Saturday, November 13, 2010
One of my Saturday morning pleasures is drooling into my coffee while messing around on the computer. I've been thinking about consistency, as it pertains to our quest for a healthy and fit lifestyle.
What, really, is consistency?
In my mind it's having a plan and following this plan in order to achieve my desired outcome.
The dictionary says:
* Steadfast adherence to the same principles, course, form, etc.: There is consistency in his pattern of behavior.
* Conformity with previous attitudes, behaviour, practice, etc.
So, striving to be consistent sounds like a good thing.
Then I went ahead and looked up quotes:
* Consistency is the foundation of virtue.
* Without consistency there is no moral strength.
And as I was reading on, I came across these:
* Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
* Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
* Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are dead.
So now what? There is some truth to this as well.
Maybe this one sums it up:
* But change must always be balanced with some degree of consistency.
-Ron D. Burton
So, have a plan, but don't be so stuck with it that it impairs your flexibility.
Isn't this what often happens when life throws us a curve? Variations to our plan must be allowed. Like everything in life, this health and fitness thing needs fine-tuning as we go.