Saturday, October 19, 2013
Oh, has it really been a year since i ran that race? Was so pumped, but also so injured. It took my feet weeks, maybe months to get back to normal. And run...I've done precious little of that since the race. Now I've been reading blogs and pistes and motivational stories and I'm ready to get back at it. I know it's like starting over, but I'm game. I'm targeting slow and steady, and consistent. All good thoughts and any advice are welcomed...
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Yesterday, I DID it! I ran a half-marathon! It was my first race EVER and I did it!
I can now say:
1. I'm proud of myself, incredibly PROUD of myself.
2. I'm more than a little bit surprised that I was able to do it.
3. My training was inconsistent at best, but my commitment to complete was HUGE and carried me through.
4. Even when you might think you NEED others to support you, what you really need is belief in yourself and a burning desire to get through.
5. Apple country is NOT flat. LOL.
6. My mind is an incredible tool that will do what it needs to to help me do what I need to. If my brain had let me feel the pain of the blisters I got yesterday DURING the race, I never would have finished.
7. You're never too old. (PS: My bib number matched my age - 51 - which was WAY COOL I thought!)
8. Trying a new running "app" the day of your race is not wise.
9. 45-50 degrees is my ideal running weather.
10. Doing something you didn't think you could do is empowering, unbelievably EMPOWERING!
I can also say that from now on, 5K and maybe 10K races will be my choice. The race I ran was actually 13.49 miles. It was a real stretch for me to choose this as my very first race and I don't regret it AT ALL, but shorter races will not only be something I may be able to be competitive in, they might even be FUN. I have to admit, once I realized I had blisters on both heels and something going on with a few toes as well (somewhere between mile 10 and 11), the half-marathon became way less FUN. But I did it! And to top it off, even with the blisters, toe issues, knee pain, etc...I was not TOO far off my goal pace of 12 min/mile!
And so...I am so incredibly proud of myself. Oh wait, did I say that already? Sorry, please bear with me because this IS a first!
Tuesday, October 09, 2012
Umm, yes...what was I thinking when I signed up for a half-marathon? More on this later...rushed a bit this morning but wanted to share this quote "from the Universe" which is I think, trying to answer that question for me...
What you pay for in life, you get. What you don't pay for, you don't get.
The currency, Kate, is a concerted, persistent effort in thought, word, and deed. Each designed to raise expectations, instill optimism, and imply your inevitable success. And to make "things" happen even faster, understand to the absolute core of your being that this is how you created everything now in your life.
You buy that?
Ummmm, yeah! 5 days til pay day!
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
OK, trying to build momentum...eating right AND exercising consistently, well...MORE consistently. 2nd week with 3+ days on Ease into 5K again...I think I can, I think I can...
Sunday, June 10, 2012
Ok...so I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the results I am seeing, or NOT seeing as the case may be. Is aging / menopause REALLY having this much of an impact on my metabolism? I have been exercising and eating within reason and I m up in weight AGAIN this week...I need to figure this out, and soon...advice anyone?
Get An Email Alert Each Time KATYDID! Posts