FIRENUT34   82,940
80,000-99,999 SparkPoints
FIRENUT34's Recent Blog Entries

For those that wondered what happened!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Sorry if this is long!!
For those that wondered what has happened to me and where did I go, it kind of started after the Miami Marathon in January 2011. After doing the three marathons in 64 days with Miami hitting the wall at mile 21, my knees were bothering me again so I started taking it easy and giving them a break. Then things started changing. We went back to Disneyworld in March I believe it was as we still had passes to the parks. Once again the Mother-in-law went to ďhelp.Ē It turned into the trip from hell. But one thing we noticed was a change in Logan. For those that donít know I have Tyler who will soon turn 5 and 2 year old boy/girl twins names Lilly and Logan that are now 2. Logan wasnít looking at you like he use to. He still wasnít walking but he wasnít quite 14 months yet but was a fast crawler. Lilly was running around. Logan got sick with a stomach bug on Wednesday night, but was doing better on Thursday. We went to Epcot on Friday and then headed home afterwards. We were all worn out, Katie and I mentally from dealing with her mother who was no help, who climbed into her seat ad put her head down. She didnít help with the kids during the drive home and was moaning. Letís just say I wasnít doing the speed limit just to get her mom back home as fast as possible. 20 minutes from the house she grabs a bag and starts vomiting. Great, Katie starts gagging in the front seat from the sound. We get her home and take off for home when Tyler vomits. Long story Long, I ended up being the only one that didnít get sick and spent the night going room to room changing clothes, cribs and beds and whatever needed to be done. But Logan still didnít act right afterwards. He wasnít playing with the others, just by himself. We got real concerned and started really studying and everything kept looking at Autism. The Pediatrician said they donít evaluate for that till at least age 3. We didnít want to wait and went further on our own. In the meantime, once again the mother-in-law strikes again. Poor Logan that has all the problems including eczema is once again the victim. She decides that even though Katie has the twinís lunch made and is bringing it to them, she will give Logan a little bit of Tylerís peanut butter sandwich. They arenít supposed to have peanuts till 2 years of age but I guess she feels 18 months is close enough. Sure enough he starts having an allergic reaction. Katie is trying to call me and Iím on the Interstate cutting a patient from a vehicle with the Jaws of Life. I get back with her and she had already given him an anti-histamine which is working. Thanks God it was only a very small amount of peanut butter as we had him tested and he is highly allergic to peanut butter. Anyway we have Logan tested and they wonít give the diagnosis for Autism but he is on the spectrum. Now itís Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Physical Therapy including horse therapy. Also a Gluten Free, Dairy Free and obviously peanut free diet. He is doing better, but things point to after his MMR shot. But that is a different story. He is doing better. But then my turn. My back started hurting like a slept wrong and got worse over a couple of days. I finally got in to the Chiropractor and he says that he is positive that I have a herniated disk. He works on me for a few weeks or more and not getting much better to I go in for a MRI. Couldnít miss seeing it if you never read an x-ray before. So I go to a neurosurgeon who informs me that he could remove the disk but doesnít think it would help that I had it for a long time and now has started causing problems as it is severe and if it had occurred in the last couple of weeks I should have been paralyzed. Great, I love all this wonderful news. It got worse and the sciatic pain was terrible. It felt like someone had a blowtorch on my left leg and hitting me with a sledgehammer on my ankle when I walked. I went from running 26.2 miles to almost crying to walk the dog 100 yards. The Chiropractor wasnít working well, but my neuromuscular massage was working some. Then a friend of Katie that has back problems told me about doing the Cobra yoga move. Every hour for 10 seconds three times each and you will start to feel better by day 4. Sure enough it started working. So now the back is doing better and Iím literally starting over as due to the depression of not running and everything going on with my son, I was eating horrible. Put 25 pounds back on and now couldnít hardly run a mile straight. But Iím starting over and gradually making my come back. I will hopefully start seeing some of my friends at races again soon.
Sorry this was long, but I did warn you in the beginning. Barry

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MAPLELEAFMOM 9/3/2012 12:39AM

    WOW!!! Talk about alot going on at once. I hope that your back is feeling better by now and that Logan is doing well. Lots of positive thoughts going out to you and your family! Also I am so sorry that I am sooo late in reading this. I was gone from SP for quite awhile and I am slowly catching up with things!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ITSHOWYOULIVE 5/21/2012 5:24PM

    I'm late coming sorry for everything going on. You've really been through a lot. Glad the back is feeling better and so glad I read this...on of my cousins car was hit by a red light runner and she has been suffering back pain and has a herniated disc, now I have something to tell her that might make a difference. Prayers for your family and hope things are settling down a bit and the new regimens are helping.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JAZZID 4/28/2012 9:59PM

    I am so sorry you have had to go through all of that. I am glad that Logan is improving and that you are doing better.

