Tuesday, June 01, 2010
The news came across the wire today . . . APPROVED!
Our insurance broker phoned today to let me know that the new health coverage I was working so hard to obtain for my husband and me was approved today. I met the news with reserved happiness and a question, "what's the bottom line." I'm always skeptical, I recognize this about myself.
Here's the insurance counter offer, yup you read that right, counter offer.
* My husband was approved without a problem BUT his portion of the monthly premium went up slightly due to never having health coverage before. Crazy right?! Hmph. He's Jamaican - health coverage there is even more difficult to get than in America. So anyway, his premium is higher because he couldn't afford health coverage prior to entering the U.S.
* When I was reading the counter offer I asked my broker what the rating percent 50% meant under my name. He didn't really know. I smiled ... I did, meant they would increase my base premium by 50% - clearly my broker has never worked to get medical coverage for a fattie before. I told him I'd investigate.
* My assumption was correct. They approved me, no problem, I have no health issues but I'm a bit heavier than they would like. Hmph. The rep I spoke to had no problem putting the truth on the table, I respected her for that. Yes, my premium would be increased by 50% due to my height and weight. Oh by the way, that rate increase equates to $100-US if anyone wonders. Yup, I am paying $100 more a month for medical coverage because I am a mere 39 pounds over the weight limit the insurance company has self set.
* What's the deal I asked? If I loose 21 pounds, keep it off for a year and document it with a doctor my premium will go down by 25%. If I loose 39 pounds, keep it off for a year and document it with a doctor my premium will be the standard insurance rate.
* Yeah, I was a bit grumpy but I smiled, again, and told the nice lady on the other end of the line that at least I have a solid goal of losing 39 pounds so "they" would be forced to lower my premium.
In the end, we have been approved and a new goal of 39 pounds has been set.
Tomorrow I submit my approval for the new insurance and tell my old insurance company good-bye.
Insert a sigh here and a happy dance. I did it!
Monday, May 31, 2010
Friday night it was decided, the testing would begin on Saturday. With a three day weekend it was perfect timing. The test is a GI Pathogen Screen w/ Helicobacter Pylori test; in short, it's a poop test - for 4 days. SERIOUSLY! Doc needs it to be completed so we have a snap shot of the Big Picture. I completed the same test in 2008 so I knew what was involved - plastic wrap, tubes, and some alone time in the bathroom.
Tomorrow will be the final day and I'm hoping my body cooperates, the faster I can obtain the samples the faster I can get the specimens off to the labs.
My husband understood I was to take a new test for the doctor and he saw the kit when I brought it home. He's not big on questions and I wasn't really ready to explain the process so it all went without decision. However, on Sunday it was all disclosed after he watched me walk into the bathroom with a bit of plastic wrap and locked the door. This is what I heard this from the other side of the door, "Babe, why are you in the bathroom with plastic wrap." LMAO
I'm looking forward to the test results, which will take at least 2 weeks after I send in the specimens. By that time I should have the blood and urine test results back too. Learning about my body - inside and out - has been fantastic. Knowledge is power!
EDIT since posting this last night: I finished the test this morning before I left for work. When I go home for lunch I'll get everything packed up and ready for shipping late today. We'll be happy to have it out of the house - LOL!
Friday, May 28, 2010
It is weigh-in day for me and it wasn't pretty, I'm up 2.5 lbs. Usually I would be all scrunchy face, irritated beyond pleasant and irrationally angry at the world but not today. Today I have a theory.
After a quick review of the week AND last weekends food and other recreational escapades I know I haven't been an angel. I quickly came to terms with that - no going back now. BUT, I found these extra little pounds overnight (literally, I weighed 2.5 less yesterday morning) which makes me think there's some trickery up with my body.
My theory is this . . . this week without effort I increased my fiber intake from an average of 25 grams a day to an average of 45 grams a day but I did not increase my water intake. WHAT?! I know, I know 45 grams a day of fiber is just crazy but those are numbers. What's even crazier is the fact that I'm only averaging 8 glasses of water a day. You see where I'm going with this right? I think, I found the 2.5 lbs because my body doesn't have enough water to process out all the fiber I've been consuming which would equal a weight gain in small proportions.
To see if my theory is correct I'm pounding down the water. So far, 7 glasses of water before 10:30 a.m. is a good start. Of course, I should add I've had 20 grams of fiber already too. I'll need to find a good balance because I don't intend to decrease the fiber unless Doc tells me to slow it way down.
Goals for now:
Get An Email Alert Each Time KT-NICHOLS-13 Posts