Saturday, April 30, 2011
Does anybody else use Firefox and have problems with Spark in Firefox? It keeps eating my blogs saying that my password is wrong or something...bizarre!! So let's try again...This has been making the rounds and I don't have anything better to do so....here we go.
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
No...although there was a popular song with my name about the time I was born. Considering the number of people with my name born about the same time I think that song had an influence on a lot of parents :).
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Thursday...I was overwhelmed with someone's vote of confidence in me (more on that next week...gotta wait to see the end result before telling the story).
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
Meh, it's legible but could be better.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Was ham before I found this super yummy and lean roast beef at the store. So much flavor, it makes the yummiest sandwiches.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Three (boy, girl, girl).
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
I'm more facetious than sarcastic.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Never. I get nervous driving over a bridge why on earth would I jump off of one, or its equivalent?
0. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
Cap'n Crunch-lol!! Oatmeal and Raisin bran are my go to breakfast cereals...Cap'n
Crunch isn't breakfast, it's dessert-lol!!
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
More often than not...no. Don't yell at me, I know, I know and I will try to do better :).
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Mentally or physically....I guess the answer to either would be strong enough, but could always do with a bit of improvement.
3. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
15. RED OR PINK
Green-lol! Not much of a pink or red person, but if I have to choose, then pink, but a bold pink like Raspberry.
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING YOU DO
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
18. WHAT IS THE SPARK FEATURE THAT HAS HELPED YOU THE MOST?
Blogs...reading, writing and having them read :)
19. WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
Purple running shoes (my faves-they have lime green accents) :).
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
scrambled egg with tomato and a bit of cheddar cheese
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
T.V. show Kings on hulu
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Wood smoke, citrus blossoms and fresh squeezed O.J.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
District PTA president
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE?
Mountain hideaway, but near a source of water (lake or stream)
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
27. HAIR COLOR?
28. EYE COLOR?
Probably the most unique thing about me...goldish, greenish, hazel.
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
Used to, now just glasses.
30. FAVORITE FOOD?
Curry butternut squash soup. Almost anything with curry :).
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS
Happy endings. Not much of a horror fan, although I do enjoy thrillers a la Alfred Hitchcock. Make me think I'm scared, I don't need to see the butchering first hand.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
At a theater? Could not tell you...it's been too long...something kid related from the free summer matinees.
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
White race t-shirt with a heart shaped earth and runner girl wearing purple.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Fall. If I lived somewhere other than where I do then probably summer. It's too hot here so I love the change from hot to cool...it is refreshing.
35. HUGS OR KISSES?
Both, they go together :)
36. FAVORITE DESSERT?
No idea...today I'll say cheesecake, but ask again next week and it will probably be different. Dessert preferences change with time of the month and what is fresh or available. Next week it'll probably be strawberries with angel food cake :).
37. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO?
Both, like hugs and kisses they go together
38. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION?
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
42. FAVORITE SOUND?
Birds singing (unless it is outside my window at dawn-lol), my kids laughing and quiet.
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
Piano, sewing, crafts of most sorts, but not knitting. I can't knit.
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
47. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
48. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR HOUSE?
White with blue trim
49. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR?
50. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 50 QUESTIONS?
It's something to do.
Since question 41 is missing and I don't want to cheat you out of an answer....
41. Favorite workout?
Running...I especially get some sort of odd pleasure from hill repeats :).
Thursday, April 28, 2011
HATE it when that happens....now I don't have time to retype the whole thing...:(
Short version...ran 1.25 miles this morning. Thought I was going slow...ended up at a pace of only 1 minute slower than normal-lol!! Didn't have any problems with the foot and it was a great run.
Walked to get the kids from school again today...weather has been hot, but really nice and walking has been lots of fun...will do it again tomorrow :).
Went to store and stocked up on yummies...Cauliflower for soup (even though the weather has been hot-lol), broccoli for a salad, feta for salads, avocado for something as yet undecided (probably salad), zucchini for something as yet undecided. Looking forward to several days worth of yummy vegs.
There you go...the chipmunk on speed version...okay now I've gotta explain chipmunk on speed-lol. When I was working as a secretary if the day was really stressful, or if I was under a time crunch, I had a habit of talking really fast. I answered the phone once something like this "centerforbehavioralmedicineheatherspeakin
ghowmayihelpyou." The person on the other line said "are you a chipmunk on speed? I didn't understand a word you said". At which point I slowed down and tried again. Yep, sometimes when I am trying to do things really fast I talk like a chipmunk on speed. :)
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
We I run I use the itty-bitty shuffle my husband got me last year. It's cute, it's tiny, it holds quite a bit of music and it clips to my shirt so I don't need an armband. Unfortunately it does not do playlists. This is the thing I miss most about my bigger ipod. When I first got the shuffle I sat down and loaded as much music from my previous playlists as I could and it has worked okay. I do find myself skipping songs that I've gotten tired of or that just don't feel right at the moment. Normal stuff :).
