Saturday, February 07, 2009
Today is about appreciating my achievement. I would rather stay positive and not give up. The scale will move slowly, and I have to accept that. I have some people saying 'give your body a day or two of rest'...but I feel that I would come up with excuses or get busy with the kids in the time I should exercise and then just end up mad. Daily movement is what got me to where I am so far!
So how did I change things to lose my first 11 lbs? Here is a run down:
- Decreased coffee consumption to 8-10 oz./day
- Increased water consumption to 40+ oz/day
- Portion control/label watching
- Whole grains only (pasta, bagel, bread)
- Decrease in starch consumption (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread). I do eat rice, but a measured portion. I do have pasta, but I picked up whole grain and it is a measured portion
- Eliminated flavored creamers for my coffee. Instead, I use a packet of splenda, 1/4 cup of skim, and a sprinkle of nutmeg
- Exercising daily. I first started switching off Pilates and elliptical. It became hard to get space on the TV, so I put on the iPod and hit the elliptical. I could only go 5 minutes at first. I got up to 40 minutes. I just found a SELF article on switching resistance every other minute and I burn the same amount of calories in 27 minutes as I did in 40.
- Finding foods that satisfy me but don't kill my calorie count/other counts
I still have a ways to go. However, I am approximately 15 lbs away from a healthy BMI. That alone is a huge achievement. Once I get to that point, I will welcome any further loss, but know that I made change that made a difference.