HEIDI-25   27,327
25,000-29,999 SparkPoints
HEIDI-25's Recent Blog Entries

I'm back

Monday, June 10, 2013

So 6 weeks ago I sprained my foot falling off a ledge. This was after running the half marathon(13.1 miles) with my husband. I could/can run obviously, but not walk and carry stuff at the same time.

Here we are at the start of the race. It was foggy, darn right cold, teeth chattering and bone chilling 7a.m. at the start of the race. John had injured his knee and was hoping to just finish which was fine with me. I wanted to complete the distance and be supportive of him.

We did it!
I had been running and training for races for the past year and a half. I stopped abruptly due to this.

not pretty :(
For 2 weeks I could not put on a regular shoe. I had an x-ray and while nothing was broken (only a sprained foot) I could only hobble around and put very little pressure on my foot. Looking back, I had high expectations that I would be running or at least walking real good in a week. Quickly my hopes faded. My foot did not improve. It throbbed, got more swollen, lovely bruising colors and more painful as the days wore on. I did all the things I should- resting my foot on a pillow, ice (heat after a few days), ibuprofen, more rest, little movement...
This is the racing/running season. I had google alerts, blogs, magazines, feeds from many places filling my waking hours~ all related to running. Here I was unable to run. I was in mental and physical distress. I would like to think that I was a reasonable human being but I know that sometimes I was not. I was sad, frustrated and ugly. I was envious, jealous and mean. I did not always show how I was feeling inside. I wanted to run and I knew that my foot had to heal first so I tried to be patient. For the most part, I did okay. I had a few times that I walked too long or far and paid for it later.
The good news is that this morning I woke up and ran 2 miles. It was not particularly pretty or fast. In fact I was slow and steady and I am just fine with that. I will do it again tomorrow. I am not 100%. My foot tells me that. It did not throb or swell from the run so that is my sign that I am back. Truthfully, I'm not better than before, but I am back to doing something that I love. I will try to be patient and build back slowly. It is a journey that I travel~slow or fast, I start anew :)

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CAROLCRC 6/11/2013 8:09AM

    Injury recovery is SOOOOO Frustrating! Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CATIATM 6/10/2013 11:20AM

    You are awesome! Glad you're back! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
COOP9002 6/10/2013 10:47AM

    Glad to hear you've made it back. Sounds like you're ready to get back at it. Blessings to you on your journey.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOPAPGH 6/10/2013 10:06AM

    Glad you are back! Slow and steady is the right philosophy!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Weakness, it is not always what you think

Sunday, April 07, 2013

So normally I am a pretty tough gal. I am much easier on others than I am on myself. It is strange how I see an injury in myself as a weakness of my body and character. While thinking about this, I realize that this is completely ridiculous but nevertheless, it is true. I am a healthy person for the most part. For the most part, I think the human body is an amazing thing. I have not always thought so. I have had numerous surgeries~ all in the pelvic area. I was rather disappointed that my twins were going to have to be delivered cesarean section due to one of the boys being much smaller than the other and that the placenta was not giving him the nutrients that he needed to grow. He had to be born without delay.
Which leads me to today...I am a runner. I have signed up for a half marathon in a month and have been training for it. If I commit to something, I do it. With much ambivalence but thinking that it was wise in the long term, I decided to take a few weeks off of running at my husband's suggestion. He thought that my hip was injured and that resting it would be good. I did not get better, in fact, my pain got more frequent and severe. It did not seem like an injury because I could not think of a workout that had felt bad. And so with some trepidation I broke down and called for an appointment to get my hip/leg looked at. My quality of life was being affected by this shooting pain that went from my hip, down my leg and into my foot making walking, steps, lying down, standing up or sitting painful. I had a thorough exam by the doctor and he ordered some lower back and hip x-rays. I found out that I have mild degeneration of two of the discs. My hip is fine. The doctor thought physical therapy and NSAID's would be the first order of business. I honestly am relieved and am feeling so much better. The pain has almost gone away. I am doing stretches that are really going to make my core stronger. He said I did not have to stop running. Yesterday, I ran 10 miles and it felt great!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

AEROBISAURUS 4/7/2013 9:30AM

    That's great! Glad you've had the situation addressed. You are strong! Happy running to you! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

I need to listen better...

