GALSAL59   15,768
15,000-19,999 SparkPoints
GALSAL59's Recent Blog Entries


Sunday, December 25, 2011

I'm not writing this to be depressing. Instead, I'm blessed on this special day. Things could be far worse for the new medical crisis. My first thought was, "oh great, what a fabulous Christmas and Birthday present to receive". Now I've thought more and realized I am indeed blessed to have found it and that it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

It's official. The Tampa VA Hospital tells me I do have Invasive Mammary Breast Cancer. It is still quite small (appears to be less than 1cm) although that's about all we know at this time. Other tests from the biopsy are still pending and more are to come. I had my own private Nurse with me at the appointment - James. Nothing has been staged yet, nor a specific treatment plan determined until these additional tests are done and completed. As of now, they don't think I'll need a mastectomy although they won't commit to that yet. The extra tests are to determine if the lymph nodes are involved and if anything is even hinting at beginning in the other breast, because this is an invasive kind. The thought right now is to have a lumpectomy and radiation and then take Tamoxifen for the next five years. So long as none of the other spots don't show to be a problem. The MRI will tell about that or if more biopsies are needed. I'm told it's been there for five to eight years before getting to a size that could be found.

This may well account for the months of low-grade fever multiple times daily. This will NOT kill me, unless I do nothing. My sisters are now at a far greater risk to get breast cancer too, with their Sister and Mother both having had it.

Met with the Team at the Breast Clinic, including the Surgeon. We spent almost two hours in the appointment. Since I was the last one of the day, they were able to spend extra time with us. Guess what! This VA hospital is the only one in the US with a Breast Clinic like this. There's only one test they cannot do on-site and will send me out to have it done. Very state-of-the-art equipment. They believe that they are on the same par as the Moffitt Cancer Center here in Tampa. Any one who lives here would know about that place. That's were I would likely go for a second opinion.

I'm really okay. The weight of knowing yes or no has been lifted. I'll be busy for the next few months. Hmmm...I might just decide to go to Panama City Beach again for Spring Break as a vacation after all the treatment! LOL I went last year with my Cousin to help chaperone five high school senior girls. OMG, what were we thinking! At least they're in college now. Told her Daughter I'd consider it if her Mom goes. hahaha The kid wants us there to be chief cook and bottle washer. We had fun though. This time I'll be sure to wear some gauze slacks on the beach. Found out last year that I no longer can be out in the sun without covering up for more than 30 minutes. Otherwise I get a sun rash. Sucks to have been born with red hair!


  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

GALSAL59 12/25/2011 10:06PM

    Thank you both for the kind words. Ironically, I seem to have the same type as my Mother did. Neither ductal nor lobular but a combination of both. Luckily for her, they found it early enough that lumpectomy, radiation and tamoxifen was the treatment.

Report Inappropriate Comment
PAWSINAZ 12/25/2011 1:20PM

    My heart goes out to you.

Yes your sisters are at risk, my dear friend was being treated for breast cancser, her dr recommended that all her family members (including the male children) be gene tested for the type of brest cancer she had. It turned out her sister, had breast cancer also.

Faith will over come. Drop me an email and I will hook you up with my friend. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
1CRAZYDOG 12/25/2011 11:20AM

    HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS!!!!!! I am sorry to hear your news, but there is HOPE. Mom was diagnosed with ductal insitu carcinoma (non-invasive) requiring a lumpectomy and radiation. No meds as it was not in the lymph nodes. Scarey to be absolutely sure.

My prayers are with you. Yes, it is definitely something that does put your sisters @ risk. I am in that spot, also. Both my Mom's sisters had the exact same kind of cancer, so I am RELIGIOUS about breaast health.

Wishing you His loving peace to envelop you as you go through this trying journey.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Still a problem

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Glipizide ER 5mg definitely causes NO hypo whatsoever, even if taken with other medications.

The Glipizide XL 5mg or even halved for 2.5mg makes me Hypo by dropping me below 70. Tested the 2.5mg with not one single other medication, not even Aspirin. Still drops Hypo. Even with eating the exact same menu as when taking the ER version.

