Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Good morning my Sparkpeeps. It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, and I can't get to work because a wheel is about to fall off my car. Small potatoes. I'm taking it in today and getting it fixed, and I'm not going to stress about not going to work. Actually I am going to enjoy my day off, car trouble or not, because as a temp I don't get vacation or sick days or anything, so what the heck. I'm going to have a great day off. BAM!
I've been giving a lot of thought to food lately. People who read my blogs regularly know that I mostly blog about my workouts and don't mention food a lot... I guess you could say I am accentuating the positive- because I am a very good girl when it comes to exercise, and I do it most days, and I give it 100% and I am quite disciplined in this area. I love working out, I love love love love love it and I have pretty much no trouble with it most of the time.
I may be giving the illusion that I don't struggle, that I'm perfect all the time, because I am leaving information out. I do that and I know it. I tell you about my workout and I purposely leave out the part about my 4 desserts or half a pizza. Or most of a pizza. But it happens. Too often.
Oh, I love food. I've always loved food. Food was my best friend when I was a kid. With no siblings, cousins, or neighborhood children to play with, and a mom who was always too "busy" cleaning the house to spend time with me, I learned at a young age that when one is bored, food can be fun. And so it began.
Last year I lost 35 pounds tracking and being mindful of what I put in my mouth, a feat I never accomplished by working out alone. So I know I can control my eating. I did it for... 122,500 calories :) But lately it's just been so hard. So I'd like to talk about the biggest problems I face with food. Maybe you'll recognize some of them.
1. Portions. I can, and love to, eat a LOT of food. This is great for healthy things like veggies. I can build myself a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE salad and eat it for like a half hour. Of course I don't discriminate. I'm an equal opportunity face-stuffer. So I like to eat a TON of veggies but I also like to eat a TON of french fries or cookies (don't even get me started on cookies). The only food that comes to mind that I can't hog out on is ice cream. That's probably a very good thing.
2. Chocolate. I always say I don't have a sweet tooth. I have a chocolate tooth. Sweets are no biggie. Cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, sugary candy, whatevs. I have no interest. Put some chocolate in front of me and look the heck out. If heaven exists I am pretty sure my heaven is made completely of chocolate. I pretty much shouldn't keep it in the house. I kid myself and say I'll buy some Ghirardelli squares and only have one (OH PUH-LEEZ, did you READ number 1?!) I bought some chocolate chips with the intention of making another chocolate pumpkin pie (which is light and healthy and fabulous and I can totally eat one piece and be happy) buuuuuuuuut... someone ate the whole bag of chocolate chips before they could make it into the pie... I dunno who, but it wasn't my boyfriend... and cats can't open bags of chocolate chips... hmmm...
3. Bored eating. Oh, this is a terrible one. This goes back to childhood without question. When I'm bored, my first instinct is to have a snack. This is very bad on the weekends. I suggest a hobby that keeps your hands busy. I make cards and when I'm in the Zone, I don't need snacks.
4. That damn all-or-nothing way of thinking. I could not possibly tell you how many times I have done that thing where you eat a treat and decide you've ruined your whole day and you should just eat whatever you fancy and start over tomorrow. Gawd, pretty sure I did that yesterday, and the day before, and the day before... it's a handy little reasoning tool to allow yourself to pig out. And it's so stupid because I KNOW I'm doing it and I do it anyway!!!!! GAH!!!!!
5. Poor planning. You know how they say when you fail to plan, you plan to fail? SO TRUE. When I make a meal plan over the weekend and do all the shopping for said meals, it totally eliminates the Dinner Dance. You know the Dinner Dance, don't you? "What do you want for dinner?" "I dunno, what do you want for dinner?" "I dunno, what do you want for dinner?" until someone orders a pizza and you eat half or more. Oh yeah. The only dance that can make you fat. Other than perhaps The Dance With No Pants. I'm getting off-topic.
So, those are my biggest problems with food... if you recognize any of those, let me know... we can work on it together :)
My boyfriend is out of town until Saturday and I have an unexpected day off, I can see no better time to whip myself into shape. I had half a whole wheat bagel with a tablespoon of peanut butter, a banana, and strawberries for breakfast. Yes, I wanted the second half of that bagel and another tablespoon of peanut butter. No, I did not go get it. Victory numero uno for today.
