JERIBERI1   108,038
100,000 or more SparkPoints
JERIBERI1's Recent Blog Entries

Our grand and glorious run

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Today my daughter and I went on a run. It was hot and hilly, and we were having a grand and glorious time.

We live in the country, and we can run for miles without seeing anybody. And that was the case for the first 4 miles.

We saw some pretty horses. But one horse -- the one who wanted the most attention -- was very skinny. I hope he fattens up like his playmates.

We saw a spooky and beautiful really old house. My daughter told me when she was a teenager, it reminded her of the Blair Witch house.

Then I saw a sign for an Amish store. It pointed up a hill.

I'd never been up that hill, but there were two old men working on lawnmowers at a barn/garage in the intersection. We stopped and asked them how far that road went. They were funny old men. One man started telling me how running is bad for your bones. I told him not so! Then he said his brother runs and rides a bike, and his other brother does something or another. And his other brother. So I stopped him and said, "Wait! Your other brother? Is his name Darrell?" He said yes. He didn't get the joke. "My name's Larry. This is my brother Darrell. This is my other brother Darrell." But we all laughed, anyway. Then he said he drives, and rides around with a deer in the passenger seat. Sure enough, there was a deer in the passenger seat of his BMW. We told him to put it in the driver's seat so we could take a picture. There's just something funny about a deer driving a BMW.

Then the old man told us a bad joke. "You wanna see a butthole wrapped in plastic? Look at your drivers license!" He laughed and thought it was the funniest joke he'd ever heard. We said, "Alright, now, we're heading on up the hill!" That was all the humor I could stand from those two old men. Hahahaha

Just when we thought our run couldn't get any better, I spotted a strange object on the side of the road. I believe it's the Kentucky Chupacabra!!

There was a burned out house with a toilet sitting there. Naturally, the photo-op with a chupacabra in a toilet.

That was all the fun we could stand. We ran home. Yes, I took the chupy with me. He's currently in the washing machine, getting who knows what kind of grime off him. He's adorable!!!

Such a grand and glorious day.

Me and my awesome daughter/running partner

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SEABREEZE64 4/14/2014 8:48AM

    What a funny run.


Report Inappropriate Comment
NEW-CAZ 4/14/2014 2:58AM

    What a fun adventure, great blog Jeri!!
Have a great week hun emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINKY 4/13/2014 9:29PM

    Wonderful blog! What fun! Thanks for sharing. Wasn't it a beautiful day? Life is so good!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOBYCARP 4/13/2014 6:32PM

    The deer behind the driver's wheel begs for a caption contest. "Okay, now it's time for some revenge!" Probably someone else can come up with better captions.

Report Inappropriate Comment
SUZYMOBILE 4/13/2014 6:11PM

    What an adventure! The planets were definitely aligned for that one.

Report Inappropriate Comment
WAY2GOCAT 4/13/2014 5:42PM

    I love the deer in the BMW! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Sheep, dogs, logs, snakes, creeks, fun

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Today my daughter and I went on a 9 mile run. We live in a rural area, about a bazillion miles from anywhere, really.

Around mile 2 we came across a snake. He was a vicious little fella, and he didn't like us messing with him. My daughter picked up a stick and pushed him out of the road so he wouldn't get smashed by a car. He bit the stick. But at least he ended up safe in the grass.

Then we ran on a little way, and we saw sheep, along with a couple of working sheep dogs (great pyranees). We stopped to pet the dogs. My daughter took a picture of the sheep.

There were so many trees that looked perfect for playing. We stopped for a photo op in a Hobbit Hole

Then we played on a log, and I tried to act like I was balancing. I was holding on tightly to the fence post.

We saw 4 deer hop across the road in front of us, but we couldn't take a picture of them. They were too fast.

Then we played a little in the creek.

By the time we were done in the creek, it was getting late. We both had things to do. It was time to finish the run and go home.

By the time it was all said and done, we had run 9 (almost 9 1/2) miles, and we'd had a ton of fun. Today has been a happy day.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

_LINDA 4/7/2014 9:14AM

    emoticon Love photo blogs seeing where people live. You live in a beautiful place, great motivation to get out there and enjoy! My sister has 3 pyranees, one of which just had two pups a few weeks ago.
Thanks for posting!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEW-CAZ 4/7/2014 3:19AM

    You look like you were having a ball, love your smile (it lights up your face)
Are you sure they're sheep? LOL

Have a good week hun emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
DJ4HEALTH 4/7/2014 1:11AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINKY 4/6/2014 10:45PM

    Wonderful blog! Great fun! It was a beautiful day!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SHECHAM 4/6/2014 10:39PM

    Great blog! Sounds like such fun. Days like that are such a blessing!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ROXYZMOM 4/6/2014 9:05PM

    Looks like you all had a great run!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SUZYMOBILE 4/6/2014 8:05PM

    Woot, woot!! How are your feet?

