Thursday, April 07, 2011
I started running, again. The nightly leg cramps and foot pain started, again. This after I signed up for a 5K & 10K for 2011. I told myself to find a solution - stopping is not an option.
The solution thus far is:
1) Go back to C25K plan. I did. I started week 4 last night. I find no shame in repeating what worked for me in the beginning.
2) Stretch like my life depends on it. I am now stretching an hour+ each night after running. It helps. I can feel the pull of the leg muscles & I know if I move the wrong way my legs WILL spasm.
3) Run three days a week - no more, no less - until my legs/feet are ready for more.
4) Keep cross training with all strength training, Zumba, Step class and walking. These activities can only make me stronger.
5) Take one day off a week. I choose Friday. It seems odd to do for the first 5 minutes and then I settle in and relax.
6) Obtain the right gear. I bought sox and inserts so far. I'm looking for new runners right now - I believe I need New Balance shoes and I bought another brand before. Yup, it makes a difference to my feet. Lesson learned.
7) Stay mentally strong. A poor attitude can only result in a poor performance. Positive energy from me to the universe can only empower me.
8) Trust in Me.
9) Invest in Me.
10) Remember this is a life time goal not for a hot minute. Slow and steady is just fine.