Saturday, May 22, 2010
Since I started with a GIGANTIC piece of posterboard... i filled it. Here are some of the details:
Both sides of the collage are lined with small orange squares. Each square represents a calendar square for a Monday, which is my weigh in day. They are all dated and I will put my current weigh, total lost and weekly progress. (note to self… maybe start with smaller poster board next time! :-)
Beat this date (referring to the orange square with the date of my 25th reunion). ‘ 43’ on the square closest to my birthday.
There is plenty of white space left for golf, Red Sox and any other references.
Here are the words that I selected. Since the board is so big, it's hard to read
Start => / Start something Good / Plan it right with… / investment in your health / Start the New Year with our proven program / Rules for Healthy Eating in 2010
eat healthier, live happier / Go ahead , throw your weight around. / In the Know.
Healthy Heart / Wake Up Energized. / Healthy living. /The path from health leads to happy.
Whip up some fun. / Easy as Pie. / The friendship Factor. / Important Facts.
Burn Baby Burn! / Wii FIT. / Water your body./ More energy. / Game on!
Flawless beyond any stretch of the imagination. / Look on the Bright Side…
The enlightened Cook.
I made up my mind that if opportunity ever did knock again, I would say yes no matter what.
If you can walk, you can work out. / 50 small changes that can make a big difference.
Oh, yes I can! / Commitment. / Elevate. / Nail it. / More than a snack. / On your mind.
Good(enough). / Strong Bones. / Copy that! / Dance your health out.
This year, bring fresh ideas to the table. / Super-fun sweets.
Food 4 thought. / The goods. / More choices.
Our new rules for healthy eating may surprise you. / Not having to give up the things I love.
Get your power back. / Smaller dress size. / Sensational. / Get the look.
Comfort food. / Choose a sensible lunch option. / PARTY.
The cheese is everything. / We hear you… /Good health./ Top secret.
The winner is… Longevity. / Super. / Oops! / Perfect 10. / Healthy dinners.
Where good living meets good eating.
The results speak for themselves.
To be continued…
Zaftig (definition) For I am, and always will be a curvy girl!!) Picture of Mae West and ‘Zaftig’ magazine cover
Center of the page has the cut out from the SparkPeople article… Look familiar?
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
So my beloved Red Sox are not at the top of the heap this year.
40 games into the season, we have a .500 going, 20 wins, 20 losses.
It is frustrating being a fan of a team you love with all your heart, when they are not winning. But, there are more numbers than what you see in the Win/Loss columns:
Some Red Sox stats for 2010 (this is in the WHOLE LEAGUE, not just the AL East!)
* first in the Majors in Runs Scored (210)
* first in the Majors in Hits (378)
* second in the Majors in Home Runs (55)
* second in the Majors in Total Bases (636)
* third in the Majors in Slugging Percentage (.454 SLG)
* third in the Majors in On Base plus Slugging (.804 OPS).
"So what the heck does this have to do with weight loss??", you may ask.
It's a reminder that when the numbers on the scale (think of it as the win/loss column) don't move, there are other numbers that count. Are you recording your energy level? measuring your cholesterol? checking your waist, hips, thighs, arm, neck size? are you sleeping better? can you run/walk/bike further and faster than you did before? are you eating food that is more healthy, even if it might not be lower in fat and calories?
While the Red Sox are not showing their ability in the Win/Loss columns yet, we have HOPE! When your scale is not showing what you want to see at this moment, have HOPE!! Keep plugging along. This is not a short term fix. It took years to get where you are. It's going to take time to get to where you want to go, just like it's going to take time for my Sox to get the numbers to work for them!!
*** I probably should note that there is one major difference. In MLB, there can be only one Champion. In SparkPeople, we can all be Champions!! Our only true opponent is our self.
Hope: a feeling that what is wanted will happen (Webster's New World Dictionary)
Keep on Sparking!!
Sunday, May 09, 2010
Some of the you have been here for years, some for months, some are brand new. A little about me... I started on SparkPeople on Jan. 10th. I've lost a little over 20 lbs., my activity level is 75% more than it has been. I made a very conscious decision to start my weight loss journey NOT for New Years. I was going like gangbusters in the beginning. Nothing better than that "full speed ahead" feeling.
I realized last week that I was going through the motions. Just plugging along. Yeah, I'm still eating okay, still moving a bunch, just not "Into it". This is where I would have slowed down in the past. maybe given up, maybe given in.
I had to give myself an intervention. Start from the beginning. Re-motivate. Throw some more kindling on my flame and let my Spark take over.
Did y'all know that SP has a killer web page on motivation?? I've picked up a link or two in the past. Today, I've re-read a bunch. Take a look if you need some help.