The dogs look so much like sheep that it's funny!

Report Inappropriate Comment

My first triathlon

Sunday, March 09, 2014

WARNING: This is a rambling blog. I'm tired from swimming, biking, running today :-)

How did my tri go? It was good!! We got in the pool to warm up. I was in the first heat (aka "slowpoke" heat). I shared a lane with a man named Chuck. He was faster than I was, but since we didn't circle swim, it was okay. We each stayed on our side of the black line. The pool was different than the pool at the Y. The chemicals were different, and it caught me off guard. It affected my breathing at first, and I had to get used to it. Also, it seemed like the black line ended closer to the end of the pool, and I almost klunked my head into the wall. It only took me a couple of laps to get accustomed to the different pool, and I had a nice, steady swim. I was slower than most, but I was faster than at least 2 people. So yay!! Next, it was on to the spin bike. I can spin with the best of them. My legs know how to turn over quickly!! There was nothing very exciting about the bike portion. It was just "go fast, go uphill, go fast, we're done!" After 30 minutes of spin, we were off and running. I worked so hard on the bike, my legs were wobbly for the first quarter mile or so. But every lap (21.1 around the track) was +/- 1 or 2 seconds of the first lap. It was the most evenly paced 5K I'd ever run. Fast? No. Well executed? Yes.

I spoke with the event director afterward, and she said my swimming form was really good. That made me feel good, because I am obviously (visibly) weaker on my right side due to the titanium shoulder replacement. That is something I have to deal with. It's a pretty major thing, really. It may mean I will never be as fast as I want to be, but I'm not going to be as slow as most people with a shoulder replacement would be.

It was a training tri today -- a wonderful introduction to the world of triathlons. My next triathlon is a sprint tri on April 26th. Today's tri gave me the confidence I needed to know that I may not be last place!! And if I do place last, I'll be good with that. Triathlons aren't easy. First place or last, we're all triathletes.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SWEETNEEY 3/29/2014 3:46PM

    This was very interesting. I did a Tri last week and I was the last out of the wate,on the bike and run but I finished and did better than the year before

Report Inappropriate Comment
BECKYANNE1 3/12/2014 9:00AM

    Way to go! It sounds like a really good way to get a taste of a Triathlon!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BKWERM 3/11/2014 5:49PM

    Way to go! Congratulations!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JENSHAY1 3/11/2014 4:31PM

    That is awesome! I love your attitude. I think that is how it is in life...We are faster than some and slower than others...good thoughts. Was your Tri indoors? I wonder if they have something like that around here. I'm going to have to check it out...

Report Inappropriate Comment
MWWENSIN 3/10/2014 6:35PM

    Place doesn't matter. Like you said you completed the task before you and can now call yourself a triathlete. Good luck on the sprint.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANNEMAC5 3/10/2014 4:46PM

    Fantastic, you do set yourself some challenges. emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
REDHATSHAPELY1 3/10/2014 10:41AM

    Fantastic! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEW-CAZ 3/10/2014 4:02AM

    emoticon emoticon you are incredible Jeri emoticon

Have a great week hun emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
DJ4HEALTH 3/10/2014 1:19AM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
ROXYZMOM 3/9/2014 10:00PM

    WooHoo! Great for you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINKY 3/9/2014 9:41PM

    emoticonYou are quite simply, AMAZING! Definitely emoticon with your friends here! Get some rest! Proud of you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
APRILRUSSELL3 3/9/2014 8:27PM

    That's really something to be proud of. Yeah You!

Report Inappropriate Comment
WITCHYALISHA 3/9/2014 8:24PM

    Whoot congratulations.

Report Inappropriate Comment

From Awe-some to OW-some

Monday, June 10, 2013

Hatfield-McCoy Marathon, 2013. I was supposed to run a full marathon on June 8th. I'd been having trouble with my right knee, but I figured it would be okay.

The trip to the mountains was great. I am a mountain-lover, and I'm a fog-tourist. I take pictures of fog. Weird, I know, but it feels safe and homey to me.

