Tuesday, June 01, 2010
So nearly a week has passed. My husband and his brother rushed over (after just returning home) because we were told it was the 'C' word we were dealing with. Only to learn it was a precautionary doctor who wants us to know everything he is thinking could possibly be wrong with him.
The C-diff has cleared. The TB test was negative. He is not fully healed of the pneumonia. Late last week they did a bone study and took blood. They told us they were looking for multiple mylenoma.
The spots on the CT scan became 'we're not sure'. It could have been from prolonged Prednisone use. So the blood work and other things to come would look further.
I decided to pull the kids out of school early on Friday and head over. My parents would be there, so I could go see him in isolation. I did take my 10 yr old. He saw his grandfather as he came out of the bone study. He would not be allowed to go into his isolation room in ICU. As I watched him breathing, all I could think was how he could not continue to breathe in this way for much longer. His breathing is severely labored, and he breathes more from his stomach. He looks like he is trying to do crunches laying flat on his back. I know there has been talk of intubation, but he has not said he is ready for that yet.
He had a lung biopsy today, and thank heavens they were watching closely. His lung became partially collapsed and they said they could put a tube in to help correct the problem. He asked what would happen if he said no, and they said it would collapse almost 100 percent and he would then need surgery to fix it. He agreed to the tube. Also, they could not get what they needed in the biopsy so they would do a 'smear' test.
The oncologist came in, and what they could tell my husband (in his father's presence, anyway) was that they found proteins present. The proteins in the blood could indicate cancer (the multiple mylenoma they were looking for). I asked if they told him the type of proteins and he said 'no'. So more waiting. He said they may, if the lung smear test does not show more of what they need to know, have to do a bone marrow test.
Late last week, FIL said he wanted to go home to die. Trouble is, he is getting breathing treatments every 4 hrs. His breathing is just painful to watch. He can't walk. I have no idea what the man is thinking. I can understand he just wants peace, but in the hospital they can keep him as comfortable as possible. Treat him humanely. He does not deserve to go home (unsafe discharge) and die from lack of breath.
And so we keep going. More to learn in the days to come.