Monday, August 16, 2010
First a quick catchy-upy...Saturday...Went for a lovely little run with my sister. I am being only mildly facetious. It was an absolutely beautiful morning. A little on the cool side when we first got started, but we warmed up fast enough. If you read my sister's blogs too (which you really should do) this part will be a bit of a repeat, but we started at a Wal-Mart, made a lap and started a five mile run. My pre-run fuel was a PowerBar BerryBlast Smoothie Bar or something like that, I've tossed the wrapper so couldn't tell you the exact name. I only ate about a third. The texture was better than the same bar in orange, unfortunately, I suffered psychological damage as a child when I became quite severely ill and had to take this medicine that made me puke EVERY time I had to take it...the flavor of this wonderful elixir was berry (I think raspberry) to this day certain berry flavors do not sit well. This poor power bar had that particular berry flavor to it, but I still thought overall that the bar was okay, just the flavor for me was wrong. I might be convinced to try it again, someday maybe I'll get over the aversion thing.
So, anyways, this run takes us through a local park and is over gentle and frequent small hills. It was enough to make me work and not get bored, but not overly fatiguing. It is a beautiful, tree lined route, almost entirely cement, which I don't like, but it was still an awesome run. According to my mapmyrun.com route I went 5 miles, according to my sister's Garmin I didn't. I'm still going with the mapmyrun!! lol!! Oh, almost forgot, I fueled mid-run with a Clif Shot chocolate (thanks Kristina). It was quite yummy, but it was the first time I "gelled" mid-run and it was awkward at best! lol! I think this might be a skill, like drinking on the run, that needs to be practiced to be perfected!!
Like my sister, form was the order of the day, and we didn't even discuss it ahead of time! There were a couple stretches where I could tell my form was totally disintegrating, it wasn't just getting off it was disappearing all together. Each time this happened I took a short walk break, one song in length since that was the easiest measurement I had. After the walk break I was back on form and good to go for another mile or so. I came home stretched out my legs and then did some strength for the arms. The rest of the day was uneventful.
Sunday, went to church, came home, stuck the kids in their rooms for "naps", which actually worked for the girls this week! While I was sitting on the sofa and looking at the computer I heard this huge bang. At first I thought it was an earthquake, but there was no additional shaking. My husband and myself were both asking "what was that". I just happened to look out the window and caught a glimpse of blue, our trim is blue. It was then that I realized that the aluminum awning that covers the side door had collapsed!! It was resting against the outside stairs and was still attached at the lower support bars to the house, but the top, which had previously been attached at the roof line had basically ripped out of the wall. Okay, so it ended up being not such a big deal, we are waiting to find out from the community management if we have to put it back up or if we can get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. We don't really need it, it was there when we bought the house. It provides a shelter for that side entrance but, A) it hardly ever rains here and B) we don't use that entrance except as an entrance to the yard for the kids and dog. I figure A)we were very lucky that one of the kids wasn't outside and standing there when it happened and B) if it came down once it can come down again and next time maybe one of the kids will be standing there. My husband and I both looked at the awning as he moved it from the stairs to lean it up against the side of the house. What we discovered was that the screws seemed to be a bit on the short side and there is a piece of trim at the roof line, where the awning was screwed in that had bowed outward. We both think that the screws were not long enough and only went into the decorative trim instead of into the wall itself and that the piece that was bowing out was the piece under the most pressure and that the bowing caused the screws to loosen everywhere else and finally collapse. Scary, but not such a big deal at the end of the whole thing. If we have to put it back up my hubs will call some friends to help and he will use longer screws! He can also repair the piece of trim that is bowing out and make that better. I'd rather just paint the trim and patch the holes the larger brace screws made-they didn't rip loose just splintered the wood surrounding one (drilled into a decorative shutter). I told hubs that it sure was nice to have him around. I am not one of those helpless women and would have figured out how to deal with it on my own, but I was sure glad I had him to give it to! Exciting and got the heart beating but nobody got hurt so it was okay. So, today, I kept wondering which piece of the house would fall off next-lol! I've never had a part of the house just fall off before!