Saturday morning was a beautiful day for 26.2 miles. Really. It was in the mid-60s, fog hanging in the mountains, lots of good energy in the air. I started out with Suezette and a few other people. We stayed together for about 8 miles.

We were having fun, laughing, taking pictures. The scenery was amazing!!

I've run the race before, so I knew what to expect at Blackberry Mountain. Yes, up and over. The up part wasn't bad. I knew the down part would hurt. The other ladies went on down the hill at a good pace. I told them I would hang back, go slowly, catch up. My knee wasn't going to do the downhill, not at all.

Almost to the bottom of the hill. Pop. Yes, that was my knee. Mile 8. OW!! It felt broken. I slowed way, way down. I could still see the other ladies up ahead of me, and when they stopped at the port-a-potty, I caught up to them. They went on afterward, and I hobbled along. I was getting slower and slower.

I was determined to make it to the half marathon finish line. I know it wasn't the full, but I was going to cross a finish line one way or the other. 13.1 miles is nothing to sneeze at, especially with what felt like a broken leg.

Everyone kept asking me if I needed a ride. I said no. I was going to take pictures along the way, and at least enjoy the scenery.

The ambulance people saw me at mile 12. They asked me if I needed a ride. I said no. The half marathon finish line was only a mile away. I was going to get there with my own two feet.

They followed me. Really. An ambulance followed me all the way to the finish line.

I finally crossed the Half finish line in 3:28:36. How slow is that???? Oh well. I finished, I got my medal and my mason jar (hillbilly themed race), and I got in the ambulance and had them drive me to my husband. He was waiting for me at the full marathon finish line.

We went to the ER, and I discovered my tibial plateau was broken. Ugghhh. After an ortho consult, they gave me a gigantic robo-brace, some crutches, and told me the ortho clinic would call me with an appointment.

The thing is, the injury wasn't due to running. It was due to osteoporosis. I am NOT happy with that, but what can I do?? I suppose I'll have to ask the doc when I see him in his office.

For now I'm rockin' the robo-brace look.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MARTHROID 6/18/2013 3:28PM

    Oh my gosh!!! Your are amazing...I would have given up for sure. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEDICATED2HIM 6/11/2013 9:44AM

    You are my hero too.
I had to wear a "robo-brace" (knee immobilizer) following each of my 6 hip dislocations. Those things KILLED my knee (where i have arthritis.) I ditched them after one day each time. Blessings to you ....I hope you heal quickly and are back out running again soon.

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEALTH4MICHELLE 6/10/2013 1:38PM

    OW! I'm glad you went to the doctor!
Congrats on crossing the finish line!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEW-CAZ 6/10/2013 11:13AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
COOP9002 6/10/2013 10:49AM

    Be proud of yourself for finishing. Hope you are able to heal quickly.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us.

Report Inappropriate Comment
COFFEEMUG2009 6/10/2013 9:42AM


Report Inappropriate Comment
SUZYMOBILE 6/10/2013 9:37AM

    Jeri, you really ARE my hero. I mean, really, finishing nearly half of a half-marathon on a broken leg???!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JACKIE542 6/10/2013 9:27AM

    Wish you a speedy recovery. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
IACTA_ALEA_EST 6/10/2013 9:10AM

    I think of the ambulette or party wagon as a buzzard scavenging. Still cracks me up to remember.

Bummer about the tibia but perhaps treatment now will prevent more bone loss!

Happy sparking!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINKY 6/10/2013 9:02AM

    JERI I can't help but admire your emoticon attitude! How you smile through the pain is beyond me! Could have a long road ahead but I know you'll make it if there's any way at all! So glad you have such good support from hubby. Hang in there. Beautiful pictures! Hugs.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MYUTMOST4HIM 6/10/2013 8:56AM

    I am not a fog lover but I LOVE LOVE LOVE hiking emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Never too young to start

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Today was a beautiful day for a race. The 5K along the Ohio River flood wall seemed like the thing to do. The 5K was part of a multi-sport racing event, consisting of a Triathlon, a Duathlon, a Sprint Tri, and a 5K.

My daughter and two of her children decided to run the race, too. Marshall is 7, and it was his first 5K. Melanie is 9. She has run several 5Ks. We told the kids we were racing, and they would have to run on their own. They were good with that. They would just follow the crowd.

We got down to the river about 45 minutes before the 5K started. We got our chips and went to the river to watch the swim. What an amazing swim they had! The swimmers jumped off the barge and swam with the current down the Ohio River. We cheered when they came out of the water.