Saturday, March 23, 2013

I have a sore hip~ I have diagnosed myself with a hip flexor strain. I am taking some time off of exercising and running and doing RICE. If I let my hip heal and then strengthen it with exercises and come back slowly, I should be as good as before and pain free.
This is a reminder that I am not invincible and that I can be too stubborn and push myself harder than what I should. These are not the first time that these lessons are knocking me down. It is hard to have sympathy for someone who does not listen very well. I am serious when I say that I am going to try harder to not be quite as pigheaded and listen to how my body is feeling so that I can get back to running without pain sooner rather than later. I have a half marathon in 6 weeks and I want to be ready :)

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CATIATM 3/30/2013 9:13PM

    Ooh! I hope you're feeling tiptop soon!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Marathon race report part 2

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sunday morning I awoke with temperatures outside in the mid 40's but rising quickly as the sun came up. Knowing what to wear so that you are comfortable for the race is a challenge for me. I decided on shorts, a sleeveless running top and a long sleeve dri-fit shirt that the sleeves could be pushed up. I have worn these clothes on many runs before so there would not be any wardrobe problems.

I first headed down the elevator and enjoyed a protein bagel with chive cream cheese from Einstein bagels. It is located in the hotel and many other runners were doing the same thing. I enjoyed the bagel and drank a glass of coconut water. I have recently had digestive issues on long runs and I am still figuring out the whole fueling and hydrating thing. I head back to the room and finish getting ready. I have decided to use my new Garmin watch to see my time. I have not used it before since I have run indoors on a treadmill since being given this gift. I have usually used my smart phone and an app called endomondo to track my runs. I also think that this is a Rock 'n Roll marathon with lots of bands playing and we are in Phoenix the 5th largest city in the United States so of course there is going to be tons of fan support...so I decide to not bring my headphones and run with my phone in my armband so that I can meet up with DH and DS at the end. I had raisins and sports beans to fuel me and a plan on hydrating at the water/Gatorade stops.

at the race start

It was a 2 minute walk to the start area. It was cool and the sun had not yet come over the mountains. The air was alive with music and announcements and the excitement of the runners set to give it their best. The start of the race is always crowded with the actual runners and the people that are supporting them. There was an announcement over the loud speaker that there were just over 5000 entrants in the full marathon. This was a bit perplexing to me since they had advertised that there were more than 25,000 people participating in it. I imagine that the numbers were based on the half and mini marathons and perhaps the other smaller races that were a part of the weekend. There were 7 corrals and based on your expected finish time you were assigned where to go. I was in corral 6. The race started and within 4-5 minutes we were running through the starting arch and over the timer to begin the marathon.

I knew very quickly that not having my headphones and the distraction of my playlist was not the best decision of the morning. The bands were maybe 3-4 miles a part from each other. You heard them for a minute or so and then you were past the music. There were a few places where I would say you had crowd support but they were few and far between the miles. The water stations were spaced every 2 miles so you did have a chance to hydrate which thankfully I took advantage of.

The first few miles always go by in a blur. You are people watching and getting into the running zone. I had lined up by the 4:40 pacer and was not going out fast or slow. I felt strong and the running was easy. Around mile 6 the sun started beating down and there was no shade to run in. I did not have a hat or sunglasses so this might be the second poor decision of the day. At mile 10 I was feeling good but looking forward to an energy boost from seeing DH, DS and my dad at mile 11. I passed by and did not see them. With little crowd support, seeing your family or friends can be a real boost and you garner strength to keep going. My dad was cheering and shaking bells for all the racers a little after mile 11. It was great to see him!

There is a 3 mile out and back loop that the course followed and my DH and DS were waiting and saw me twice - mile 13 and 19. At mile 13, I was still feeling good but at the 19 mile mark, I told them I could finish with just over 7 miles to run but I was slowing down. They ran a short way with me and next found me at the finish line.

I did a few things right and a few things wrong for this race. I learned some things about myself and will continue to get smarter training and actually running a marathon. I know I am a person that thrives on crowd support and distractions. I will run with headphones even if I don't use them. I fueled ok but perhaps could have been better rested so that the last 13 miles I would be less tired. I don't regret staying up late and having a great conversation with DS. I am going to purchase prescription sunglasses or glasses that have the photogray lenses so that I don't have to squint in the bright sun. I am not a hat person. My clothing selection was perfect for me. I did not get any blisters and my smartwool socks worked well. I listened to my body and heeded the soreness and pain signals from my hamstrings. My training in the week prior to the marathon was modified. I walked my mileage on the treadmill the two days before. It was a very smart decision. I did not have any troubles during the race with hamstrings, cramping or digestive issues. Running indoors on a treadmill to train for a marathon in winter is maybe not the greatest choice that I could have made but I did it. I have finished my second marathon and I am proud of that. My time was respectable- just under 5 hours, and I am satisfied.