Today was a pretty good day. Housework day, the kids were relatively kind to etch other. I let them make movies with my camera and the only arguments were over who's turn it was. So, the kids are making their movies. My camera is just a basic little point and shoot digital camera, the one I use for all those everyday little purposes, but like most digital cameras these days it has a video function. The kids are having a blast making little movies, its keeping the occupied and for the most part everyone is happy so that means I am happy. I am doing basic household things, walking around picking up a toy here, a sippy cup there, I accidentally bump a plug and it falls out of its outlet so I fix that. I turn on some music in place of the t.v. that's been on all day. A choice my kids wouldn't necessarily like, but one that I enjoyed-Verdi. I walk into the girls' room to see how it is looking and then I walk into the kitchen to work on dinner. My 6 year old comes to me and says "Mommy, you want to see my movie?" So, while I am in the kitchen, washing off my squash, my daughter shows me her movie.
Oh look there is my arm as I hand youngest her cup to take to the sink. And then I got a quick glimpse of me and reflexively flinched. I don't end up in front of the camera very often, I'm always taking the pics and over the years I've developed a reflex action reaction to pics of me..."uggh, quick erase it"! But, today I got the quick glimpse and flinched, but then my brain said "wait a minute, keep watching". So I kept watching and what I saw wasn't all that bad! I was surprised! It was far from wonderful, but my daughter did a wonderful job of catching me in profile-in my opinion the worst angle and it wasn't scary. Then she caught me from behind and I actually thought, hey, that's actually looking pretty good back there. Still enough junk in the trunk that in one shot my shirt was "caught" on my tush, but in more shots that shirt was hanging exactly where it belonged and exactly the way it should be, no tug, no pull, no weird hung up on flab wrinkles. So, even though the scale is still stuck, there is still something to believe in!! That tight tush I feel after a hill workout is becoming a reality and when the flab does finally gives up its strangle hold there is going to be one tight tush revealed. Pretty soon the flab will have to give up because the muscles it is clinging to are going to be so rock hard that there won't be anyplace to get a foothold. Something to believe in that someday my daughter will film me and when I see myself I won't flinch at all.
Friday, August 13, 2010
This blog is going to scatter in a few different directions so please bear with me...I am feeling kind of scattered today.
If I Could...I would spend a lot of money on running stuff!!
My sis and I were talking about this yesterday, we've discussed this from time to time...how expensive running can be!!
Everyone who has run has heard it and people who are thinking about it have heard it..."running is a really cheap way to get exercise-you buy a pair of shoes and off you go".
Yeah, right!!! I don't want to discourage anybody who is thinking about running or has just started. Running CAN BE quite inexpensive and if you don't have a budget for a bunch of extras that is okay, you can go running with a pair of shoes and that is it, well, please put something resembling clothing on, but you get the idea.
Since I am in the market for new shoes I've been doing some online research, well, my research is always thorough so I've been checking out more than shoes-oh dear!! I haven't spent anything, since I messed up our Car Insurance payment and it accidentally paid twice (oops!!) we have 0 cash while I wait for a reimbursement, but here is a sample of the wish list I've developed.
On the Saucony site...a jacket, two running shirts, a hat and their Vegan Jazz Original everyday sneakers.
On the Nike site...a winter running hat and a shirt
On the Bondiband site...oh about 10 different bands. For those who are saying what's a Bondiband-it is basically a headband, but made from wicking fabric-helps keep the sweat out of your eyes-something I REALLY need, the visor I wear keeps the sun out of my eyes but does nothing for the sweat. I feel silly wearing a visor when I'm running in the dark too. So there are 10 or more bands I would like for different outfits and seasons and runs.
On the Halo site-a visor with the Halo system-again designed to keep the sweat out of your eyes while running.
On itunes....oh, let's not even go there, because even though I am now running with a shuffle that holds, not a lot of music I get bored easily and like to mix up my music a lot. Well, it's been awhile since I've been on itunes and I've found a BUNCH of new music I would like to add.
On the Moving Comfort site...a couple bras, and a couple of shirts
On Athleta, oh my this might be one of the worst, because Athleta ACTUALLY carries really cute gear in plus sizes, so numerous items from them.
Not to mention the several sites I visited to check on hydration units.