So even though ER is Extended Release and XL is also Extended Release, there is something inherently different about the two. Have a call in to the Dr at the VA again to have them determine what to do about this. I don't know if the actual ER version is available in their formulary or not.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

1CRAZYDOG 8/21/2011 3:58PM

    Hmmmm . . . . hope you get an answer on that soon! Sometimes just a change in what the fillers in a med are can make a difference. Just a thought!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Still confusing

Monday, August 15, 2011

Well, halving the Glipizide as I was directed to by the VA didn't solve the problem. Still dropped to 63 at about 2-1/2 hours after breakfast. Two whole eggs, One slice Ezekiel Bread, Two slices Bacon, Water, Coffee with Splenda and Creamer is what I have almost every single day.

So I began experimenting. None of my conditions are so extreme or advanced that not having a medication for a day or few will put me out of commission. The only constant factors so far is Wellbutrin and Glipizide.

Saturday I took only the Wellbutrin and the Glipizide at hte 5mg dose. Not too terrible. At about 2-1/2 to 3 hours after breakfast I was at 72. So I ate, of course. This Glipizide is from the VA and the manufacturer is Sandoz Pharmaceuticals.

Sunday I took the Wellbutrin, same Glipizide and added the Blood Pressure/Water Pill received from the VA. At about 2-1/2 to 3 hours after breakfast I was at 69. So I ate, of course.

Today I took the Wellbutrin, same Glipizide and added the NSAID given by the VA, Piroxicam. At about 2-1/2 to 3 hours after breakfast, I was at 70.

I don't get any thing this low when I take the 5mg Glipizide I obtain from the drugstore, which was coupled with Wellbutrin for over two months now. The manufacturer is Watson Laboratories of the Glipizide from the VA. So I'm starting to wonder if perhaps my body doesn't like the Glipizide from the VA.

The saga continues....


Power Ball winnings

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Forgot to share the news! At work, our department pools funds for Lottery tickets. We matched 4 of 5 numbers and the Power Ball from Saturday's drawing. Yup, 10k for the six of us!!! Okay, $7,500 after taxes.

Still, money we didn't have previously! Thanks for the blessings Lord!!!!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

PAWSINAZ 8/15/2011 12:47PM


Report Inappropriate Comment
GALSAL59 8/10/2011 9:32PM

    Like, just HOW could I have not thought about sharing the news is beyond me! Yes, I've never known any winner myself. :)

Report Inappropriate Comment
DIANE7786 8/10/2011 7:28PM

    emoticon It's good to know someone wins. Enjoy!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SAFIYAH9 8/10/2011 2:00PM


Report Inappropriate Comment
1CRAZYDOG 8/10/2011 1:40PM

    Wow! Good for you!!!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Blood Sugar Oddities

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

This is pretty strange. For the past 4-5 days, my blood sugar has dropped dramatically between 10:30a to 11:00a. We're talking down to a range of 53 to 63.

Now, I'm not eating any thing differently than I was before.

Friday afternoon, I saw my Dr at the VA hospital. She wrote the appropriate Rx to fill several of my prescriptions through the VA so I don't have to go through a drugstore. At first I thought the drop was because I hadn't had enough Carbs at the AM snack. That wasn't it. Then I wondered if it wasn't the NSAID she added to the mix, so didn't take it today. That wasn't it. Doesn't seem to be so. Then I'm wondering if it isn't about the meds themselves.

When I get home, I'll be comparing images of them for the dosage and manufacturer online. See, I'm wondering if the Glipizide is the wrong mg although the label says it's the correct mg.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

GALSAL59 8/10/2011 9:24PM

    The problem has been discovered. When I told the VA doc what meds I was on, I didn't realize there's more than one version of Glipizide. Apparently I was on the ER or XL type and the VA prescribed the Regular type. So all of the med is dumping into me all at once instead of slowly being released.

I'll call the VA Pharmacy tomorrow to see if I can split the tablets since they are scored to break it up into smaller doses for twice daily, breakfast and lunch since those are my largest meals.

Report Inappropriate Comment
GALSAL59 8/10/2011 2:06PM

    Don't know yet. Meds are at home and I'm at work. Will be doing so, for SURE!

Report Inappropriate Comment
1CRAZYDOG 8/10/2011 1:41PM

    What did the picture look like? Check out (I think they have actual pics of the meds and doses).

I would sure be checking it out!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Last Page