we did! So, here's a fun photoblog of it...
We'll start with a portrait shot -
And now, a sedate full front shot -
But this is how I really felt - TA-DAH!!!
And just being silly -
I was so stoked that I could put the jacket on! Remember, when I bought the dress a few weeks ago, I couldn't even slip the jacket on. Right now, while I can wear it, I can't move in it. Soon, though, my arms and shoulders will be small enough that I can wear it AND move!
In about a month, I'm going to have it taken up, because well, I'm short. It's going to look even more fab then! Absatively, posolutely LOVE this dress!
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Wow! It's been an entire week since I blogged on here. A little nuts on the homefront.
In this past week, I've managed to stay within my ranges for the most part, even though I allowed myself (here and there) to indulge in:
McD's double stack w/o cheese
taco soup (salty, all from canned ingredients)
But, that's not what this post is really about, it's about some more Non-Scale Victories (NSV's) that I've logged.
1. My roommate saw me from behind and exclaimed, "Your a** is getting tiny!" Second time that word has been used in relation to ME... Still reeling over that one!
2. People are now asking me what I'm doing, and really paying attention as we discuss the simplicity of all this. (Note: I said simplicity, I did not say it was easy.)
3. On the heels of #2, I'm able to teach tidbits of what I've learned, about the need to track, about cooking with less salt, about how to use more vegetables, about using ingenuity (and the tracker) to still be able to eat your favorite treats, etc.
4. Being more disciplined in the area of food and exercise is beginning (finally!) to spill over to other areas of my life. (Discipline in general has always been a struggle for me.)
5. I do believe I've established at least one good habit...daily exercise. It's now so ingrained, that if I haven't done anything by bedtime, I put off bedtime to get some strength training in. Only, it's now rare not to have done something by bedtime.
6. I just did a small-scale clothing swap with one other person...got some sweet things in size 12 that actually fit! (Plus a pair of "goal pants" in a size 10. And these "goal pants" are still technically an intermediate goal...I do believe by the time I'm at goal, I'll be a size 8.)
7. My siblings haven't seen me since I began losing weight. I won't see them until Christmas, most likely. I keep imagining how they'll react. I should be at least in a 10 by then, and that's the smallest I ever was in my adult life...actually, since I was 12 years old. I lasted about a year at size 10 in my early 20's, then began creeping up bit by bit. They will be shocked. hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe - I can't wait!
Wednesday, October 03, 2012
Had a strange week, some real UPS, some low downs. But, last night, in our study at my church, talking about the fear of God and how it's vital, one statement came up that says it all for me, regarding my new lifestyle changes, my new relationship with food, my new health, but also every other area of my life: financial, personal, work, social, etc.
Wanna know what that statement is? Okay, okay, I'll tell you!
"A SUCCESSFUL PERSON IS A PERSON WHO MAKES ONE WISE DECISION AFTER ANOTHER."
(p. 155, The Fear Factor, by Dr. Wayne Mack & Joshua Mack, publ: Hensley Publishing, c2002)
That's all I want. To be successful. To make wise decisions, followed by more wise decisions, followed by more wise decisions. (...then they tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends....oh, sorry, wrong commercial!)
Simple, really...just make wise decisions. Just wish that weren't so hard! But, I'm proving to myself that I can do it in one area, so no more excuses about doing the same thing with the rest of my life!
Success! Who's with me!!??
Friday, September 28, 2012
Thought I should post my NSV's to this point...they are the things I'm motivated by:
1. My bp has dropped from pre-hypertensive to high normal in just 10 weeks of making new choices. I'm pretty stoked!
2. My fitness has increased by leaps and bounds. My heart rate normalizes after intense activity MUCH faster than it did when I started all this.
3. I can do 25 pound chest flys!
4. I can dance for an hour without getting winded.
5. I can RUN for short spurts, so far as fast as 4.8 mph!
6. I need new clothes because NOTHING fits anymore.
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Well...I have family in town for a nephew's wedding. They've never been to New Orleans itself, so I took them on a little tour and went out to eat for lunch, and I told them they MUST try Blue Dot Donuts! So....in all, with eating out, donuts, and a wedding, all in one day, I knew I'd need to be very careful while still allowing myself to partake of the goodies.
It's easy to control the donut treat and the eating out...it's the wedding food I was concerned over. H'orsdeuvres (sp?) passed around, a buffet line and cake...very easy to not be aware how much I'm consuming at a 3-hour party.
So, I set myself a challenge before the day began: 1. to avoid salty finger foods (incl cheese & crackers); 2. to avoid sugary finger foods; 3. from the buffet, to take a reasonable serving of ONE entree item plus salad (and to NOT go back to the line!); and 4: if I'm still "picky" after that, pick from the fruit tray. And finally, I've challenged myself to dance (not really a challenge, as I'd do it anyway)...
This is what actually happened:
Never got the donuts, by noon, Blue Dot was sold out and had closed for the day.
By the time we actually got to eat lunch, we were all starving(not having had our donut fix), and I ate a large burger with garlic/herb steak fries that could easily have been 2 meals.
There was going to be a long time between that lunch and dinner at the reception after 8pm, so I had a sweet snack (snack cake type of thing...bleh...waste of time and calories).
Then, we were all dinner hungry about an hour before we had to leave for the ceremony (2 hours before we'd get any wedding food), so I got a Chick-Fil-A Chargrilled & Fruit salad, only, I barely ate any of it, 'cause we ran out of time. Managed to eat the orange wedges & grapes, and most of the chicken, but none of the rest. It's waiting for tomorrow.
At the wedding, I succumbed to the pass-around gumbo (quite good), fried chicken tenders (too salty) and fried catfish (nice and light tasting fish), and spinach & artichoke on a pita wedge. All salty for me. There was no fruit tray, just a chocolate fountain I ignored (not worth the extra calories...it's not good chocolate).
The buffet was chicken alfredo pasta, sausage jambalaya & beef roast with gravy. I took a tiny bit of the pasta and about 4oz of the beef roast. The carver just couldn't understand that I didn't want a lot...and I hate to waste what's on my plate..........
And I had a thin piece of cake.
Oh yeah...and a frozen pina colada. Don't think I should count the alcohol itself, 'cause I'm not sure there was any!
I figure between dancing at the wedding and walking around the French Quarter for an hour and a half I've got my exercise for the day!
My new size 12 black skirt graced my wardrobe today...and I wore my Christian Siriano (sp?) heels (very high for me) for hours, even dancing, and didn't have to hobble home. :)
A fun time...will try to figure out tomorrow how to record all of today's stuff. It's too late right now.
Get An Email Alert Each Time LAHUDSONCHEF Posts