Friday, March 30, 2012
Something happened last night that made me start thinking. Last night was the last fund raiser for our Senior class for their Senior Trip to Florida. These dinners are traditionally packed and this one was no different. I was hiding out in the dessert room, helping to cut hundreds of homemade pies and cakes to serve to the masses. I noticed 3 things (2 really good and 1 that just plain made me MAD).
1. Even being surrounded by all of these yummy treats, I really didn't want to take a taste of them. I didn't think about it all night until I got home. The only one that was even slightly appealing to me was the fruit torte. Lots of yummy fresh fruit and cream.
2. One of the teachers came in and said I saw you at the gym the other night. Now I don't normally go to the gym because it is just to far to fit into my schedule. But this week I have made the effort to push myself there. There are just some things I can do there that I can't do at home. He said that he had just started going and was going to say something to him but it looked like I was in my zone and he didn't want to interrupt. I laughed and said I must have been running. But his comment stuck with me, I don't want to make the gym my social time, but there is nothing wrong with helping someone else who is just starting out. Isn't that why I'm on Spark to get motivation and encouragement for my goals? So later in the evening I saw him again, I started talking to him about what my fitness goals are and why. What I use for motivation and how I keep myself going? Guess what I have a new workout buddy, our goals are different but the steps are similar.
It is amazing what you find when you are not even looking for it.
The last thing really ticked me off and reminded me why I want my children to know that their is life outside this little town with narrow minds. Like I said, I was hiding out in the dessert room with my BFF talking and laughing and generally having a good time when a different school employee came in. She was throwing a fit about the art teacher (my new workout buddy), I really wasn't paying attention to her because honestly I have never liked her, she hates kids so I have yet to figure out why she works in a school. The kids were talking about prom and how a couple of the girls wanted to go with each other and not dates. Bring in some kids from other school and everything. One of the girls said that the principle wasn't going to let her bring her best friend since her boyfriend couldn't come because she was a girl. This perked my attention, seriously he said that. The discussion continued and it turns out that they can bring whoever they want but this woman that I don't like said "Why do you want to bring a girl, your not GAY like this thing in this room?" My BFF and I just stood there for a second, we couldn't believe what she had said. Ward is a great guy, he cares about the kids in the school, teaches art and volunteers to teach them a foreign language since our school district doesn't see the importance of even offering it. He spends hours and hours volunteering his time and has been one of the best additions to our district in a long time while this woman does nothing but put the kids down, yell and scream and try to get them in trouble (her son in law was the school board president until he was voted out this year which is the only reason she hasn't been fired). After processing that she was not kidding or joking and didn't even seem to think she had done something wrong, Rhonda and I went off. "Seriously, I would rather have a thousand people like Ward in our district than even one small minded, hate filled woman like you even though you are the janitor. You should not be around our kids, you don't like them or respect them and apparently you don't respect anyone." There were other things said but that was the jist. Her eyes got wide and she high tailed it out of the room and told the principle that we had yelled at her for no reason. He spent the rest of the evening apologizing to us frequently trying to placate us. I think he is scared and he should be, seriously this is 2012 not 1950. I know we live in backward rural missouri but honestly grow up people.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
All of my life, I have not had a problem eating to much. In reality, my problem is soda which I have blogged about before. At my worst, I have been known to drink a 2 ltr plus 4 or 5 20oz bottles of soda a day. Not the diet kind either, the full calorie totally bad for you kind of soda. My poison of choice was Dr Pepper. I have been drinking Dr Pepper since I was 7 years old. I don't remember ever drinking anything else. Looking back, I really don't know how I don't weigh even more than I do because I was drinking 3 to 4 days of calories plus eating a full days worth of calories. By the formula I should have gained around a pound a day, thank goodness the math isn't always the way that we work. Both in losing weight and gaining weight other factors come into play. My actions steps up until now have been to decrease the dr pepper to 36oz total and increase the exercise to 60 min cardio 6 days a week and staying within my sparkpeople calorie guideline. Today, I'm adding another action step to my program.
I have really thought about what step I should add. I had to think about what my goals truly were in this life change.
A. To live a healthier more active life.
1. I want to run an adventure run next year.
a. I am currently doing the C25K to start my running journey.
b. I am strength training 2 days a week to increase my lean muscle mass.