I didn't even look at socks this time!!
If I could I would...buy a bunch of stuff. BUT it would all be fun stuff. Very little of it is actually necessary to make me a better runner. The shoes and the hydration are necessary since some runs are now over an hour long (mostly because I am so slow-lol). Running CAN BE a very cheap means of exercise, I just want to make it more expensive for the fun of it!!
If I could...I would be running a race tomorrow, but life gets in the way sometimes, so to all my So Cal friends running at Crestline tomorrow-have fun, be safe, good luck and we'll meet up at another race!!
If I could...I would give a big ol' hug to everyone who has ever commented or has yet to comment on my page and/or blog. Your support and encouragement have kept me going on dark days and I am still here a year+ later thanks t'y'all.
If I could I would run every race that supports cancer and crohn's/colitis research. Or, autism, or diabetes, or Megan's law or whatever. Wish I had the time, ability and funds. I can do what I can though.
If I could I would run a half marathon-oh wait, working on making that one happen. But, let me tall you...I am scared poopless!! I can't do this, what am I thinking!! Oh wait, I did a totally insane 10K and made it through that. The half is almost flat. I am training. I can walk that distance I am sure of that. 13 miles is a terribly long walk, but I can do it. I know I won't be walking the whole thing either. I can run 4-5 miles of it right now and I've got 13 weeks to increase that. Jeff Galloway may, once again, become my best friend, I cast him aside for awhile in favor of just running, but intervals might be making a comeback. Oddly a part of me is reluctant to admit that intervals are okay, that would be the irrational part that has been so vocal lately. The rational part knows that how I get to the finish line doesn't matter so much as the fact that I actually get there under my own power.
If I could...I would silence the irrational part of my mind...working on it, but doubt it will ever totally go away. That might be a good thing because I like proving that part of me wrong.
So.....the statement of the day is..."If I could...."
How would you finish that sentance?
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
I don't want to go to the running store to get my new shoes. I'm looking online and finding that a lot of companies now offer fit guides to help you find the right shoe. But, I know I need to go to the store and be fitted, so why don't I want to when I know it means a new, good, pair of running shoes at the end? I am looking at it as being akin to going to the dentist. Torture while you are there will huge benefits when you are done.
I don't want to go to the store because I am definately not your AVERAGE runner. I am a fat runner.
There it is, the reason I don't want to go into the store.
I don't mind Big5 sporting goods. Go in pick a pair or two get your size try them on and off you go. The sales person couldn't care less that you are in the store. Very little personal investment on either side.
At the running store I have to interact. I have to let them watch me run. I have to let them judge me!! ACCCCCKKKK. Granted the judging is supposed to be on a professional basis pertaining to my gait and pronation issues. I won't be the typical customer that day. My irrational mind is telling me the sales staff will be thinking "What is she doing buying running shoes", "Yeah, right she's a runner", or "Why do I have to be on today". My rational mind is saying "oh shut up, it's just a pair of shoes".
So can't I just order online? Nobody will see me then. And, I risk getting another pair of shoes that A) Just aren't right or B) are right, but don't last very long.
So, in a week and a half, off I go to the dentist, oh, I mean running store. I am prepared though. I've written down a couple (hundred) styles that are reportedly right for me and let's see if they match up. I'll make sure I get the right size and fit and then in the future I can order online.
It is time to break down and look at hydration systems in person too. Those I can order online too-after I determine what will work for me. Belt or pack? I drink a lot when I run so maybe a pack?
Shopping for shoes requires a trip out of town and will put us in the vacinity of a couple of larger sporting goods stores, so hopefully I'll get a chance to scope out some stuff and maybe find some fuel that is not available in town too.
So, daughter is BEGGING me for a banana smoothie. She says just banana. If I don't go do that soon we will probably see a revoltion in the making.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
The thing to do today...My kids are going crazy and this looks like fun and I have lots to do so ....
1. What time did you get up this morning? 5:00AM
2. How do you like your steak? Medium Well, although I am starting to lean more toward medium rare, as long as it is medium and not rare...
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Could not tell you...it's been eons since I've gone to the cinema and I'm sure the last thing I did see would have been at the children's free summer theater.
