Wednesday, July 01, 2009
Seriously, I can't think of anything that could be considered exercise that I enjoy more than I enjoy swimming. I love how the water supports me and cradles me in its arms. I love how even when I am working hard, I hardly notice it, it only shows in my breathing. Even if I break a sweat I don't notice it. I love how strong my arms feel as I reach through a stroke. I love the power of my kick propelling me through the water. I am not fast. I am slow and steady. I could swim all day. I love the feeling of just floating. I am a natural floater. My son and I discussed the other day how some people are floaters and some are sinkers. Even at lesser weights I have always been a floater. I remember learning to float. For a little while it was scary trusting the water to support me. Just as it can be scary learning to trust any friend. But then I discovered my friend would not let me down. As a child I could float endlessly. A friend and I would sometimes have contests to see who could float the longest. We almost always had to call it a tie. Water and I are friends, we get along well and I can't remember ever being afraid of the water. I am sure I must have been a normal child and there must have been a time I stood at the water's edge and refused to enter. One of my earliest memories of summer is our family at the city pool swimming. My mother giving us rides to the mysterious DEEP END. I remember being thrown into the pool by my instructor without warning to show parents why it is important their children learn to swim. He had me walk the edge of the pool and then just shoved me in!! I wasn't scared, the water couldn't hurt me. Even in that moment I was not afraid, startled, yes, scared, no. I think that is why he chose me when I raised my hand when he asked for a volunteer. He knew I wouldn't panic. He knew that I would be okay. The water and I are friends. Normally I give things like horoscopes and astrological signs little credit, but maybe there is something in me being a crab, a water sign. My son is a pices, a fish, and until this year you would never know it. Flat out refusing to try anything resembling swimming, get in the water-of course. Let go of the edge and swim, never!! This year he won't stop trying to learn to swim. He practices doggy paddle, he practices holding his breath under water, he practices swimming under water. He is practicing floating. Today he performed his first cannonball!! LOL! Over and over and over and over! Once he got started he couldn't stop. Remember that thrill? Jumping into the air, feeling that momentary pause before plummeting into the chilly depths (even if those depths are only 4 feet deep)? By the end of summer I bet he is swimming side to side without any problem at all. He is no longer interested at all in the kiddie pool. Mama fish is very proud of her baby fish and can't wait until he is beating her in races going the long ways. Really is there any better way to get exercise than swimming? I know there are ways that have more cardio benefit and weight bearing exercises are important for our bones, but there is nothing I can think of that is more fun, relaxing and enjoyable.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Okay, been stuck in a funk for awhile now. Seriously need to get out of it. First I need to vent. Okay, BIG birthday yesterday!! 40!! I was a little freaked out and kept trying to think of things to do to make it special and really just kept hitting a wall. Funds are tight so I didn't feel like I could do much. So I did the WRONG THING. I will take some blame here for how yesterday ended up. My husband can be pretty clueless and my main plan was to allow him to figure out something to make my birthday special, you do need to know that recently we purchased an awesome set of VERY expensive kitchen knives and we agreed that those were my mother's day and birthday present so I knew I wasn't getting a pile of gifts. So, Sunday he makes dinner, okay, very nice, but NOT my birthday and not any sort of faux celebration either, he didn't invite anybody to help celebrate, there were no birthday treats or anything else, so not my celebration. Monday morning, he gets up early and makes a run to the Wal-Mart for milk. Comes home, I'm still asleep (it was still before 6:30 so I had every right to still be asleep) so he comes in says Happy Birthday and leaves for work. I get up do my stuff, get on spark, feel better about how the day is going, just kind of goof off all day. In the evening a friend and her kids came over to swim and that was fun, she offered to watch my kids while we went out, but I knew my mom was coming over and I still had no clue to what husband was planning so I declined. Turns out I should have accepted and just done my own thing. Taken myself out!! Talked to husband on the phone a little earlier in the day and he says he bought me a box of cereal. "HUH?" Cereal, what cereal? Turns out there is a box of cereal on the counter still in the Wal-Mart bag, I didn't see it-whatever. So I go check out this box of cereal. UGH!! Hubby has some things to learn about cereal. Turns out it is a box of some Kellog's faux health cereal. I hope all you sparkers know the kind I mean. The company put fruit in it or puts the word "healthy" or something like it on the box, but when you check out the facts you might as well be eating cocoa puffs and they would taste better too! This crummy box of cereal is NOTHING I have EVER purchased and is only 1 gram of sugar and 10 calories shy of being my kid's cereal. It claims to have 1 gram of fiber, but who knows. And seriously 1 gram is not what I aim for in a breakfast cereal. When