Here are some questions I have addressed to re-ignite my Spark:
1. Why am I doing this?
2. How am I going to succeed?
3. What have been my successes?
4. What have been my failures?
5. What do I need to change to keep being successful?
6. What are my goals and do they need to be reevaluated?
And the answers are (drum roll, please!):
1. I want to be healthy, I want to look good, I want to be more active, I want to golf better, I want to look HOT in the outfit I wear to my 25th high school reunion this summer.
2. I am going to eat healthier, I am going to eat more veggies, I am going eat chocolate and cheese. I will NOT deny myself what is thought of as "Bad Foods", nor will I use them as rewards. Log it on the 'good' days and especially on the 'bad' days.
I am going to be more consistent with working out. I'm doing okay at cardio, time to add in some weight lifting and toning. Maybe I'll get that gym membership yet!
3. My successes, actually, I'm doing pretty well. I have lost a little over 20 lbs. I am more active than I have been in years. I am about a size and a half lower that I was on 1/10/10. I can walk further/faster than a month ago. I can do the harder workouts (I love Wii Fit Plus, EA Sports Active and Coach Nicole's 10 minute SP workouts!!).
4. My failures have been few. I have NOT failed, I just lost track of my motivation. Time to look at my Vision Collage again. Time to re-assess my goals and rewards. I had a couple of days where I stopped myself from going over the proverbial edge and diving into a pint of Ben and Jerry's. That, I see as a success, not a failure. Seeing where you went wrong and stopping the downhill slide... That's how you turn potential failure into a success.
5. Look at myself every evening and tell myself 5 things I did right that day. 5 ways I succeeded, not just in SparkPeople, but in life, work, personal and any other successes. I may speak these things to myself or I may write them down.
6. My Goals:
Original Goals and how I'm doing:
- no Soda ~~ Not a problem. I don't even think about this any more. check!
- keep up with water ~~ Not a problem. It has become habit. check!
- cook healthy more ~~ I am cooking more and preparing meals in advance, but manage to forget to bring lunch to work and get bored quickly... still a work in progress
- drop Cholesterol #'s ~~ That reminds me... I need to make a DR appointment in the morning!
- wake up earlier ~~ I can't believe it, but I now work out an hour before I go to work every morning.
- organize @ work and home ~~ Still working this one. I need to ramp up my efforts here.
New goals and how I will succeed:
~ Add Strength and Toning exercises: Use the tapes/DVD's I have and add gym membership next month.
~ Continue healthy drinking, 8+ water and No soda
~ Cook more at home (remember lunches for work!)
~ Watch Cholesterol #'s and other health factors
~ Organize at home and work ~~ check out flylady site and SP team, think about getting personal coach. One hour per day, EVERY day!!
I CAN do this!! You CAN too!!
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
I was reading the Daily Spark today and the article "Body Bliss: Dress for the Body You Have Today" www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=bod
For the past week, I have been going shopping. I REFUSE to pay full retail for a piece of clothing that I am only going to be in for a short while. So, I shop the Clearance racks, sales, re-sale shops. And I keep running into the same problem... I'm in between.
I was a Womens 18 going to a Womens 20 when I started SP. Now, 20+ lb.s later, I'm a 14W to16W, maybe a 16 to 18 Regular, however, it all depends on the store, brand, style, fabric, barometric pressure, winning lottery numbers and wind speed that day.
And if you've ever shopped in these sizes you know that we are just not a priority for most stores. Too big for the small stores, too small for the big stores. Like I stated in the title of this blog... Shopping Hell!
We've all seen the racks... Size 8, 40 items. Size 10, 50 items, Size 12, 80 items, Size 14, 40 items, Size 16, 10 items, Size 18 1 piece. ... And it is more than likely something HIDEOUS that should have never been made to start with. Gigantic bright colored flowers. Muumuu, florescent colored 1980's sweatshirt made to fall off the shoulders. Pants with a "low rise waist" (those probably shouldn't be made in any size over a 6 anyway... muffin tops should only exist on muffins ladies!!)
Arggghhhh! I shopped for 3 hours in the local Outlet Mall (I did walk past Lane Bryant... can't/won't ever shop there again!!). I found one (that's right 1!) pair of pants. As it is, unless they shrink in the hot water and dryer that I will send them through. They are already too large. Looks like I'm going to have to find a tailor for some of my better big girl clothes.
I am proud of the healthy lifestyle that I have adopted. I am proud of the fact that I chose to walk instead of drive when I can. I am sure as Hell proud of the fact that I have lost 20+ lbs. since January 10th. Now, I just want to show off how much my body has improved so that I can LOOK as much better as I FEEL.
Little Black Dress, here I come!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time GOLFCHICK2-0 Posts