Sunday, June 19, 2011
It's still funny for me that I had been a tourist in Budapest from Thursday to Sunday, and now I arrived home to Gleisdorf. It used to be the other way around. :-)
In the morning, I made a big walk in Budapest with my friends. This is the statue of Liberty on Gellert-hill.
Back home, I was so tired, but more mentally, I felt a great resistance to make any workout. But then I just put on all my running gear, and got down to the streets. It was good, I just run a short distance, 5K. This is crazy that I write this "a short distance, 5K". I made so much progress since end of April, when I started to run.
My Zephyr heart rate monitor just arrived. It connects via Bluetooth to my phone, and I can follow up during exercise, and then check the graphs in endomondo.com.
Before running, my HR was ~90 bpm, and when running, 150-160 bpm. I still have to look up some background info on what is healthy and recommended.
Saturday, June 18, 2011
(Sat 18 Jun 2011)
One of the key learning about myself on the training of the last three days is that I'm persistent.
Maybe this is why running works for me?
Or healthy lifestyle in general.
I see myself only doing small things, just a small step each time. Time to time I add a new healthy habit to the repertoire.
And it seems to work.
This is a tree I was sitting nearby before my run today. It looks like a persistent tree.
Friday, June 17, 2011
Tonight I practiced the "Best place for exercise - anywhere" habit I learned recently. A friend of mine was about driving me home, but I decided to walk home instead. It was 50 min walk, which was very nice, and was a good fit in my daily dose of 10 min exercise.
In the restaurant tonight, I asked for a fruit entree that was not even on the menu, and I got a surprise very nice salad plate. For the main dish, I asked not to bring half of the side dishes. For drinks, I stayed with water. For the last drink, first I ordered some Jagermeister (short drink), but then I asked them to cancel it and bring some water. My initial need of choosing a short drink was already met, but I realized I don't want to drink it. Some weeks ago this was new to me, I just observed that choosing healthy menu options, and ask for something healthy that is not on the menu goes naturally now. I'm happy this habit is already in my repertoire.
Part of my journey home:
Thursday, June 16, 2011
I ran today with a very good friend, who also run a marathon recently. We ran on the track around the Margit-Island in Budapest (Hungary). We ran without music, as he thinks it's easier to keep his own pace, and not to take the pace from the music. We only ran 5K, but we also ran faster, with 5-5.5 min/km, while I usually only ran at 6 or 7 min/km. So, this was challenging for me.
I got some good advices:
- Running at the same pace is preferred for long distance. If I vary the pace, it is more difficult for the muscles. Unless my goal is to make it harder for my muscles.
- Breathing trough the nose is preferred, as this way the body gets a constant flux of oxygen. The difficulty is, he said, that the body needs to be conditioned to function at a lower flux of air, and after a few minutes the blood changes to be able to take up more oxygen, from the same amount of air in the lungs. If I run at a steady pace, and breath with the same flux, the blood composition adapts easily.
- Over 12km per day, the knee-muscles are under heavy load, and I should pay attention to them. It is better to run 12+ km only every other day, to have the muscles retract. Running downhill is very dangerous.
It looks like when I run with company, I learn something new about running.
After running, we drank a bottle of water here:
Otherwise, I enjoyed the healthy menu at the training, which we requested before. :-)
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
(Wed 15 Jun 2011)
Today, hot day, traveling, lots of snacks. Although, I ate a lot of vegetables and fruits as the snacks, the sum passed over the calorie range. So, even with fruits, it is easy to go off limits.
I shouldn't have eaten that:
- big yogurt in the morning, only half size,
- take the big salad for lunch before the main dish,
- eat that fruity snack bar,
- take an extra yogurt in the evening,
- two plates of strawberries, just one,
- six nectarines, only two.
But somehow I was hungry. I was drinking enough today, 12 cups of water.
For exercise, I made a 2h walk in Szombathely, on the way to Budapest. This city traces back to Roman times 2000 years ago, Savaria. I was living there for 3 years before moving to Gleisdorf.
Get An Email Alert Each Time HAKAPES Posts