Friday, December 07, 2012
Well, I almost waited too late, but need to be accountable for myself, so here goes!
1. Fitness minutes - 1000 for November - DID NOT MEET. BUT, I did get 500 minutes! And I began seeing my Chiropractor for some Graston treatments for my Plantar's Fascitis....so hopefully it is on the mend. I've never had such a lingering and painful episode of this malady!
For December: Once I can walk again, (ha, I still walk like Frankenstein, but once I get warmed up it's a little more graceful!) then I'm going to begin stepping up my training for the Berry 10 K in March. Will continue to use cross training to build up my stamina. And I hope to incorporate "eccentric" exercise (see the Smarter Science of Slim" website for more info.)
2. Food and Nutrition: I will stick to SANE foods 6 days per week. MET!!!! I have had a total of 3 blow-it days since 10/23/12. I'm down 10 lbs, and feel so much better.
FOR December: Continue to eat SANEly MOST of the time. SANE food is described in "The Smarter Science of Slim". The free podcasts on iTunes are awesome, and reflect and expand on the material in the book. I highly recommend that you try the podcasts first, access the free website, and then if you like it, you can get the book on Amazon.
3. Work: Limiit myself to 40 - 45 hours per week in October. MET!
For December: Keep working 40 - 45 hours per week.
4. Attitude: Be Positive, inspire others, be kind, supportive, focused, the best Friend, Mom, Grandma and Girlfriend (ha, at my age?!) that I can! I think i was awesome in this endeavor, so I'm going to say YESSSSS!!!!
For December.....I have officially dropped this goal, but will continue to incorporate positivity into my life at every opportunity!
5. Taking care of my dry skin. Progress is being made, but I'm still trying to get my hands back to a good place. With all the washing and chopping veggies, making wreaths and other prickly kinds of decorating stuff, I'm still sort of beat up, but I do see progress. The coconut oil hs been awesome for arms & legs. The improved diet has been as responsible for improving my dehydrated skin as the external care!
For December: I will continue to monitor this closely.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. Thanks for being so supportive of my efforts and random ramblings. You are amazing friends and I count on you daily for inspiration. How blessed is that?
Friday, November 02, 2012
Well, while October was overall a good month for me, I had some definite ups and downs. I gained about 5 lbs and also lost the same 5, so I guess that is better than gaining and NOT losing, but definitely I wouldn't say that there was any progress in the weight department. As for my other goals:
1. Fitness minutes - 1000 for October. - DID NOT MEET. I only logged in about 300 minutes total for October. Part of this was due to my plantar's fascitis and trying to get rid of the soreness through stretching and icing.
FOR NOVEMBER: Will utilize deep water aerobics to help rehab the PF, then will add moderate amounts of running to my walking and hiking. Goal is 1000 total minutes of exercise for November.
2. Food and Nutrition: I will stick to SANE foods 6 days per week. MET! I have eliminated starchy carbs after the myriad insane birthday celebrations in October.
FOR NOVEMBER: I will continue to focus on non-starchy carbs (veggies), high quality proteins, fruits, nuts, and plenty of water and green tea almost every day during the month. Cravings for sweets seem to have finally subsided, so I might allow myself a treat on Thanksgiving, but will be careful to not let myself overdo it.
3. Work: Limiit myself to 40 - 45 hours per week in October. Work smarter. Didn't really do quite as well as I had expected due to much travel and a Quality Assurance review for all 10 of my counties! Was in the chair and in the car more than I wanted, but this review is now officially OVER - WOO HOO!!
FOR NOVEMBER: Will be working on Quality Improvement in some areas identified in the QA review, but will integrate this into normal work activities for another 40 - 45 hour per week goal.
4. Attitude: Be Positive, inspire others, be kind, supportive, focused, the best Friend, Mom, Grandma and Girlfriend (ha, at my age?!) that I can! HMMMMM....like I said earlier, I'm not really sure how to measure this, but I believe that I have been more positive, more sensitive to the journeys and trials of others, and haven't ticked anybody off enough so that they would tell me about it, so that's probably a good indication that I maybe MET this goal!?!?!?
For NOVEMBER: Continue to focus on this! BE A GREAT SPARK FRIEND by encouraging my spark friends and others and by learning from my Spark Friends!
5) New one for November: Take care of my dry skin! I have begun using coconut oil and am encouraged by the results on my arms and legs...but, my hands are so important (as we all know!) and are vital to my lifestyle and livelihood! WHY do I let this happen to them? They are so dry, chapped, cracked and look and feel awful. They are worse recently, and I'm sure that is because they're in water so much. So, I'm going to try to remember to use rubber gloves as often as possible and keep the lotion flowing! By putting this in writing, I believe I have a better shot at actually achieving success than if I just think about it in a nebulous "really need to take care of my hands" passing thought!
Hope everyone has an AWESOME November and I'm hoping my friends in the Northeast are back to normal really soon!
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Today my b/f and I went on a 5.5 mile hike up to the top of Lavendar Mountain here in Rome. The destination was "The House O' Dreams" on the Berry College Campus. If you're not familiar with Martha Berry, she was a fascinating woman who established multiple educational opportunities for young people in the area. She established Berry College, which is the world's largest campus and possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth. The current administration is very welcoming to visitors, and locals are some of the biggest supporters for preserving this wonderful place.
The House O' Dreams was built as a retreat for Ms. Berry by a group of students in 1922. The architecture is beautiful, and the gardens are, too.
While it is really a "walk" vs. a 'hike', since I carried a picnic in my backpack and we climbed a HIGH mountain, then it shall be called a HIKE! Today was a perfect fall day and the view from the top of the mountain was incredible. The sky was so blue and the visibility was great - you could see all the way to Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga TN.
Anyway, after my little fall yesterday I was happy not to lose my footing :). My daughter and her hubby and 2 more of their dogs joined us for after we had been at the top of the mountain for a little while.
All in all, it was a wonderful day to be outside and to enjoy God's creation. What a blessing to be healthy and able to participate in such a rewarding excursion!
I will attempt to add pictures!
Have a great week!!
Saturday, October 20, 2012
My younger daughter, Hayley, her husband, Bobby, (and 2 of their 4-legged friends - Pippi and Kane) and my older daughter's kids/my grandchildren Marley and Grady, and I - went for a 2-3 mile hike at the Pocket. (whew, was that an extremely long sentence or WHAT????)
It was a really educational trip...we saw a great blue heron. a rat snake, bear scat, a scorpion, and lots of pretty leaves.
My faceplant into a beggar-lice bush was the real crowd pleaser, though!
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Okay, I just got a "fatitude" adjustment....nothing like being asked to write a blog to get my pointed in the right direction.
My out of town trip involved a lot of riding/driving, sitting in meetings, sitting with friends at meals, and going back to my room to sit and watch tv. I did NOT exercise on the equipment I had to pass each time I got off the elevator...yes, the elevator and not the stairs.....groan :(
I've taken 2 steps forward and one back so many days that I wonder why I even attempt to go forward. AND I have plenty of excuses to justify WHY I failed. Well, this morning i opened my cabinet and saw the very unflattering photo of myself that I had taped up in there with the Jillian Michaels quote and realized that my bad attitude is leading to bad choices. And the only way I'm going to get past this is if I choose EVERY TIME to do the right thing. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person, so it will have be a conscious, 100% effort.
As Jillian says "Why do you choose failure, when SUCCESS is still an option?
So today I am working on my attitude to CHOOSE the right thing that will lead to SUCCESS - EVERY time.
Get An Email Alert Each Time FUN2BAROUND Posts