New races await me. I am excited to have my DH begin training with me for a half marathon that we are going to do together in May.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MBSHAZZER 1/28/2013 11:40AM

    Congratulatons!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your family and a great marathon experience. I am still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.... it's a process!

Hope your recovery is going well!

Report Inappropriate Comment
AILULI 1/25/2013 11:19AM

    Congratulations Heidi! You did great and best part, you can make the next one even better!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MRSBRAUCHT 1/23/2013 6:42PM


Report Inappropriate Comment
FITFOODIE806 1/23/2013 6:31PM

    Congrats! Such a fun blog to read.

Report Inappropriate Comment
AEROBISAURUS 1/23/2013 5:32PM

    emoticon Congrats on your second marathon! emoticon You rocked it! emoticon I've heard about those wool socks in the past but had forgotten all about them until now. I remember my feet started feeling the rub around the last 6 or so miles. Cool about the Rock 'n Roll Series, I'm running the one in St. Louis in October!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ONMYMEDS 1/23/2013 5:26PM

    Very nice report, and congratulations on your fine performance.

Every race is a unique experience, but we can usually learn something new from each one that can be applied to the next.

Well done!!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Premarathon race report

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

We had a great weekend! There really was only one glitch in the whole thing and that was the plane delay on the way out of Chicago. We ended up on a different plane and arrived 4 hours after our scheduled time.

Prior to leaving, I had made a craigslist connection with a stranger that was trustworthy and willing to hold 4 tickets to see Garrison Keillor ~ Prairie Home Companion at the Gammage in Tempe for us. Tickets had been sold out since early December and I was needing 4 seats together. The gentleman was going to be waiting at the airport for us. He had our flight information and saw we were delayed. He met us just outside security and we bought tickets from him for the show!!!

The rental car shuttle was waiting, the actual car was great and we arrived at the hotel and checked in with no problems at all! DH and I were hungry so we went across the street to a restaurant, sat on the patio, listened to a live musical performance and shared a chicken almond salad and an appetizer plate. We went back to the airport a few hours later and picked up one of our sons that was coming in to share the weekend with us.

We had been awake since 4:30 a.m. and travel is tiring but I was really happy to stay up till the wee hours (2:20 a.m.) of the night/morning talking with our son. I am an early to rise, early to bed person but there is nothing better than a great conversation with your kids.

Saturday morning dawned and my husband and I walked 7 blocks to Matt's Big Breakfast in downtown Phoenix. It is a little hole in the wall place that I found online that had excellent reviews. People were waiting outside (50 degrees) for a spot. An hour or so later, we were eating at the counter. I had the best waffle, bacon and hash browns and my husband had eggs, toast, home fries and tomatoes. Luscious, simple, real food made with local ingredients...

After walking back to the hotel we picked up our son (he sleeps later and does not do breakfast) and headed across the street to the expo. It was only the second expo for a marathon that I have attended. It was very nice! They had a ton of free samples, lots of giveaways, easy check in and pick up of packet instructions and very helpful volunteers. We walked all the aisles and I think my husband and son enjoyed themselves too.

We walked to a restaurant nearby the expo called 1130. We sat outside once again. With temperatures back at home in the negatives or single digits, we were going to be enjoying the warmth as much as we could. My husband and I shared a salad because I was still so full from breakfast.

We drove to Scottsdale and picked up my dad and headed over to Tempe for the concert. It was fabulous!! I am so happy that we had the chance to do this. DH has been a fan and a faithful listener for over 25 years. He introduced me to folk music, Public Radio and many of the shows that I find enjoyment listening on the radio to. We had unbelievable seats~ center, first row of the balcony...Here is a link to the live radio broadcast prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs

We headed back to Scottsdale, picked up my step mom and went out once again for a magnificent meal. We ate dinner at La Fonda Del Sol in Scottsdale. The Mexican food and my frozen mango, strawberry margarita were delicious! We went back to the hotel and I showered and got my stuff together for the race in the morning. I was not sure my breakfast/fueling plan for the next day.

To be continued...

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

AEROBISAURUS 1/23/2013 8:59AM

    A cliff hanger!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MRSBRAUCHT 1/22/2013 8:31PM

    Cant wait to read part 2!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Last Page