Wednesday, March 02, 2011
I told RAVENSONG37 I would give her this recipe and then I thought why not share it so everyone could have it. It is Vegan except for the honey so you can replace that however you wish or leave it out entirely.
Quinoa & Carrots
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c quinoa, rinsed
2 c grated carrots (~3 large)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 (8 oz) packages tempeh, crumbled into bite size pieces
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
2 scallions, sliced
1. For quinoa boil 1 1/2 cup water in a small pan. Add quinoa and return to boil. Reduce to low simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 10-14 minutes. Uncover and let stand.
2. Combine carrots, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp soy sauce in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes.
4. Combine honey, 3 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp water and cornstarch in a bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and coats the tempeh, about a minute.
5. Divide quinoa into 4 bowls, tops with 1/2 cup carrot mixture, and 3/4 cup tempeh mixture. Sprinkle with scallions.
536 calories, 27 g fat, 5 sat, 9 mono, 53 g Carbs, 28 g protein, 5 g fiber, 588 mg sodium
I think that you could certainly cut down the amount of oil in this recipe and the sesame seeds and reduce the fat and calories a lot. I hope someone likes it!