Sunday, December 04, 2011
Well, not in the daily tracking, but the concept of tracking a couple of times a week. So I just realized that in order to be successful at this, I'll need to plan ahead a bit! Especially this week, since we leave for Las Vegas soon, and I will have a hard time tracking on the road. So I'm planning right now to track tomorrow, and maybe Tuesday....that way I'll have my 2 days in early, and will have achieved my stated goal. Plus if I do get an additional tracking day in, then bonus! If not, I'm still sticking to the plan.
So for today: I finished up the modules for the online training, now all I have left is the final test. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to take it, first because I'm fresher in the morning, and second because Larry has football on, and I really need quiet to concentrate....
I had to go in to work to finish up the timecards for my staff, so I walked in. It's been a while since I've walked or biked to work, and it felt good! And it's a nice sunny day, even if it's cold out, so it was nice to soak up some sun and be outside for a while. And it got me over an hour and a half of walking (6 miles worth) not too shabby!
I also made a Spark recipe: pumpkin carrot bars. Well, I sort of made it, I didn't have any cream cheese, and I didn't think it was that big of a deal, because I thought it was for the frosting, but it was actually a topping that you marbled in, and baked with the bars! So I made them without....and they are tasty, but I think would be nice with the cream cheese topping too...so I may make them again. I was really doing a trial run for my potluck at work, I don't mind bringing in something "healthy" but I don't want it to taste bad either....I'd really like the best of both worlds.
So to wrap it up: The plan for tomorrow: tracking, testing, yoga, and maybe when I'm done with all that I'll pull the Christmas tree out of the shed, and decorate!
Saturday, December 03, 2011
I really was intending to blog yesterday about how the day went with my goals, but it got late, and I got involved in an online training I need to complete by next Thursday....best laid plans and all!
So I did track my nutrition yesterday, and was doing really well (even if I was a little bit hungry a couple of times) until Larry suggested going out for dinner. And even then I did OK, but the waiter at the Indian restaurant we always frequent brought out complimentary rice pudding at the end of dinner, and I couldn't resist. Then after I got home and logged dinner, I thought I was right in range, even if I was over on the carbs (rice and naan, not exactly low carb!) but then I realized I hadn't logged the rice pudding! That put me slightly over on the calories and the fat, but still, not bad. And the scale still went down this morning. So since my Wednesday weigh in of a post-Thanksgiving high of 141.8, I'm now down to 134.8, not too bad, and really I think it's the tracking, and paying attention to my nutrition that has done the trick.
I am also working out, I took a rest day yesterday (which is why I tracked again, I'm going to track my nutrition on my rest days) but worked out with my group again today, burned over 500 calories in just over an hour, not too bad! If we're still in town Tuesday evening, I'll go to class, if not, I'll be working out somehow on the road.
I'm not tracking again today, since it was a workout day. I'll also have to decide how often I'm going to blog to log this plan. I think the more I blog, the more it will sink into my brain, and I'll be better able to follow it!
Thursday, December 01, 2011
And all it brings with it, celebrations of the season, cookies, candies, gifts and gatherings.
and also stress, anxiety, rushing.
So what to do?
Make a plan, and stick to it!
Nutrition: There are so many temptations, and they can be hard to resist. but they can be resisted. So the plan, skip the incidental treats, and pick the really special ones (homemade pie or favorite cookies) and really stop and enjoy them. Instead of mindlessly scarfing down handfuls of candy from the inevitable candy jar, take one special treat and sit down to mindfully appreciate everything about it.
Fitness: This one is easy for me, but it can be trickier when the routine changes and I'm out of my element, which I will be for much of the month (trip early in the month, and will likely visit family for Christmas celebration) so my plan is to get in some form of workout 5 days a week. And I'm going to sign up for another round of small group, this one will be at a better time for me, 5:30-6:30. I may miss a few, but it's still worth it, and he's doing some make-up sessions on Saturdays, so I should be able to get to some of those. And of course if the snow shows up we'll be skiing soon!
Weight: I just still want to get back to my goal range. I've been a pound or 2 out of it for the past month or so, not that that is horrible, I still feel and look fine, but I feel better when I'm in that range. And Thanksgiving added another 5 lbs on top of that! But I've been tracking my food for the past couple of days, and am almost back to my range again. Which tells me a couple of things, most of the gain must have been water weight, and I should make an effort to track my food more often. It really does keep me more honest, and not as likely to nibble on those incidental snacks that can add up over time.
I'm also going to make an effort to blog more, just to keep myself on track with these goals. And I think if I feel in better control of the above, I'll be able to really enjoy the holidays!
Monday, November 28, 2011
And soon to leave again!