4. What is your favorite TV show? Just fell in love with Parenthood, love the story line and Army Wives, although this season is not keeping me engaged as much as previous seasons.
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Where my family is. If we moved far away I think I would have to make sure they moved too.
6. What did you have for breakfast? Chocolate squash cupcake, my daughter brought it to me so I ate it...
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Mexican
8. What foods do you dislike? I'm with Karvy -capers. I think they look like boogers and there is something about the flavor that I just don't like.
9. Favorite Place to Eat? With my sister-someplace that serves good food, I tend to choose Mexican. Islands serves up a mean vegi patty I could go for. Rubios has good tacos, The Taco Shop here in town does a mean chicken burrito.
10. Favorite dressing? Gonna keep my sister's answer for this one too. Raspberry Vinaigrette (actually I prefer Rasberry Walnut) when I'm being good and Bleu Cheese when I'm not. :-)
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? Kia Minivan
12. What are your favorite clothes? Comfortable ones. Have a couple of long skirts, denim and khaki that get worn a lot.
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? Germany-want to show my family where I lived for 18 months.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? Depends on what is inside the cup...
15. Where would you want to retire? I have to go somewhere else when I retire? I live in a retirement town and have seen how it makes old people act-no thanks!! Maybe I'll move into the hippest family development around-kids keep you young.
16. Favorite time of day? After dinner, chores are done for the day and the kids are getting ready for bed, it is just husband and I...love it.
17. Where were you born? Ogden, Utah
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Football. College ball to be specific, but the pros are good too.
19. How many siblings? 2
20. Favorite pastime/hobby? Same as my sister again...besides Spark and running - reading! Me-also scrapbooking.
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? responses? I have friends so I'm sure I'll get some, but it's all good.
22. Bird watcher? I like to watch my cat birdwatch-that is some pretty entertaining stuff.
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Night, please don't make me get up in the a.m. before the sun...it's not pretty most of the time.
24. Do you have any pets? Baxter the beagle, Kirby the kitty and Matanui the goldfish.
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? My sister will be a nana soon!!
26. What did you want to be when you were little? A teacher
27. What is your best childhood memory? Leaving my sister's answer again...Oh there's so many! Road trip summer vacations, camping, swimming...so many!
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Dog
29. Are you married? Yes, just celebrated 11 years.
30. Always wear your seat belt? Oh yes.
31. Been in a car accident? A couple
32. Any pet peeves? Of course and every 28 days or so they multiply like crazy.
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Canadian bacon and pineapple with cashews and BBQ chicken, can never decide between the two.
34. Favorite Flower? Sunflower and gerbera daisy
35. Favorite ice cream? Rocky Road-with marshmallows NOT marshmallow ribbon-yuck!!
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Rubio's
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? Got it right the first time
38. From whom did you get your last email? Spark
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Bed, Bath and Beyond was my first choice, but I love my sister's answer of Dick's Sporting Goods!
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? This blog was the most spontanious I've been lately
41. Like your job? If I didn't there is no quitting and getting a new one-I'm a mom 24/7- and yes I like my job-most of the time-I'll like it more when school starts again.
42. Broccoli? Yes!
43. What was your favorite vacation? Any of the many camping trips I've gone on-still fond of the trip when we packed all three of us kids, a cousin, and our german shepherd in our Pinto Station Wagon and drove from Southern to Northern California to visit an Uncle, we went through Yosemite, the Sequoias and other California Natural Wonders, as well as a great time water skiing with the uncle. That was an awesome trip.
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? My husband during anniversary weekend.
45. What are you listening to right now? The Backyardigans, daughters are watching it on Netflix streaming through the Wii
46. What is your favorite color? Green (my sister said red and I just realized that together we equal Christmas)
47. How many tattoos do you have? None.
48. How many people will fill this out? 7, 567, 443, yes I just pushed whatever keys I felt like pushing. Seriously, how am I supposed to know that??
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 12:06 PM PST (ask me how long it took...almost an hour because my girls kept needing help with their projects)
50. Coffee Drinker? Blech. No.
Get An Email Alert Each Time ITSHOWYOULIVE Posts