Thursday, December 11, 2008
So, I wanted to compile a list of things I'm learning during this slow, long journey to being a healthier me! :-) I will add things to the list as I learn them and hopefully it will be a great learning experience to look back and see what I wrote.
1. The future comes one day at a time. I have to enjoy life today because honestly I will never wake up at my goal weight. I will wake up each day feeling slightly healthier than the day before. Maybe a few ounces lighter... but for the most part it will be unnoticable. Unless I have some past photo or memory to compare it to. I am sometimes guilty of looking towards the future as if life will be "OH SO DIFFERENT' when I reach my goal... goal weight , goal job, goal whatever. But I am who I am because of the choices I make. Therefore, I need to be who I want to be today if I expect to be that person tomorrow! If I want to dress stylishly, be confident, etc I will need to learn those skills RIGHT NOW. At my current weight. :-) Maybe you all knew this already [as I'm sure you did ;) ] but sometimes I write things down so I make sure I don't forget!
2. It's ok to say no. It's ok to say no to others AND myself. I don't have to fold to every craving. I don't have to fear what will happen if I allow myself to change. I am free to say yes or more importantly NO to every experience in my life. We all have choices and the quicker I become aware and responsible for my choices the quicker I can reach my goal! :-)
3. Maybe the outcome isn't as important as the journey; you may get what you need and not what you want.... I'm just writing this to say that I have worked out consistently since June 08 and haven't really lost any weight. I've lost at most 6 pounds... This is despite my working out alllllll the time. [I keep a calendar so I know I am actually burning calories... not to mention I even ran a marathon since June 08]. I may not have lost weight BUT I have enjoyed being able to sleep better, fit into clothes [not all of my old ones though], knowing that no matter how much I weigh I can still be active and out run MANY people... lol, and ultimately if I stay active I can slowly change my eating habits! So I'm remaining positive that if I keep at it, I WILL REACH MY GOALS! and if not... I'll reap alllllllll the other benefits.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Hi everyone! I just finished my test and I AM HAPPY it's over :-D I did well and I'm happy about it. Med school has taught me a lot that I can use in other aspects in my life...
1. Never, Never, Never give up!
2. Things may not come easy but with time and patience... wait let's be real... lol with time, tears, patience, prayer, perserverance, dedication, \enthusiasm and optimism YOU CAN DO ANYTHING you try!
3. Be creative. There is more than one way to skin a cat... (gross I know). But basically I'm saying do what works for you! If walking works, great! do that! If it's pilates... fine! If reading it 100 times or doing a billion questions helps you learn.. GREAT!
4. you have to Be true to yourself
5. Smile even when you don't want to. You never know who's watching but more importantly... YOU are the only one in control of your happiness.
6. Sometimes you have to fake it til you make it- not in reference to med school lol- BUT acting as if you have the chararcteristics you want, sometimes is enough to learn the skills needed to develop them! a.k.a. you are what you continuously do.
7. don't get discouraged. We can never be sure how things will turn out BUT having a positive attitude helps you handle the situation much better! Not to mention, you could be ONE step away from success... VICTORY is worth it! Nothing is sweeter than knowing you worked hard for something and got it. OR realizing that you did your absolute best and while you may not have gotten what you wanted you opened the door for many other possibilities!
8. YOU are MORe than capable and since I love the Lord, I like to say... there is NOTHING I can not do with God on my side. He never gives me more than I can handle.( Quite obviously, God trusts me a WHOLE lot... lol. )
9. Life goes on... DO NOT spend your entire life consumed with just ONE thing. Tomorrow comes and it is such a waste to be preoccupied with the things that can and will go wrong. Smile, take a deep breath and enjoy all of life's moments. seems cheesy but really you do learn something from every experience, good or bad. :-D
10. Be proactive and plan...If you want to workout in the a.m. but are too sleepy to wake up.. GO TO SLEEP! lol... really. We NEED sleep. and while I don't get as much as I want, I realize that I deserve rest-so do you!- and I am the only one who can protect my body. No sleep= cranky, forgetful, no energy to workout and takes longer to do EVERYTHING, and did I mention CRANKY!? And if you know you get too busy to exercise if you wait to do it a night, find another time to do it and protect that time!
One last thing... My motto this week is "What you do in the dark comes out in the light" I am using this motto to remind me that the little choices I am making to eat right, eat fewer fried foods, relax when I'm under stress, pray, write in my journal, and exercise whenever I can may go unnoticed... BUT if I continue to put in these 'investements' they WILL pay off. Even if that payoff is only in the form of higher self esteem and confidence OR weight loss and balance in my life... it IS WORTH IT! If I neglect myself, no one will notice... for a while. But eventually a negative attitude, grouchiness, exhaustion and a rushed, stress-filled attitude will rear it's ugly head. So... it basically just reminds me that I'm doing this for a reason. And even if the outcome isn't immediate or what I expect my habits eventually show who I am and what I believe so...that's my motto and I like it! :-)
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I just took a big test and I'm sleepy so enjoy your week! I'm FREE!!! YAY!
Monday, November 24, 2008
Don't worry... I DID get some sleep last night. Went to bed at 11 but have really bad cramps so at 4:45 I realized I couldn't take them anymore... I got up and did my morning exercise and then studied/prepared for sch ool :-) I AM DEDICATED!!!! Lol... This is test week so basically I have to squeeze in workouts when I can because my MAIN goal this week is to pass this test and MED school is no joke :-) So... I'll write more later! Gonan take a 30 min nap before school.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
As I sit here, throbbing from the pain I feel more than a sense of relief. I did it! blistered feet, sore muscles, aching joints and all. I just ran my 2nd marathon!!! I didn't train for it but should have. my pain told me that. lol. I'm anxiously awaiting my boyfriend and the ALEVE he's bringing with him... i'l write more when I'm feeling more rested or at least when the meds kick in!!!
One last thing.... I started and finished my SECOND MARATHON!!! GO ME!
Get An Email Alert Each Time GONABFIT Posts