It was really a wonderful time, and even though I did gain, I wouldn't do it any different (except for the last bit of pie on Saturday....it put me over the top, and I was nauseated all night long!) We ate well, but also moved a lot, and I got in a couple of yoga sessions, so I can't say that was a fail. And it was so great getting to know Larry's family a bit better, they are so welcoming we just had a wonderful time. And the weather was great, maybe why we did get out so much!
I will get a true idea of where I am tomorrow, since I couldn't weigh myself during this trip, and when I got home it was well past noon, and we had eaten, drank, everything I try not to do before my morning weigh in! But I wanted to stick to my usual Monday posting, so I did.
I think for the most part I made the best choices I could (with the exception of that pie) Nancy had lots of veggies available, and fruit, and we were active. Lots of walking, some running, we hiked along the Potomac one day. The weather was fantastic, probably into the 60's and sunny most days. We even went out and played tennis for a few hours (and my arm is still sore!)
It's nice to be home though, to unwind, and try to get into my routine for a few days before we head out again, we're going to Las Vegas for a training session, and decided to add a few vacation days in and enjoy the area. I'm hoping for more good weather!
Saturday, November 19, 2011
This past week:
1) Nutrition: I think I did fairly well, we did go out for Thai food on Monday with some Spark friends, what fun! And even though I have no idea about the nutrition info there, I've seen a local show where they go into the kitchen at that restaurant, and the ingredients look good there, and the food tastes wonderful, so even if it's not perfectly "healthy" I think it's probably pretty close. And I don't usually balloon up like I do after eating at most chain restaurants. The rest of the week I just tried to stay on track with getting in plenty of fruits and veggies, good protein, and healthy carbs (meaning not too much sugar, and whole grains over processed junk).
2) Fitness/exercise: I did my yoga 4 mornings this week, it's a nice way for me to start the day. I also got in 2 strength training sessions, one with a DVD at home, one with my class at the gym (the second one mysteriously didn't happen, I still don't know the story on that). I also got in 2 step mill workouts of 30 minutes each, gotta love the sweat-fest!
3) weight: I really try not to fret about the weight so much (I can get really nuts about the number on the scale if I let myself go there....) but then I also don't want to balloon up and out of my clothes either, so I weigh daily, and track it on the google15 tracker for my average. And this week has been a bit of a roller coaster....I started on a low swing down, and ended up in the higher range again, but this morning it seems to be tracking back down, so I hope I can keep that downward motion going. I do notice that I tend to cycle up and down on a weekly basis just naturally, one week I track up, the next week down, and the week before my cycle starts again (ladies, you know what I mean) I always track down, which makes no sense to me since I always thought you were supposed to retain water then....in any case, I drop weight right before, then gain it back again after....happens every month. Gotta love those hormones! But then it also helps me understand the weight gain when I'm doing everything "right" nutrition and fitness-wise.
4) work: I'm trying to get the staff moving in a direction I think will benefit the office as a whole, and be more flexible individually, because we are in a state of flux with the possible sale, and I now have a full staff back. So I've started some individual training, and had some one on one conversations with some of them. I think I tend to focus too much on the details, and feel I need to do those myself, but I really need to delegate some of the work that can be handed off at this point, and I'm finally at a point where I feel competent and knowledgeable enough about the work to do that. And I must say that feels good! Especially since I'm going on vacation next week, and someone else will need to do some of the work I've taken over!
So on to the goals:
1) nutrition: I can't help but notice Thanksgiving is coming! And I love turkey... so I'm really looking forward to that! But not looking forward to that overstuffed, bloated feeling after the feast, so I'm going to try to enjoy the meal, but not over eat. After all, there is always the fun of leftovers.... I'm not going to make unlikely goals for myself about the food for this week, especially since we'll be at someone else's home thousands of miles away. But I will try to get my "5 a day" in, hopefully more....and not sweat the rest of it.
2) fitness: I have 2 days at home to workout, so I do plan on getting something in on Sunday, and have a personal training session scheduled on Monday. Other than that, we'll be travelling on Tuesday so I don't know what opportunities I'll have then to get something in, but we are planning on hiking one day when we are in DC, and last time we were there Larry's brother took us running one day on one of his routes through the neighborhood, and they have a workout room in the basement, so I know I can get some time there even if I just do some yoga, it will be good.
3) weight: not sure about this one. I usually weigh myself everyday on the same scale. Now I'm not going to be nutty and bring my scale with me....so, maybe they have one? maybe not? Doesn't really matter. If they do and I can hop on, I guess I'll keep tracking, if not , I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just start tracking again when I get home a week from Monday. Although that might screw up some of my Spark challenges.... I can live with that!
4) work: I have Monday to tie up the loose ends, and then I'll just have to trust the staff! They know what they're doing, and got on fine before I showed up, so I'm just not going to worry about that either. My real goal is to enjoy my time off, and if I come back to 500 e-mails on Tuesday, so be it!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Get An Email Alert Each Time KAYOTIC Posts