questioned later what my all-time favorite cereal is-he tried to say cocoa pebbles, puhlease! My favorite cereal for 19 YEARS!! (yes, 19 years) has been Quaker 100% Natural Granola!! High in fat, but oh so yummy-it is a special treat!! I have loved this cereal for 9 years more than I have loved him!! Ergh! I KNOW he tried, but seriously, breakfast cereal?? He was at the freakin' wal-mart-flowers? no. a card? no. a trinket? no. a new blouse in my new smaller size? no. BREAKFAST CEREAL!! Okay, friends finish swimming, and go home, my mom comes over and brings a card and some scrapbooking stuff (yeah mom!!) and askes my husband what we are doing for dinner-his answer? A shoulder shrug! Ugh! Okay, I had a back-up plan-the kids wanted corn dogs earlier so I am ready to pull out the box and a cookie sheet when my mom asks if she should go buy dinner. I jump at it and we get El Pollo Loco-yummy and a reasonably healthy choice. During dinner hubby decides he needs to talk to somebody about a work related item that really could have waited, pulls out his phone and starts chatting with his friend. He even leaves the table and then comes back. After dinner he does more work stuff and more work stuff and sits on the sofa. I start cleaning up from dinner and can't remember why, but I didn't finish-think I got mad and decided to go read my book instead. Hubby did finally get up and went and cleaned the kitchen. Finally at around 9:30 I'm half asleep in the comfy chair when he comes over and puts some lotion on my feet. WOOOHOO. He is so clueless. So, THANK YOU FRIENDS AT SPARKPEOPLE!! THE BEST PART OF MY DAY WAS YOU GUYS!! I had a virtual party and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Okay, so I need to get back to work! The good news I didn't even go to See's like I planned for a truffle or two. So, today I am jumping back on the workout bandwagon!! Thankfully, I have a schedule worked out that I haven't been following so all I have to do is go check the schedule and get on it. Okay, gotta share, my youngest-the nearly 3 year old, just came over and is so excited she gets to wear her "new, pretty dress". Several weeks ago on a trip to the wal-mart I promised the kids they could pick out a toy. The youngest decided instead of a toy she wanted a new dress! Sure enough, she chooses a really cute pink sun dress. Dress was freshly laundered yesterday, so just now she found it and it dancing around and all excited about her pink dress. I had better start saving now the funds she is going to require for clothes as a teenager is going to be astronomical!! How many almost 3 year old choose clothes over toys?? Anyhoo, back to topic. I am going to work myself silly and then go buy myself a little something. I haven't decided yet, but I am thinking about a new blouse, something that will look FABU with the pants I now fit into. These favorite pants are cargo style capris that were the limit of casual when I was working. Usually I paired them with a more business style blouse to dress them up a little bit, so I really don't have a blouse that is cute and casual to go with them. There are so many cute summery tops out I'm sure I can find something. And hubby will have to learn that flowers and a card from wally world would have been cheaper than a new blouse.
Monday, June 29, 2009
I am "borrowing" this idea from another sparker because I liked it so much. I am 40 today so here are 40 things about me.
1. The one place I have visited that I really want to go back to is Germany-lived there for a year and a half working for my church and loved EVERY minute. I lived in Munich, Pforzheim, Heilbronn, Wurtzburg and Regensburg.
2. If I could transplant all my family members I would live in Regensburg full time. As close to the Danube as I could get.
3. I am crafty. I will try just about any craft created, but do well at only a handful. My knitting is atrocious, my crocheting is only mediocre, but I do well at cross stitch and scrap booking.
4. I love to take pictures and have a private gallery hanging in my bedroom of black and whites I've done.
5. The black and whites in my "gallery" were developed, mounted and framed by moi.
6. My new favorite word is "fabu" from the book "Devil in the Junior League" which I just finished and thoroughly enjoyed.
7. I love to read! Anything except horror. Several family members love Stephen King-I hate him.
8. The two t.v. shows I could watch endlessly-M*A*S*H and Star Trek-the original series with William Shatner, though I hear the new movie is awesome and I really want to see it.
9. I have a devil cat. Her name is Kirby and she intentionally picks on the children. She hunts them and she puts herself in their way so they can't get out of a room. Brattiest member of our family by far and I am the only one she loves.
10. I love to cook. Not everyday.
11. I suspect that in a previous life I was a pastry chef and am still paying the price for those naughty, naughty pastries I made.
12. I don't actually believe in previous lives-I believe we get one chance so we better make the most of it.
13. I still have an issue with most American chocolate and cheese after my stay in Germany and it has been 17 years. Ours just does not compare for the most part.
14. I wish somebody would create the position of professional student and pay for it so that I could make going to school and being taught a profession.
15. I have never been in labor despite having three children! All were c-section and with the first one induction didn't work-didn't cause even one contraction.
16. People have gotten mad at me when I say I miss not having the experience of having been in labor. I feel like I got off easy.