All right everyone, have a great day and I'll talk to you later about some killer workout I did.
Saturday, April 07, 2012
OK, so I'm gonna get right into this! This weekend I decided to do double sessions both days to get back on track after a lousy week (very rare for me!) I am happy to say I did and I feel fabulous. No, I didn't track my food (AHHH! Bad Chrissy!) but tomorrow is another day.
First I ran two miles this morning. I ran two miles last weekend and timed myself. Last weekend I ran it in 24:41 and this morning I hit stop on my GymBoss and eagerly pulled it off my pants to find... 24:41. I bent over and laughed out loud. What are the chances? I guess the bad news is that I didn't get faster, but the good news is a week off didn't slow me down too much!
Then I re-did a Bodyrock workout I last did in January called Ass Busting. Yes, yes it is!!!!!
I had been feeling kinda down lately because I have re-done some workout in the past few weeks and my numbers either went up only a tiny bit or, in some depressing cases, went down. Needless to say, I, um... feel better now
10s/10s alternating jump lunges and mountain climbers: No time to write down reps, but I do remember last time I had to switch to back lunges, and this time I did jump lunges the whole time.
200 jump rope skips: Old times: 1:33 and 1:28.
New times: 1:20 and 1:21
Sumo Squats with leg lift- last time with 12 pounds: 11-10-9-9-9-9
Sumo Squats with leg lift- this time with 15 pounds: 18-17-18-16-14-11
Pushup- last time on toes, from bench: 7-4-5-5-4-5
Pushup- this time on toes, from ground: 12-10-9-10-7-10
Then my boyfriend wanted to go for a walk so we went to the trail and walked for an hour. I don't really consider walking a workout (for me), but what the heck. It was still an awesome day.
I also made a pretty fabulous Split Pea Soup.
I absolutely hate peas. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE peas. But my boyfriend loves split pea soup and normally buys canned. *hurk* I found a clean split pea soup recipe on the Gracious Pantry and here is the link right here.
Now I put bacon in his so it's not technically clean. If you want to add bacon, chop it up and put it in the pot, then when it starts to release some grease, add the chopped onion and cook that baby for about 30 minutes. That's where you get all the flavor. Anyway even with a few strips of bacon I expect it's pretty darn healthy. Before we went for the walk, the peas were still just kind of floating in it. When we got back they had all mushed up and thickened the soup. Matt doesn't usually get excited for food but he dug in immediately and I believe he is on his 2nd bowl now. I tasted it- and I find it almost edible. So it must be a pretty amazing split pea soup.
Old Navy had cute little lounge shorts for $5 today. I bought a pink pair and a blue pair. Before Bodyrock tightened my saggy baggy legs, you couldn't pay me to wear shorts- even pajama shorts, around the house.
I'm more confident now.
And everyone got my egg cards! Here is one. I made them last weekend. Happy Spring, everyone!!!!!!
Oh, I just realized you can see the Sex Doughnut hanging in the background of my booty picture. It was just a gag gift for my boyfriend... I don't handcuff him with a stuffed doughnut on the regular. In case anybody was concerned.
Friday, April 06, 2012
OK, I confess. I've been a little absent lately. I "lost my Spark" a little, as they say. It happens to everyone from time to time, I am sure, to the best of us. I haven't been tracking my food very well (no shocker), I've been eating too much (no shocker) and I've only worked out ONCE this week (HUGE SHOCKER)
I can't pinpoint exactly what's wrong... actually that's probably because nothing is wrong... I just feel kinda blah and uninspired, you know? But that's an icky feeling and I want to stop it. I want to take this weekend and use it to get myself back on track. I want to eat perfectly for 3 days. I can do that. I want to take an idea from my friend HEALTHYASHLEY and do double sessions on Saturday and Sunday. Two workouts a day for two days. Easy.
OK, so that's what's up. Doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time GIANTMICROBE Posts