Tuesday, December 08, 2009
STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY TIPS
1. Celebrate your heritage during the holidays.
2. Prepare an authentic Thanksgiving meal, leaving off the rich desserts – there were none historically. Really give thanks around the table instead of sitting down to "stuff."
3. Practice re-gifting – sharing items that have been personally meaningful to you with your loved ones.
4. Include an Epiphany celebration and re-create the Magi's gifts to the baby Jesus some time AFTER his birth celebration. Invite friends.
5. Create a new tradition such as singing carols at a hospice, preparing gift boxes for Operation Christmas Child, or gifting an animal through Heifer International.
6. Stop gift exchanges before people shop and ask if you can spend time with them instead, inviting them for a cup of tea or coffee. Let them know you are interested in them. The gift of your time is the most valuable thing you have to give!
7. Invite neighbors to attend a church function such as an Advent Festival or Christmas Eve service.
8. Use your imagination, then make the decision to have a calmer season!