17. I've never had a nickname. Not that I can remember anyways.
18. My eyes are green, but people have actually stood in front of me arguing over their color.
19. My son says my eyes are cat eyes because they have gold in them.
20. I love classic movies.
21. I think Lucille Ball is the funniest woman ever. She made us laugh with out being crude or vulgar.
22. I got married when I was 30.
23. I had my first child a few months before I turned 34.
24. I hate roaches.
25. I can tolerate spiders and sadly have one living in my bathroom window-I haven't killed him because right now we are plagued with flies and he is doing a good job of decreasing their number. My kids named him Wolfy because their cousin told them that it is a wolf spider.
26. If I didn't have to think about things like safety, or where I would put three kids I would be driving a Ford Mustang Convertible
27. I am the sports fan in our family and have been known to scare the children during my college team's games when I am yelling at them to get it right.
28. My sister in law set up me and my husband and basically pushed him into getting the relationship rolling.
29. If I had a yard where I could have any dog I would have an Old English Sheepdog or a Great Dane. Love the dogs who go RUFF not so fond of the dogs who go yip-except Daisy of course-my sis' adorable dog.
30. I find our beagle to be obnoxious and needy, but love him anyway.
31. I love sunflowers, daisies and other "wild" type flowers, not so fond of roses-I think they are stuck up little flowers who think they are better than everybody else.
32. I do tend to anthropomorphize things. Which means: to attribute human form or personality to things not human-like thinking roses are stuck up.
33. I was a history major in college. My focus was American history from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War.
34. My favorite Americans include the standard G. Washington, and A. Lincoln, but include Daniel Boone, Amelia Earhardt, George Washington Carver, Clara Barton and Teddy Roosevelt and whole bunch of others. Yep, love the people who a) lived adventurous lives, b)lived lives in the service of others.
35. I am a klutz first class. This is better than your average klutz because we do things with STYLE. I once received a complement on how graceful one of my falls was.
36. My two best friends from high-school and I are now all related by marriages. Friend 1 married my mother-in-law's cousin (nothing weird in ages-MIL is from the older end of the family, he from the much younger end of the family). Friend 2's aunt is married to my husband's uncle.
37. Before I became a SAHM I worked as a secretary on a Mental Health Inpatient Unit. It was a locked unit-where the patient couldn't leave until we said so. Very interesting work.
38. I have a nephew in the Air Force and a nephew in the Army and am very proud of both of them.
39. In junior high I held two school records. I lifted the most weight for a girl on leg press and I lifted a set amount of weight on leg press the most times. I could barely walk for three days.
40. Earthquakes don't scare me, but I would never want to be in a tornado or hurricane-I hate strong winds, they scare me and make me feel nervous. I'm less afraid of an earthquake than I am a car accident.
Well, there you are 40 things about me that you might not have known (Kristen-you don't count you probably know all of this)!! Happy Monday everybody.
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Not much happening today. Went to church. Kids are not taking a nap. I got to watch Casablanca. DH will be grilling up some steaks later and maybe I'll get some scrapbooking in while we all try to stay cool in the heat our area is getting this weekend. Just a relaxing, do nothing sort of day.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Today, has been pretty good so far. We went to my nephew's baseball game and they won by 1 point!! It was a thrilling game. They made alot of errors, but it was their first All-Star game as a team so they did really well!! Nephew, AKA Bam-Bam, struck out in his first up, but then got base runs and pitched most of the final inning keeping the other team at zero runs for the win. The game ended in a thrilling double play when the final pitcher of the game, not Bam-Bam caught the ball for an out and then threw it home for an out preserving their 1 run lead and ending the game!! The kids were bored, but had enough cousins and a grandma present that they were at least occupied enough that we could watch the game. Everyone was tired when we got home and got a little rest in. Son has only two friends over now and I am done letting them take over my home and giving me a headache. They are playing video games and I was going in front of them to pick up some of the other clutter that had occured this morning and said "watch out I coming in front, excuse me, watch out I'm coming right here." And wouldn't you know one of the little stinkers says "Move, you are in the way." Hehe, yea, I didn't not let him get away with that one. I firmly and calmly told him "I told you I was coming in here you can pause the game and this is my house I will do what I want. Please don't speak to an adult that way." A few minutes later I went back for a couple more toys and sure enough this time there was no protest to me being in front of the screen. Hmph. We did our nails last night. I let my kids do my toes!! Remember, my 3 are all under 6. My toe nails and halfway up my toes are painted!! I proudly showed off my pedicure today at the baseball game and will do them over tonight. I currently am enjoying the rainbow toes design though. Some are orange, some are yellow, one is red and some are as purple as my page. Now it is time for a little more straightening up and then the scrapbooking stuff comes out. I've got wheat thins and tzatziki for a snack and a jug full of water. I'll hit the pool for a little while and just enjoy the rest of my day.
Get An Email Alert Each Time ITSHOWYOULIVE Posts