Sunday, May 30, 2010
I want to cut back my spending on food over the next four weeks, as I'll be away for all of July and August. So, I want to spend June using up the food that's in my house. I'm going to do an inventory of what I've accumulated in my pantry, fridge and freezer:
* = unopened, would still be good after summer holidays if left unopened
2.5 boxes of whole wheat pasta
0.25 bags of whole oats
1 carton unsweetened chocolate Almond Breeze*
2 packs plain rice crackers*
1 carton vanilla "lite" soy milk*
0.5 bag brown rice
1 can chickpeas*
1 can coconut milk*
1 jar tahini*
1 jar yellow curry sauce*
0.75 jar ancient grains blend (rice, barley, quinoa, etc.)
2 bags red lentils*
1 box Tuscan Bean Soup (Knorr)*
12 protein bars
0.5 bag dried fruit
2 lbs russet potatoes
0.5 box Fibre One cereal
1.8 box Kashi Go Lean (1 box unopened*)
2 loaves Silver Hills Big 16 Sprouted Grain Bread
1 ziplock bag full of assorted bits and pieces of other loaves of bread
2 blocks extra-firm tofu*
1 large bag frozen fruit*
4 frozen bananas (2 peeled and chopped, 2 in peels)
1 large bag frozen beans and carrots
0.25 tub margarine
0.25 stick butter
0.25 jar natural peanut butter
1 head cauliflower
10 Babybel cheeses
100 grams cheddar cheese
1 red pepper
11 individual yogurts
0.5 carton tomatoes
0.8 jar curry paste
assorted salad dressings and sauces
So what I'm seeing here is...
- Make a curry (eggplant, red pepper, potato, cauliflower), portion it out and freeze it. Serve with rice?
- Eat whole-wheat pasta with fresh tomatoes in the next few days.
- Eat opened cereal for breakfasts, then move on to smoothies from frozen fruit.
- Snack on apples, Babybel cheese and yogurts.
- Eat remaining peanut butter with apples and/or on rice crackers.
Any other ideas?