Saturday, July 31, 2010
It's not just eating we have to be mindful of.
How many times do you just go thru the motions? Get to the gym, and just wanna get it over with? Just want to get your 10,000 steps in any way you can?
Well, yesterday I made sure my exercise counted. I took a few minutes before I actually started to think about what I actually wanted to get out of it. And then as I was going thru it, I thought about the various body parts as I was working on them.
And you know what? It actually made it a bit easier. When I wasn't so focused, I would just be watching the clock to see when the torture would end. Most likely it made my exercises more effective, too.
I spent some time thinking about my morning run today before I ever got out of bed. Thinking about what I wanted to get out of it, visualizing myself running with a smile on my face (should've visualized a little heater to go along with me!).
I haven't actually signed up for my next 5k yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the beginning of Oct. I've been visualizing that before I go to bed. Visualizing myself crossing the finish line with a smile on my face (and a certain time on the timer).
I like this new mantra I snagged from choosingraw.com :
Progress, not perfection
Ranks right up there with Imagine, believe, receive
And here are tips #11 & 12 for what to look at when you're maintaining and you don't want to be:
11. Are you getting enough sleep? I definitely make sleep a priority, which annoys the heck out of most of the people in my life because it seems that I'm surrounded by a bunch of night owls. I can function on a few hours, but I certainly don't thrive on less than 7 or 8.
12. Are you suffering from IDI syndrome, which means are you suffering from I Deserve It syndrome? I've been so good, so I deserve a treat. I'm training for ____, so I can afford to eat more. You know if you're a sufferer.
So think about what you want to get out of exercise, visualize it, take your time with it, and don't forget: progress, not perfection!
Friday, July 30, 2010
That's what I'm looking for. One of the things I read recently, which I shared, was to seek out mentors. People who have done what you want to do. Follow them, find out their secrets.
So I'm looking for a few good mentors. People who have busted through a long plateau, people who are at goal weight, people who are maintaining their goal.
Nominate yourself! Or tell me about a blog you follow with people like that.
So yesterday I was down, but not out. It's always frustrating to feel you've done well but not have the scale show it. I don't think it was all water weight, either. No, I could definitely feel it in my clothes and the tightness of my new ring -- even the way my cheekbones and my collarbones look.
I'm much more aware of those little things now, and that's a good thing. I'm glad I weighed in yesterday, even tho part of me screamed NOoooooo! Because it would have been too easy to tell myself I hadn't really gained weight, or it wasn't much, or it was just TOM.
No, it was all of the above and then some. A bit of a rude awakening, but if I hadn't weighed in, I wouldn't know, and I might not change things.
I let it piss me off for a while and then, as usual, I shook it off and we're back to business as usual. Sort of.
My brother & nephew are crashing here for the night before going on to NYC in a couple of weeks. Immediately after that we're going to Mystic, CT for a few days. I finally discovered why DH didn't want to go to the place in VT, despite the fact that it was the "cheapest" -- no, he wants lobster.
And there's a couple we want to have over for dinner sometime too, but I told DH I'd rather do that after, rather than before, our vacation. Because vacations take a lot of prep work on my part and I need to devote my energy to that -- especially since he said he really didn't want to help with any of it when asked point-blank. You don't want to help, then you've got to play by my rules! Remember, he is working, I am not.
It means Insanity will be interrupted, which kind of pisses me off. Altho maybe I can bring it with me, but that's kind of tricky because there's quite a few DVDs. And I'll miss the grand opening of the Fresh Market, which I really wanted to go to -- and have been waiting for ever since we moved here.
Still, there is much to be thankful for in my life:
1. The beautiful weather we're finally having
2. The fact that Chester never showed any ill effects from eating the poison
3. We can actually afford to take a vacation
4. DH has been a little more helpful around the house lately
5. My spark buddies, ALWAYS!
Don't forget, nominate a few good mentors for me.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
I am very, very weary of gaining & losing the same few pounds. So what do you do when you're weary & really all you want to do is throw in the towel? You try to inspire someone else, of course!
So if you're in there with me, losing & gaining the same few pounds, here are a few things to look at:
1. Portion sizes. With apples the size of my head and bananas the lengths of my arms, it's really easy to eat too much even when you're eating healthy stuff. I, for one, will start measuring out my home made salad dressings this week.
2. Are you tracking your food? When you eat it? I don't know about you, but I can barely remember what I ate an hour ago, much less a day ago. I track . . . always.
3. Are you remembering to put yourself on your list? I haven't knitted in a long, long time. I keep putting it down as a daily goal, and then not getting around to it. I am very lucky, I do get to do what I want a lot of the time, but chores still sometimes seem to take over my life.
4. Are you overestimating the amount of exercise you do? They say that we tend to overestimate the amount we exercise (or the exertion) and underestimate the amount we eat.
5. How are those BLTs tasting? (BLTs = bites, licks & tastes). I must say I'm rather proud of myself in that department. I'm not perfect, by any means, but I'm having much fewer BLTs these days (and yes, doing my pushups when I do have them).