2. I want to get my blood work numbers into the healthy range.
a. I am checking my fasting blood sugars every morning.
a1. They have decreased from a high of 223 to an avg of 130.
b1. Still need to work on getting this number down to less than 100.
b. I weigh most days, I don't stress about the number.
a1. The number is not the defination of me, it is just a tool and I use it.
3. I want to increase the nutrition level of the foods that I eat and drink.
a. I am going to eliminate my soda intake.
a1. Step 1 was getting my intake down to 36 oz a day total.
b1. Step 2 is getting my intake down to 24 oz a day total.
c1. Step 3 is getting my intake down to 12 oz a day total.
d1. Step 4 is no soda.
b. I need to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day within my diabetic numbers.
a1. Step 1 was staying in my calorie guideline
b1. Step 2 is adding in the correct breakfast (calories, fat, protein, carb)
c1. Step 3 is adding in the correct midmorning/mid afternoon snack.
d1. Step 4 is adding in the correct lunch
e1. Step 5 is adding in the correct dinner
f1. Step 6 is adding in the correct late night snack
c. I need to increase my water intake to 8-12 glasses a day.
a1. Drink a full glass of water when I get up
b1. Drink a full glass of water before morning workout.
c1. Drink a full glass of water after morning workout
d1. Drink a full glass of water with morning/afternoon snack.
e1. Drink a full glass of water with lunch.
f1. Drink a full glass of water before afternoon workout
g1. Drink a full glass of water after afternoon workout
h1. Drink a full glass of water with dinner
i1. Drink a full glass of water before evening workout
j1. Drink a full glass of water after evening workout
Yes, I am a list maker. Have a great day everyone. Spark on!!!!
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Okay, so for those that read my blog yesterday. The evil John (aerobic trainer) did not win this round. I popped out of bed with just a little minor soreness in my hips and abs.
I'm heading to the gym to run for a bit and then go back tonight to face John for round 2.
Boot Camp held in the fight academy. Now do I think that I am going to be the next great MMA fighter, ha I think not. I think having the class in the fight academy is just one more tool in John's arsenal against me. He is trying to psych me out. I will take round 2, I am sure of it.
Monday, March 26, 2012
What I really want to say to the perky fitness instructor when he says:
1. The smile and say just one more while in a weird medieval chinese torture position. Hello, this hurts, I don't want to do more.
2. Just try it! What, seriously, my foot does not belong next to my ear. Never has never will.
3. Feel the burn. If I felt the burn any more, my arms would fall off.
4. Didn't that feel great. Honestly, I would rather go through child birth over and over again than come back to this class.
5. This is my favorite. You enjoy putting yourself in medival torture positions and do it for FUN. Are you insane?
6. Engage that core. Okay, I have had 6 children, I have no core left. It ran away a long time ago.
7. You should come to the evening class it is way more intense. Seriously, what do you do waterboarding? Because this is about as intense as I can handle.
8. See you on Wednesday. Yeah, sure if I'm able to move my butt out of bed in the morning because I am sure that every muscle in my body is going to rebel at this torture.
I will beat this evil person at their own game. I truly hate him with every fiber of my being. My revenge = going back on Wednesday and proving I can still move (I hope, lol)
Thursday, March 22, 2012
I was thinking about something today. I don't know why it hit me today, but it really did.
I have been doing my children a dis-service.
I know that setting a good example is important. But is it enough, really do I think that it is.
As a mom, I require that my kids get good grade. I require that they do their chores. I require that they go to church. I require that they are civil to each other and that they are polite members of society. I require my kids to do community service.
What I haven't required is just as important as what I require. I don't require that they "exercise" in an intential manner. I haven't stressed the importance of being fit and healthy.
Yes, they are all active in sports and just living. But I have failed them.
I have failed to instill in them a life long habit that will not only help them physically, but emotionally as well. I have failed to give them the tools that they will need to lead a healthy life.
Last night, while I was running this thought crossed my mind. Not only did it cross my mind then but it continued throughout the night and into today. What have I done to promote my kids living a healthy life.
Nothing, I have showed them how not to eat healthfully, I have not instilled in them a life long habit of exercise.
So that is my goal, I know that my older children that no longer live at home will see our example. But the kids that still live here are going to get active. We are going to exercise as a family. A happy (mostly) more healthy FAMILY.
My blogs are going to be about our action steps to be a healthier family in the next few weeks. I feel like this is one of the most important things that I can do for my family as a mother. I am so excited.
Get An Email Alert Each Time JENHARDI13 Posts