Friday, March 04, 2011
In the back of my mind I knew along with the SP website I also needed a Journal to write down my goals, measurements, before & after pictures and feelings along the way. I track my food, exercise, calories, etc. online and in this Journal. I knew if nothing else I would be more accountable and could keep track of every bite that goes in my mouth and wouldn't have to wait until I had time to get on the computer or sometimes I forget to add it in as I've read you should try to put them down within 15 minutes or you might forget. It's especially good to use when you are away from the house or at work or on vacation.
So, I went to the Amazon website as I've been pretty lucky finding just about everything I need on there. I read through the descriptions of each one and finally decided on the DietMinder Person Food & Fitness Journal. It is a 3 month Journal so only costs about $4 a month. That way I can easily look back at my Journal at the end of the day, week or month and see the areas I need to work on. I love writing at the bottom how my day went. This little green Journal even fits into my purse if I'm going to eating away from home.
At the beginning of the Journal there are a total of 6 pages to write down your Personal Goals with a start and end date. I had written them in a binder but this way I can keep them close by and I do look at them every day to start the day focusing on my Goals and how best to achieve them. Also, I don't know why, but I've never taken my measurements and now they are recorded in my Journal to be retaken every week--hopefully they will go down, and not up--LOL. There are graph pages in the back where you can start a graph of your weight loss
So far, I only have a before picture as I've only lost 20#s and for a really heavy lady, like myself, that doesn't even really show yet even if a few people did tell me my face looked thinner. There are places in this Journal to put in 3 sets of before and after pictures. I sure hope by the end of 3 months I've lost enough weight to warrant an after picture--LOL.
I'm hoping in 3 months I'll need more space to record my exercise time and will need to order a Workout and Exercise Journal!!
Studies have shown that people who write down what they eat and drink have greater success losing weight than those who don't. So, hey, Happy Journaling here I come!!
Tuesday, February 08, 2011
I honestly feel I am eating healthier than probably ever before in my life. As I've given up the Fast food runs, eat 4-6 veggies and fruits most days and cut way down on meat portions and even have one meatless night a week--usually pasta. I now use Sandwich thins to make a sandwich and have all but given up on eating garlic bread, etc. as I do love carbs. When I snack I prefer eating healthy veggies & fruits as not only are they very low in calories but also low in sodium! I switched to fat-free milk and low fat yogurts and try to limit the cheese as I think the fat free ones taste like rubber--LOL. I am fighting to get healthy on my SP Journey and will be adding aquatics exercise to my life very soon--just waiting for the tour of the YMCA and the swimsuit I ordered to arrive. An almost too thin friend said to me yesterday, "You are too Heavy to Exercise". So, I told her about SP and how even people heavier than me do get daily exercise in.
I am currently on quite a few medications all prescribed by my Dr. who seems to think the cure-all is in a pill. Other than that big issue I really like my Dr. and just know the cure isn't always in the RX he want to prescribe. Unfortunately, I have Type II diabetes, high cholestrerol, high blood pressure, arthritis, osteoporosis--these conditions are I believe a result of all the years I overate highly processed and fatty foods, ate very few veggies/fruit and got very little exercise--so basically abused my once healthy body. I also was addicted to diet Pepsi and always had one around--people at work use to tease me about it--well it's not so funny now! I realize that diet soda is probably what caused the bone in my back to get weak and eventually fracture. As I've heard Pepsi can dissolve a nail when put together in a jar--Yikes, my poor bones & body!! Water or green or black tea is my beverage of choice.
So, I'm motivated to lose a significant amount of weight as I hope then I can cut way down on medications I take, have less pain, and feel more energenic and be the healthiest I can become. I don't even care very much about the "cosmetic" part of losing weight as the healthy part is the most important to me . . .and I believe to my friends and family. I plan on
re-gaining back as much of my health as I can by eating healthy and exercising--also thinking positive is important to me. . . I have observed that most morbidly obese people don't usually make it into their 80's and I want to live as long as I possibly can!!
I think SP really works for me as it is available 24/7--any time you need someone to talk to or need motivation/encouragement you can read a motivating blog/article (that is so easy to do). I go on SP daily throughout the day as time permits. I've done WW and even Jenny Craig many years ago but the once a week support wasn't enough for me to change my eating habits nor did I get the kind of encouragement and support I now get from SP friends that I connect with daily. I love the fact that all the tools you need are also available any time you need them. I learn so much from all of you and try to implement your great ideas into my daily life. There is nothing quite like it that I know of--and it really works!!
Sunday, January 30, 2011
For those who may not know I;ve been told by my Ortho Dr. that I need two knee replacements and it is exacting why I'm finally going to stop all my excuses and once again start exercising slowly even if I can do only 10 minutes a day. A couple of weeks ago I stopped my 30-45 minutes of sit down exercise as my knees were hurting worse than ever and I blamed it on exercising!! When I went to my Ortho Surgeon I asked him if the exercising could be why my knees were hurting and he just said, "Well they are bone on bone". But, when I went to leave his office his parting remark was, "Stay Active". So, I feel like I got mixed messages from him--and not really the advice I wanted and paid for. He just keeps telling me what a good candidate I am for two total knee replacements, in otherwords two scary, at least to me, surgeries and long recovery time.