Soon, though, it was time to line up for the 5K. The air horn sounded. Marshall took off in front. Melanie was close behind him. Within a quarter mile or so, Melanie had dropped back. Marshall was about 5 seconds in front of me. Brandy was behind me, and Melanie was behind her. We kept that placement through about 1.25 miles. Then came the stairs to the flood wall. They were tough stairs!! They were very steep. We got to the top of the wall. Iím not sure what I expected. For some reason, I didnít expect grass. Not at all. If Iíd known there was going to be that much grass, I would have run in cheap shoes and removed them on the wall.

I like cross country events, but they make me nervous. The grass was wet with dew, and it was slick. The ground had quite a few mole holes. It was very uneven. It wasnít very wide, and it seemed if we went down for any reason, weíd have quite a slide to the bottom. It also included a slick downhill portion (they had a rope to grab) and a run behind the wall, and then back up a slick hill to the top of the wall again. I slowed my pace by almost 2 min/mile. Ever since my shoulder replacement in 2000 (3 of them in the same shoulder), I am extremely guarded with my shoulder. I did not want to fall down.

Marshallís lead got bigger. Brandy passed me, and she caught up with Marshall. Melanie fell further behind. We didnít see her anymore. I kept Marshall and Brandy in my sights. They finished about 30 seconds ahead of me. Marshallís first official 5K results: 28:26. I came in at 28:56. That is the slowest 5K Iíve run in forever! Iím good with it.

Brandy came in one second behind Marshall. Then she doubled back to find Melanie. That poor kid. If you look up "perseverance" in the dictionary, you will see Melanie's picture. When Brandy found her, she was crying, and she was bloody. Sheíd had a nosebleed when she climbed the stairs to the wall. She was by herself when her nose started bleeding. She said, "I looked around and all I saw were strangers." Even though she was bloody and crying, she continued because, really, where else was there to go? She was on a flood wall! She slowed to a walk, and then everything seemed to hurt her. It took her 41 minutes, but she did it -- with blood on her race bib!!

Both the kids took 2nd in their age groups, and Brandy and I each took first in ours. And the best part was, Marshall was waiting at the end for his big sister, and he high fived her and told her she was awesome!! The award was quite a confidence booster for Melanie. I'm so glad she got an award!

Today was such a good day. Iím so proud of these kids!! They both put out a hard effort, and they both did so well!!

Every day should be as good as today.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SWEETNEEY 5/28/2013 8:26AM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
REDHATSHAPELY1 5/26/2013 9:57AM

    Awesome blog! You are setting a great example for your grandkids!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANNEMAC5 5/26/2013 9:03AM

    Great blog what an example you are giving them, fantastic to start them so young and have them run with you. A pity about the nosebleed but she kept going and they both look so proud with their awards.

Report Inappropriate Comment
BECKYANNE1 5/26/2013 8:53AM

    How awesome especially when all of you got awards!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINKY 5/25/2013 11:20PM

    What a great day! Your enthusiasm is definitely contagious!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DEDICATED2HIM 5/25/2013 6:32PM

    Great Job. Your shoulder sounds like my hip. My one hip has been replaced four times in two years. And the other hip just once. But I've heard shoulders hurt a lot more than hips so you have my condolences I need both shoulders replaced now but am stalling.
Congrats on placing first in your age. Great work by your kids too.

Report Inappropriate Comment
NIKKICOLE83 5/25/2013 5:21PM

    I love seeing kids running in races. I think it not only builds confidence but it also gives them a sense of independence. I look forward to having children and having them join me on my race days.

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEW-CAZ 5/25/2013 3:21PM

    emoticon to you all, great to see some young uns so active emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
BKWERM 5/25/2013 2:15PM

    Congratulations to all of you especially Melanie. I'm so glad she finished, bloody nose and all and I love that she and her brother both placed 2nd in their age group.


Report Inappropriate Comment
3G1RLS4ME 5/25/2013 2:12PM

    I can't wait till my daughter does a 5k with me maybe next yr shell be 5 then

Report Inappropriate Comment
LINDAKAY228 5/25/2013 1:43PM

    That is so awesome on all counts! The kids are amazing and Melanie really did an awesome job of finishing! With the things you describe, it would have taken me longer than 41 minutes to navigate the stairs and the slippery grass! And you time too sounds great to me with the conditions! Hope you are all going to do something special to celebrate!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SUZYMOBILE 5/25/2013 1:36PM

    So wonderful that all of you ran AND finished so well! Swimming in the Ohio River, though? Yikes!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Last Page