Wednesday, July 02, 2014
Here is a great quinoa recipe that I posted for my Natural Remedies For Healthy Living team and decided to share it with all of my sparkfriends. It is delicious and healthy and I hope you will give it a try because it is worth the effort!
"Scallops with Vegetables and Quinoa" from the Eat Clean Diet book by Tosca Reno.
1 lb scallops (3-4 scallops per person, which is a lot because scallops are hugely filling)
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2 cups low sodium vegetable stock (or seafood stock if you can find it)
6 small zucchini
4 similarly sized carrots, trimmed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and de-veined and cut into long strips
3 scallions, trimmed and cut lengthwise into fours
juice and zest of 1 fresh lime, divided
2 Tbsp white sesame seeds
2 tsp roasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp low sodium tamari sauce
METHOD FOR SCALLOPS:
1. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet. Add scallps and pan sear over medium heat, 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
METHOD FOR QUINOA:
1. Rinse quinoa grains well - this removes the bitter coating so its essential to do this before cooking.
2. Place rinsed grains in saucepan. Add 2 cups vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and reduce. Let simmer, covered, until all liquid has been absorbed.
METHOD FOR VEGETABLES:
1. With a vegetable peeler, peel strips of green zucchini skin. Don't use white center part of zucchini, save that for soup or stew later.
2. Peel strips from the carrots until you have reached the core. Don't use the core, save that for your soup or stew later too.
3.Heat remaining olive oil in skillet. Stir-fry red pepper, scallions, zucchini and carrots in batches.
4. Once all veggies have been stir-fried, season with lime juice, sesame seeds, sesame oil, ground ginger and tamari. Serve with scallops hot over quinoa and garnish with zest.
This makes a great meal for company and is guaranteed to impress. Enjoy!
Monday, June 16, 2014
Here is a delicious summer dessert recipe to try when those pears are ripe and ready!
Ten Minute Pears with Orange Ginger Topping
2 fresh pears, any variety will work
6 oz lowfat vanilla yogurt
3 Tbsp undiluted frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp honey
1. whisk orange juice concentrate, ginger and honey into yogurt until the honey is well incorporated and the texture is smooth.
2. cut pear into quarters and core. Dice into 1/4" pieces and divide into 2 dessert dishes.
3. spoon the yogurt sauce over the pears and enjoy!
Saturday, June 07, 2014
Found an awesome recipe in the book "The Herbal Home Companion" by Theresa Loe and wanted to share it with all of you. Its amazing!
4 large ripe tomatoes or 5 medium tomatoes
2 medium green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
2 large cucumbers, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, cut in half
4 Tbsp freshly chopped basil
2 Tbsp freshly chopped chives
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
extra chopped chives for garnish
1. Remove the core on the tomatoes and cut them in half, crosswise. Squeeze out the seeds. You will lose some juice when you do this. Then, coarsely chop the seeded tomatoes.
2. Place the tomatoes in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour the tomato puree into a large bowl.
3. Place the bell pepper and onion in the food processor bowl and process until very smooth. Pour the resulting puree into the bowl with the tomatoes.
4. Place the cucumber, garlic, basil, chives and 1/2 cup of the tomato juice in the food processor bowl and process until very smooth and creamy. Be sure the garlic gets processed too.
5. Pour this mixture into the bowl holding the tomato and bell pepper puree. Add the remaining tomato juice, lemon juice and tabasco sauce. Mix well. If the soup is too thick, add more tomato juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use a light hand as the flavors will blend and intensify during the next step.
6. Let the soup sit in the refrigerator for 5 hours to overnight. Then taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve chilled and garnish with chopped chives.
Makes approximately 2 quarts
Get An Email Alert Each Time GUNNSGIRL91303 Posts