Monday, June 13, 2011
It could be a DMB song or we could be talking about my body ...or my emotions ...but for today, to narrow it down...we'll keep to my body
So...I started and finished couch to 5k. Did a 5k
Then I moved on to Coach Mike's 10k training...no 10k that weekend but I was ready to meet the duathalon challenge and finished 3rd in my age group
But when that was over, and when I was doing any old fitness, I had routine (but not sharp or burning) soreness in my knee. With any kind of fitness I chose.
Perhaps fortunately, or unfortunately...my basement flooded, no A/C, and hot as all tabasco outside...caused me to pause
I wasn't terribly happy when the xray revealed not much of anything wrong on a near 37 yr old knee. I did get a referral to a PT group (and I did not last year when I injured myself pretty badly). Fastforward to this evening, when I finally had my appointment. So what did I learn?
1) My IT bands are tighter than a banjo string
2) My left leg is 1 cm shorter than my right
3) Due to #1, I have a pretty nasty tracking issue of the left kneecap
4) My left quad is noticeably smaller than the right
5) My right leg is bowed in, and it is pretty noticeable (therfore affecting gait)
6) My quads are tighter than a banjo string too
7) The 'fat pads' on my knees were noticeable
So what's the Rx for busted stuff? PT twice a week. They showed me how to do exercises that I have to do on non PT days. Doc can give me an insert for the shorter leg, but longer distance probably wouldn't be the wisest move. Especially with the right leg bowing. Yeah, I've got common sense. Good thing I want to get to a sub 30 5k, right? Doc asked 'you aren't planning on losing anymore weight, right?' Eesh.
Good thing it's pool weather because one of the best types of fitness is swimming. Time to channel my late gma's swimming greatness and make some good of it. Or get really buff