Then, yesterday Ann, one of the Leaders of a favorite team of mine wrote me that she also had been told she needed two knee replacements and walking was painful but like most people really didn't want the surgeries so she got smart and joined SP and exercises and tracks her food and guess what she now can walk without a walker, in her words, " for not too far or too long", but she is once again mobile and she attributes that mainly due to exercising almost every day. I know she enjoys working out at Curves and taking her beloved dog for a walk. There are others who have lost weight and gotten active and they all are enjoying life so much more now. They don't have to depend on others to help them with household chores, shopping, etc.
Yes, I want that for me--to be more mobile and pain free! So, no more excuses cuts it for me anymore as so many friends have motivated me that I can and will do a little exercise every day--I even joined the Knee Team, not too long ago, for more exercise ideas! Thank all of you for those gentle kicks in the butt as I sure needed them--it's about time I took responsibility for my actions or in this case non-action!
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
I realize I'm more motivated about getting healthy the SP Way now, than I was months ago, and it' because I'm having a Strong Start and feeling good about myself!!
When I first really tried SP back in August of 2010 I kind of played around with SP, however I knew it was what I wanted for myself but just couldn't get going. I'd stick with it for a few days and then eat what I knew wasn't healthy maybe for the rest of the week and still was a couch potato. I did lose 11#s but went on to quickly gain them right back but was too ashamed to change the ticker on my Spark page. Then, a couple of months ago, I decided to re-read the Spark book and really do it right as in the way Chris Downie explains it so well. What a mind changing experience that has been for me. I went all the way back to setting and tracking Fast Break Goals and very soon they became second nature to me. Daily I track my food and almost always manage to stay within my calorie range which wasn't always true. If I do go over I don't "beat" myself up but just get right back on track the next meal. I'm now satisfied with much smaller food portions and if I do overeat I try to analyze what was bothering me as that's usually the reason. I'm now in the Lifestyle Change and feeling more confident and motivated that yes, I can do this, in fact it's even fun--and the bonus is I feel happier than I have in years!
1. I always Track my food intake and have learned to read food labels for nutrition facts.
2. I realize I can have that treat or an occasional cheeseburger, etc. and that no food is off limits that I want as long as I use portion control and include it in my food tracker. Now that I've cut down on my portions I am actually full and satisfied with less food. I no longer crave sweets and salty snacks like I used to. I like the healthy snacks that I always make sure I have. I know it has also helped to not overeat to include these healthy snacks throughout the day. Before, especially when I was working I would usually only have one huge meal a day and that was dinner. I couldn't wait to get home to eat up a storm--and that's one of the main reasons I think I gained 100#s during the last 15 years.
3. Exercise still doesn't come easy to me. But, I do try to get at least 10-15 minutes a day. I love the sit down Dance DVDs that I recently purchased. I do hope to keep increasing my exercise time as I go along. It does feel good to move but it's still not high on my list of fun things to do--but I still do them.
4. I'm cooking more at home, the take-out food stops are almost gone and when I do go to one I almost always get a salad with a low calorie dressing. I love to try new Spark Recipes and I'm really looking forward to getting the new Spark Cookbook they are coming out with soon. I still do alot of slow cooker recipes as that way I don't have to be standing too long, which is still hard for me.
5. I love and appreciate all the support and help I get from Spark and Spark friends. I finally have told my family and some friends about Spark People and my weight loss as I want them to root me on--which they have. I've had a friend and my DIL tell me that my face looks slimmer, which I love to hear as I do have a very full chubby face.
6. I resist the temptation to weigh myself daily and only weigh once a week for a Team Challenge weigh-in. I'm about 1/2 way to my Challenge weight and have another month and a half to go. I put down I wanted to be down to 274# by the middle of March and I'll be thrilled to be in the 270's as it's been quite awhile since I've been that weight.
7. I'm taking better care of myself. I had almost become a slob as didn't care anymore about putting a touch of make-up on but now I want to look nicer on the outside as I feel better when I look better. I still wear shifts around the house but do dress up in nice slacks and tops when I go out. I hardly ever buy any clothes as there isn't too many cute tops or shifts in a 3X but I have purchased some new clothes online so I don't keep wearing the same old things.
8. I am experiencing small success and I know this is Not a diet but a healthy lifestyle so there is no end date. I do have weight goals and I hope to make them but I'm not going to be worried or stress out if I don't as I have lots of time. As they say, it took years to gain all this weight so I have to be patient with myself and my precious body that I have neglected for far too long.
Wishing all of us a Healthy Lifestyle to make us more positive and appreciate and treasure this fantastic body that the one above make for each of us. Have a Wonderful and yes, fun Journey!
Get An Email Alert Each Time JILL313 Posts