Sunday, May 09, 2010
Some of the you have been here for years, some for months, some are brand new. A little about me... I started on SparkPeople on Jan. 10th. I've lost a little over 20 lbs., my activity level is 75% more than it has been. I made a very conscious decision to start my weight loss journey NOT for New Years. I was going like gangbusters in the beginning. Nothing better than that "full speed ahead" feeling.
I realized last week that I was going through the motions. Just plugging along. Yeah, I'm still eating okay, still moving a bunch, just not "Into it". This is where I would have slowed down in the past. maybe given up, maybe given in.
I had to give myself an intervention. Start from the beginning. Re-motivate. Throw some more kindling on my flame and let my Spark take over.
Did y'all know that SP has a killer web page on motivation?? I've picked up a link or two in the past. Today, I've re-read a bunch. Take a look if you need some help.
Here are some questions I have addressed to re-ignite my Spark:
1. Why am I doing this?
2. How am I going to succeed?
3. What have been my successes?
4. What have been my failures?
5. What do I need to change to keep being successful?
6. What are my goals and do they need to be reevaluated?
And the answers are (drum roll, please!):
1. I want to be healthy, I want to look good, I want to be more active, I want to golf better, I want to look HOT in the outfit I wear to my 25th high school reunion this summer.
2. I am going to eat healthier, I am going to eat more veggies, I am going eat chocolate and cheese. I will NOT deny myself what is thought of as "Bad Foods", nor will I use them as rewards. Log it on the 'good' days and especially on the 'bad' days.
I am going to be more consistent with working out. I'm doing okay at cardio, time to add in some weight lifting and toning. Maybe I'll get that gym membership yet!
3. My successes, actually, I'm doing pretty well. I have lost a little over 20 lbs. I am more active than I have been in years. I am about a size and a half lower that I was on 1/10/10. I can walk further/faster than a month ago. I can do the harder workouts (I love Wii Fit Plus, EA Sports Active and Coach Nicole's 10 minute SP workouts!!).
4. My failures have been few. I have NOT failed, I just lost track of my motivation. Time to look at my Vision Collage again. Time to re-assess my goals and rewards. I had a couple of days where I stopped myself from going over the proverbial edge and diving into a pint of Ben and Jerry's. That, I see as a success, not a failure. Seeing where you went wrong and stopping the downhill slide... That's how you turn potential failure into a success.
5. Look at myself every evening and tell myself 5 things I did right that day. 5 ways I succeeded, not just in SparkPeople, but in life, work, personal and any other successes. I may speak these things to myself or I may write them down.
6. My Goals:
Original Goals and how I'm doing:
- no Soda ~~ Not a problem. I don't even think about this any more. check!
- keep up with water ~~ Not a problem. It has become habit. check!
- cook healthy more ~~ I am cooking more and preparing meals in advance, but manage to forget to bring lunch to work and get bored quickly... still a work in progress
- drop Cholesterol #'s ~~ That reminds me... I need to make a DR appointment in the morning!
- wake up earlier ~~ I can't believe it, but I now work out an hour before I go to work every morning.
- organize @ work and home ~~ Still working this one. I need to ramp up my efforts here.
New goals and how I will succeed:
~ Add Strength and Toning exercises: Use the tapes/DVD's I have and add gym membership next month.
~ Continue healthy drinking, 8+ water and No soda
~ Cook more at home (remember lunches for work!)
~ Watch Cholesterol #'s and other health factors
~ Organize at home and work ~~ check out flylady site and SP team, think about getting personal coach. One hour per day, EVERY day!!
I CAN do this!! You CAN too!!
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
I was reading the Daily Spark today and the article "Body Bliss: Dress for the Body You Have Today" www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=bod
For the past week, I have been going shopping. I REFUSE to pay full retail for a piece of clothing that I am only going to be in for a short while. So, I shop the Clearance racks, sales, re-sale shops. And I keep running into the same problem... I'm in between.
I was a Womens 18 going to a Womens 20 when I started SP. Now, 20+ lb.s later, I'm a 14W to16W, maybe a 16 to 18 Regular, however, it all depends on the store, brand, style, fabric, barometric pressure, winning lottery numbers and wind speed that day.
And if you've ever shopped in these sizes you know that we are just not a priority for most stores. Too big for the small stores, too small for the big stores. Like I stated in the title of this blog... Shopping Hell!
We've all seen the racks... Size 8, 40 items. Size 10, 50 items, Size 12, 80 items, Size 14, 40 items, Size 16, 10 items, Size 18 1 piece. ... And it is more than likely something HIDEOUS that should have never been made to start with. Gigantic bright colored flowers. Muumuu, florescent colored 1980's sweatshirt made to fall off the shoulders. Pants with a "low rise waist" (those probably shouldn't be made in any size over a 6 anyway... muffin tops should only exist on muffins ladies!!)
Arggghhhh! I shopped for 3 hours in the local Outlet Mall (I did walk past Lane Bryant... can't/won't ever shop there again!!). I found one (that's right 1!) pair of pants. As it is, unless they shrink in the hot water and dryer that I will send them through. They are already too large. Looks like I'm going to have to find a tailor for some of my better big girl clothes.
I am proud of the healthy lifestyle that I have adopted. I am proud of the fact that I chose to walk instead of drive when I can. I am sure as Hell proud of the fact that I have lost 20+ lbs. since January 10th. Now, I just want to show off how much my body has improved so that I can LOOK as much better as I FEEL.
Little Black Dress, here I come!!
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
... or tales of clothing that actually fits.
I put on my favourite skirt this morning. It's a cute A-line brown plaid that hits right about mid calf. For the past year, I have been wearing it at about knee length. I had it slid up so that the waist was right under "the girls". Turns out that it fits again. I have the waist of the skirt now sitting on my waist!
The scale may not have moved this week, my clothing has! Looks like it's time to go shopping! However, since I plan to not be at the next size down for long, I will be only shopping clearance, re-sale, Goodwill, Sally's Boutique (That's Salvation Army to those not in the know). I will pay no more than $10 for any piece of "in between" clothing.
It's the small things we have to enjoy, my SparkFriends.
May all your skirts get longer!
Friday, April 09, 2010
I know, we all talk about willpower. I keep thinking of the concept of "Won't Power"
~ eat that brownie
~ sit down in front of TV instead of working out/ walking/ Wii-ing
~ let the bad/mean comments get me down
~ allow the "just this once" disease ruin a weeks worth of hard work
~ have fried food
~ drink soda, diet or regular
~ forget to drink my water
~ stop Sparking
~ ever shop at Layne Bryants again
~ forget about Me and My health
And the biggest Won't of all:
I Won't go back to being the overeating, overweight, less-healthy, ignoring of vegetables, not exercizing, lazy person that I was before joining SparkPeople
Get An Email Alert Each Time GOLFCHICK2-0 Posts