Today I found myself with a little time and in itunes so I added a few songs and unclicked a WHOLE bunch of songs so that my shuffle playlist would be much shorter and I would hear songs I wanted more often. There were some painful cuts made...no more Springsteen, a bunch of my Wideawake went, a lot of Counting Crows, some Keane, the one Kanye went, most of my Fine Frenzy, and quite a few others.
I added a few...like Firework-Katy Perry, Notbroken-Goo Goo Dolls, and a few others...some great cool down or warm-up...guess I'm in a "romantic" mood...the rocker chic is hibernating or something. My tastes in music are far reaching...I have a very eclectic selection in my itunes library. But, after I was done rearranging I went back and was scanning back over my selections and started to laugh...here is a list of some of the titles left on my play list when I run...
Move Along-The All-American Rejects
Come Back to Me-David Cook
Catch Me-Demi Lovato (I know...but I like the song and think she stands a chance of developing real talent)
Hold On-KT Tunstall
Stop and Stare-One Republic
Never Give Up-Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band
Many the Miles-Sara Bareilles
I Want to be Sedated-the Ramones
Maybe Tonight, Maybe Tomorrow-Wideawake
LOL-Crackin' myself up...yep, that's my running life in music titles!! "Catch Me" fits because right now I can't catch anybody, I'm the one saying "Come back to me", but if I don't fall for "Maybe Tonight, Maybe Tomorrow" too many times, maybe someday I will be saying Catch Me!! :)
The list is by no means comprehensive, but all those titles jumped out at me and made me laugh that those would be the ones I would leave. Gosh, think I need motivation much? LOL!!
So...now you've gotten a glimpse into the types of things I have on my playlist...what is/are your favorite(s) from your playlist? I might want to be adding some more great songs soon :).
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Sing the title to Back in the Saddle Again :). Well, since my emotional catharsis on Sunday my foot has continued to improve and barely hurts at all now. I've been getting around the house with no problems and only an occasional twinge every now and then. It really feels like I did to my foot what my knee always does. Something "slid" out of place, was painful and then went back. I hope it never happens again. Glad I saved the $100 when I couldn't get into the doctor (yes, because it feels better I'm not going...I know...don't yell at me...if it happens again hopefully we'll have insurance again by then and I can go-hopefully it won't happen again).
Anyways, today I had on schedule a run and skipped it. I was planning on doing a video a little later. When it was almost time to leave to get the older two from school youngest asks if we can walk. Me" "Mmm I don't know about that. I've got all those books I have to take back to Mrs. Cipriani." Her: "We can take the big stroller and the books can ride in back and I can ride in front."
Out logic-ed by a four year old.
I tried to think of reasons not to walk. I tried to weasel out of it. In the end I really couldn't come up with a great reason to not walk. It is only about 1.5 miles round trip so if my foot started to hurt it wouldn't be far to get back. I also know a mom who always drives and if needed I could call her and we would work SOMETHING out. So I decided to make my daughter happy and strapped on the sneakers. It felt good to have them on my feet again :). Like revisiting an old friend I hadn't seen for a time :).
Got some water together because it is warm today and I knew the kids would be happier walking if we had water. Dusted off the stroller (yeah, that was kind of sad, I've been letting hubby do the school pick-ups and he usually doesn't walk unless we are running out of gas and lacking funding to get more-lol). Then off we went. A little twinge at first, but just a little one and my stride was a little odd starting out, but once I found my walking pace and hit my stride all was good. Occasionally there would be a twinge, but not a pain, really it felt like stiff muscles being used again and complaining just a little, by the time we were on the return trip with all the kids along I hardly felt any discomfort at all.
Me, being the impatient creature that I am, immediately thought about going for a run later-lol!! Hey, my foot handled a walk just fine, why not a run!? Yeah, my inner personal trainer told the impatient me to back off.
(yeah, my inner personal trainer is a sexy little thing)...you know, this is your first weight bearing exercise in, like, a week, you need to still be cautious and test the waters a little more before diving in head first.
(whiny voice) But I wanna run...
Fine. Be that way, I'm gonna run Thursday though.
Okay. I've still got to do anyways and lots of housework that didn't get done while I wasn't mobile.
So, we agreed that I will not run until Thursday, but I've still got lots to keep me busy, some yoga will feel good and I will either walk again tomorrow or pull out that DVD in order to give the foot another test before Thursday's scheduled run. So far, looking like I am at least sort of back on track.