6. What sorts of foods are you choosing to eat? Is everything fat free and full of chemicals? Is it mostly sweets? Or are there a lot of chips in there? What we eat matters, whether we stay within our calorie ranges or not.
7. When was the last time you changed up your exercise routine? I'm very good at that (and changing what I eat all the time too) because I just get way too bored doing the same things over & over. But if you like the comfort of routine, just know that your body quickly adapts to what you're doing and starts releasing less.
8. Are you getting in your water every day? I have no problems with that, either, and I find it hard to believe that people would in summer but . . . it's even more important during the summer!
9. Do you believe, right down to your bones, that you can do it? Most of the time I do, but boy, on days like today, my faith is really shaken. I'm not really surprised by what the scale said today from the way I looked & the way my new ring didn't want to come off, but I sure was surprised because I truly believed I'd eaten very well this week. Most struggles are mainly mental.
10. How's your stress level? Stress will catch up with you, one way or another.
When all else fails, just let it go and go back to the basics.
Have you got more tips for busting through a plateau -- for good?
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Before I get to that -- well, I'll bet you already pretty much know what I'm going to say -- just wanted to thank everyone for the comments on my photos. Always appreciated. Probably would have helped if I'd thrown on a bra (sorry if that's TMI). When you're as small as me, you can -- and I do -- get away without one, but I can see the girls were kind of hanging down there. Bras seem just seem like one layer too much in the summer, don't they?
As to smiling, Kate, it was a very hot & steamy day and I was squinting into the sun.
So yeah, you gotta surround yourself with the right people. It's pretty easy here on SP, but even here you may have to be choosy with your friends. Some can still suck the life out of you (none of mine, of course!).
You have to pick buddies who motivate you, who cheer you on, who inspire you -- people who make you feel better about yourself after you've interacted with them.
You've got to do that in RL, too, if you can. That's why I go to WW meetings, even tho it costs me money and most people think I'm already at my GW -- which I dearly wish I was so I could stop paying.
My DH, bless his soul, can be both good and bad. He gets really, really annoyed that I won't allow the tv on while I'm eating. I absolutely can't convince him that he is better off eating without it on, but I simply won't allow it on while I'm eating (while we eat dinner together, we don't always eat our other meals together).
He is supportive whether I've lost or gained weight, no matter what I look like.
He is also the first to say you're on vacation, you don't need to exercise or you can have that "treat".
Well, anyway, you get the picture.
I also seek out Websites that speak to me and inspire me. I share those with you. My lastest find is www.rawfoodswitch.com . Her (free) dessert ebook looks fabulous, and I like that she isn't an all-raw-or-the-highway kind of gal. BTW, if you're interested in raw (and summer is a great time to experiment with it), also check out www.choosingraw.com ; a more serious read, but well worth it and once again I love her balanced approach.
If you do decide to try out raw, just don't go nutty with the nuts -- it can be way too easy to overdo the nuts with some of those recipes out there.
What Websites inspire you? Which ones do you visit frequently? Inquiring minds want to know!
Oh yeah, now I remember what I was going to blog about -- Insanity after one month. Oops! Guess I've got a blog for tomorrow. Y'all were sure busy blogging yesterday while I was running around town. I'm still catching up!
Let's see, yesterday was just gorgeous. We took the dogs to the park. First time DH has walked them in a week. Lola got a LOT of doggie socialization practice. Well, of course Chester did too, but he's good with other dogs.
My run this morning was so-so. I was having problems with my Ipod and ended up walking way more than I'd planned to. No biggie, it's my recovery week before month 2 of Insanity, but it was kind of frustrating, especially considering it was just stellar running weather this morning.
I really like running early in the morning, even if I don't really want to move right away. Just seems to energize my day. It's peaceful. And it's usually much cooler and less buggy. I recommend it.
I don't, btw, expect to see a whole lot of change in my before & after photos by the end of August, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Above is me at the start of my journey, and now. Now wonder I no longer wear that tank top -- it's not particularly flattering. I mean, I know I've lost almost 30 pounds, I can see differences, and yet I still am drawn to that gut. Nothing seems to get rid of it (not even Insanity, apparently).
Those are my focus jeans. While they appear to fit, and I've even worn them a time or two, they're still not comfortable. I'm hoping to make them so by the end of August.
Excuse the wild hair. In serious need of a shower.
Dresses hide so much. They're so flattering. So this is my focus dress. Looks good, but trust me, is way too tight. I used to wear this back when I was a WW leader in the prehistoric ages.
This is a bit more like it. Yes, dresses are definitely way more flattering. We went out to eat last night.
I'd forgotten about this dress. I've been shopping for sundresses, but not having a whole lot of luck. I bought this several years ago. It's actually a large, but it's always been very form fitting. The truth is it is a bit too loose, but it still looks a whole lot better on me than it used to.
I have showered, but the hair is still wild. It was an extremely humid day!
Because they're just so darn cute.
Usually this cuddling doesn't last long -- Simba will whack Giz -- but sometimes they lay entwined like that for hours, making Gizmo very happy.
Get An Email Alert Each Time JLITT62 Posts