Tuesday, December 13, 2011
I get lazier each year, it seems. This is the 13th of December, and I’ve accomplished almost nothing: a few presents purchased for parties (thus “required”), a few decorations placed, but no serious work done yet. There seems to be an internal shift to doing just what makes me feel good, and less of doing what other people might think I need to do; that’s not my family expectations – we all enjoy the very simplest things. It’s more the perceived expectations of those “out there.” I suppose I’m thinking of the magazine articles and all the beautiful decorations everywhere that made me feel in the past that I should be doing MORE!!!! Maybe I’m finally learning some balance between what I think I should be doing and those things we deeply enjoy.
We had a guy here yesterday for 6 hours, measuring the house and evaluating what we needed to do for foundation repair. I did just one strength exercise, no cardio, but I'm pleased the habit of exercise is ingrained enough that I did that one thing. The break in our routine, and having a stranger in the house for so long got in the way for some reason.
Monday, December 05, 2011
Bible reading first thing, while I'm still so sleepy I just want to sit and drink coffee. Done!
Clean cat litter box. Done!
Drawn to the computer; spin SP wheel. Done!
Play SP trivia. Done!
Most difficult job of the day: dragging myself off the computer to actually get something accomplished. Done! I'm outa here!
End of day: still spent too much at the computer, but did one really dreaded task, some quilting, cleaned the kitchen, went on errands, walked for 30 minutes and called my mother. Not perfect, but better than wasting the entire day at the computer.
Saturday, November 12, 2011
I love the song, "Getting to Know You," from "The King and I!"
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? My first name, Lauretta, from my mother's aunt. (News to some of my friends.... I'm called by my middle name). Backstory: My mother's aunt was in the hospital when I was born, and she hated the spelling of her name (Loretta). She changed it on the birth certificate without my mother's knowledge.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? You know, I can't remember. I don't cry easily, except at animal stories in Readers Digest. They get me without warning.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? (No)
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? I don't usually eat lunch meat, but when I do: Boar's Head turkey.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? (A daughter, two sons and seven grandchildren)
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU (Interesting question.... I'm not sure. I tend to pick friends that are opposite me in personality.)
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? (Never. I, like Patty 267, like to be witty and I know I've tread on a few toes with thoughtless remarks. This is very rare, though. )
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? (Yup)
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? (No. Not only do I have a fear of heights, I don't like my equilibrium messed with. I don't even like going fast around corners. If I wanted to do something scary, I'd probably choose a balloon ride or white-water rafting)
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? (Hot —oatmeal with berries; Cold —Mini-wheats with a banana)
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? (No)
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Mentally and emotionally—yes; Physically—Still pretty strong, but much more weak in my hands than I used to be.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? (I'm lucky here... ice cream is not on my list of desired foods. Ask me about brownies, though.)
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? (Their general confidence or lack of same.)
15. RED OR PINK? (Red. I love purple, too. Never wear pink.)
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOUR SELF? (My lack of organization.)
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? (My dad.)
18. WHAT IS THE PAUL MCKENNA TECHNIQUE THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON THE MOST? (I have NO clue what this means)
19. WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? (Black SAS walking shoes)
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? (Whole grain cereal with 1/2 banana, dark chocolate covered walnuts for dessert.)
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? (I tend to like a quiet room, though I occasionally listen to Pandora (Barbara Streisand, barbershop, Norah Jones) when I'm working in this room.)
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? (Purple.... no doubt)
23. FAVORITE SMELLS? Lavender, lemon verbena, or Rosemary)
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? (a fellow herb club member)
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE? (Mountain hideaway with a porch swing or rocking chair, where I would sit in the cool breeze and read) [I did not change this from Patty267's answer. We have much in common!]
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? (Horse races? Is that a sport? Watch a lot of football with my husband, but that's because I love HIM, not the sport.)
27. HAIR COLOR? (Dark brown (would be called black) turning silver.
28. EYE COLOR? (Hazel)
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? (No)
30. FAVORITE FOOD? Desserts, unfortunately. Probably apple crisp heads this list.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? (Happy Endings. I have too vivid an imagination to tolerate fear or violence.)
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? (Up Periscope, with James Garner)
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? (Purple Curves T-shirt)
34. SUMMER OR WINTER? (Can I vote for fall or spring? It'd probably be winter. I love being inside looking out at snow.)
35. HUGS OR KISSES? (Hugs)
36. FAVORITE DESSERT? (I love crisps and cobblers)
37. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO? (Cardio)
38. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION? (Both; also love to "read" and sew at the same time, compliments of audio books)
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? (Read the Bible each morning; always have several fiction books going: Current one is supposedly the experiences of a friend of Hemingway's when they all lived in Paris) Favorite author: Elizabeth Goudge (wrote during the 40's)
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? ("Diversity and Inclusion; pictures by children, produced by the Pilgrim Station Nuclear facility)
42. FAVORITE SOUND? (My grandchildren's laughter)
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? (Beatles)
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? (I'm not sure where home is: I've lived in all four corners of the U.S. - one trip overseas to England and Ireland)
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? (Singing, crazy quilting, being an uplifter to my friends and family)
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? (North Platte, Nebraska)
47. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW? (Dallas/Ft. Worth suburb)
48. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR HOUSE? (Brick with blue/gray trim; in the process of being painted right now)
49. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR? (Red; silver - DH and I drive whichever one's available, or in back of the other one)
50. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 50 QUESTIONS? (Yes, but even more I enjoy reading other's responses. Hope someone else picks up on this.) (Let me know)
This was copied from Patty267, and I like this idea. Since she copied it from someone else, I think anyone else could use this idea too. I liked it.
Monday, November 07, 2011
The latest Prevention magazine has an article on women who lost weight without exercise or dieting. When I got the magazine, I quickly turned to that article -- I knew there had to be a catch! And.... it was based on information I've seen in several places about women who sit 60% of the day having a hard time losing. Well, that's me, for sure.
This article suggested you wear an activity monitor (there's someone here on SP that wrote a review of those), and increase your activity to burning 500 calories a day, with a list of 80-plus small changes you can make in any activity. (One example... use a shopping basket instead of a cart) One suggestion that would work for us computer addicts is to set a timer and not stay seated for more that 15 minutes at a time, getting up to walk around a little. There you go... that's the "secret." I remember when I first started working at a library. There was little moving around, but I did stand up all day, and lost weight.
This article was good reinforcement and motivation for me to get up and move around more. With the exercise and strength training I'm doing, it should help.
Get An Email Alert Each Time LADYBUG1943 Posts