I haven't registered yet for my 10K and am staying open to making it a 5K depending on how things go the next couple of weeks. Not going to the doctor wasn't the smartest decision, so I am trying to employ my brain on the other things. Feeling happy (tried to get in a funk earlier, but did a mental one-page journal and tossed the funk out the door and sealed the deal with my bright, sunny, warm with lovely breezes, walk. :) On track for this week's goals-yay!!
Sunday, April 24, 2011
Long story short...hurt my foot, got mad, foot feels better. Weird? Yep!! Wrote a really long blog analyzing that and what it could mean and it was kind of too deep even for me, maybe that's why the computer ate it.
Most branches of medicine recognize in some way or another that emotions play a part in how the body feels. If you hold on to stress you will get sick or experience pain or something else (have a heart attack).
Several days ago I hurt my foot, no explanation, I just stood up and it hurt and kept getting worse. Forcing me to do practically nothing for 4 days. Today, I got mad and started sweeping and the pain went away. The flexibility that had been missing returned. I've experienced this with my knee. My knee will sometimes just "slide" out of place and stay stuck in a very painful position for an hour, several hours, a day, two days. There is no pattern or way to tell. Sometimes I can do this little leg jiggle, popping thing and it will slide right back, sometimes there is no budging it until it decides to go. It is almost like this is what my toe did...slid out of place and then suddenly popped right back, leaving residual soreness, but nothing that could be called pain.
The suddenness of the relief coupled with the intense emotion made me think about how out of balance my life has been. I've been experiencing some of the most prolonged and intense stress I've ever known. I've been keeping the plates spinning, but it hasn't been great. Just as I think I've got them going and they will do that for awhile something happens and one of them stops spinning, or slows down so much it is about to crash. Other times I'll know I've got them going good now and can take a breather, but then I look and someone has added a few more plates. I'm constantly running and trying to keep things going. My housework has suffered, my school work has suffered, my workouts have suffered, my laundry has suffered, I have suffered from this stress in my life. What have I done to deal with it? Evidently not enough. I have been trying to be calm, supportive, helpful, useful, happy, upbeat, etc. I haven't however been acknowledging how I really feel about some things and I've been ignoring them instead of finding answers to the problems. Does this have an effect on my foot? Most American Doctors would say "no way". Eastern medicine however acknowledges that it is entirely possible that my injury and my stress are tied together in ways that can be hard to explain. Whatever the case I can see that there need to be some changes. I cannot continue running from plate to plate and still be the person I want to be.
So, it is Sunday and I am setting some goals for the week.
1. Each day this week I will do a "one-page journal". A one-page journal is where I sit down and evaluate my day. Particularly the BAD parts of the day. What ticked me off? What caused stress? What made me mad? It all goes down on paper and gets evaluated. Why did that make me mad? Can I avoid this situation in the future? Is this a person or situation that HAS to be a part of my life? What can I do better? I'm still going to deal with events as a mature, loving person. This is not a license to lose my temper so I'll have something to write down. It is something more personal...an acknowledgement that even though I did not flip her off the cussing baseball mom made me really angry and what can I do about it? This instead of trying to pretend that she doesn't make me furiously angry with her bullying, childish, and rude behavior. The list goes in the trash because that is where negativity belongs, what will stay behind are the goals and ideas that will help me be a better person who is more able to deal with stress.
2. Yoga is making a BIG come back...3-4 sessions this week and hopefully each week from here on out. For me, yoga works. It helps me focus. It helps me find my center. It helps me find balance in more ways than one. I feel the difference in stress levels before and after yoga.
3. Personal scripture time. I seldom mention my religion or spirituality in this space. I have spent a lot of time compartmentalizing my life. Unfortunately life cannot be compartmentalized. Everything works together...each piece a different cog in a machine that needs to work more efficiently. This part is VERY personal though and this space is more about the fitness journey. I am recognizing for myself though that this time plays a big part in my overall fitness. Emotional fitness affects physical fitness affects spiritual fitness. So this piece needs to be done daily...besides the fact that for me, scripture study is a portal to meditation which is a portal to inspiration which solves problems.
4. Physical fitness. It feels good to work out. It releases stress. It makes me happy. As of now my foot still feels much, much, much better. I am NOT however rushing out the door on a run. Nope, I will try something a little lower impact over the next couple of days and give it a chance to keep healing. Day by day as far as the foot goes. Maybe I'll pull out the Tae-bo or bootcamp DVDs that have been in their folder since last year when half-marathon training took over my life.
Seeking a balanced life won't be easy, but I know that when I have balance I will feel better and I will have fewer injuries and illnesses. I will be all around healthier when I live a balanced life. Let some of the plates crash to the ground, not all of them are important and I need to give my energy to the ones that ARE important.
*crash*...that's the sound of one less spinning plate
Get An Email Alert Each Time ITSHOWYOULIVE Posts