I had sciatica years ago and my physical therapist recommended that I sleep in a fetal position with a pillow between my knees; this takes strain off the back area where the sciatic pain is coming from.

It will get better, don't rush it. Sending healing karma your way... hang in there...

~ Dee emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SLEEPYDEAN 4/24/2012 5:35PM

    Oh man, it sounds like your family has had a rough year +. Logan is lucky to have you guys to continue to fight on to find what is best for him.

And about starting over... I hope you can use some of your memories from training for and running those marathons to give you strength, motivation and hope. You've put in the hard work before - and maybe your running won't ever be the same, but at least you know you are a fighter!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CRZYRUNRGRL 4/24/2012 1:56PM

    I'm so sorry for all you have gone through!!


I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Report Inappropriate Comment
-POLEDANCEGIRL- 4/24/2012 10:56AM

    HUGS!!! Wow, you have so much going on! Hang in there. You are amazing and strong

Report Inappropriate Comment
NINJALINDA 4/24/2012 10:33AM

    Holy Smokes, you have had a LOT to deal with. Hope everything settles down and start to turn around. Good on you for getting back with the program!

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEIDI-25 4/24/2012 10:24AM

    We don't know each other and I found your blog post via the marathoner team. I wish for you and your family good health and lots of love and patience.

Report Inappropriate Comment


I am so sorry to hear about all the troubles Logan is having. He is very lucky to have great parents like you and Katie to look out for him.

Come back slow and steady....If I can do it so can you.

Report Inappropriate Comment
RUNNRGRRL74 4/24/2012 7:03AM

    You are amazing Barry! You will make a hell of a comeback! As for yoga, Eastern medicine more and more is showing we can heal ourselves more than cutting and medicating (in most cases.) Can't wait to see you make your comeback! Big hugs to you, Katie and the kids. Hope to see you guys soon!

Report Inappropriate Comment
8THTIMEUP 4/24/2012 6:45AM

    Wow! I'm tired just reading this. You and your family must be worn out. Prayers for health, healing and peace for all of you.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Very important mistake lesson learned.

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Last shift I ran, or should I say attempted to run. I normally have a lower heart rate. Resting a lot of times is in the upper 40's and to the upper 30's during sleep. Last shift I put my gear on to run and my garmin was reading a heart rate of 111. Hello, I haven't done anything yet so why is it so high or its not reading right. So I took my pulse and sure enough it was right there. That's interesting, maybe I'm a little nervous because I haven't been running much lately. I did have coffee today but usually the caffeine doesn't have that effect on me plus I gained 15 pounds over the last month for eating like an idiot. To heck with it and went running. I did my normal warm up and stretched before starting. Then I started running. It was a nice easy pace from my normal but was feeling tired quick. I looked at the garmin and my heart rate was now approaching 200. I know this can't be right and must be picking up the movement. I barely got a mile and had to walk a little. This is nuts, I can barely run a mile now? So then I ran more till I hit two miles and then walked some. Then ran to 3 and finished at 3.3 miles. The garmin was reading almost a heart rate of almost 250. This couldn't be right. I kept walking to walk it down. Where I normally would be down to under 100 again and I usually drop pretty fast, I was still beating away. So being at work (being a Paramedic has its good points), I put myself on the heart monitor and sure enough I was at 162. I wasn't feeling bad so I just went inside and relaxed and drink some water. After an hour I was still at 120. So I took my shower and went to bed. In the morning it was still in the 90's. I was so mad till I got home and started thinking.

I have been under a lot of stress along with Katie's Father and Step-mother coming over from Nevada. I haven't been sleeping much as the kids have been intermittent with their sleep and someone wakes up a couple of times during the night and I will always spring out of bed and go. So I have been drinking more coffee lately, but haven't been drinking anything else during the day. We are talking 7 to 8 cups of Ice coffee per day. I also took Sudafed for my sinuses. I was freaking dehydrated. So the last two days I left the coffee alone, no Sudafed and lots of water. My heart rate is back to normal and I went running today with only drinking 3 cups of coffee this morning but also lots of water. My average heart rate was 149 with a max of 165 during my sprint at the end. I did 3.3 miles and ran it all. Still need to gradually increase, but carefully with the Florida heat and humidity. Very important lesson learned.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

IMARUNR 6/16/2011 4:27PM

    I'm glad to see you're paying attention! Definitely take care of yourself, and HYDRATION is so important...especially with the humidity!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CRZYRUNRGRL 6/14/2011 9:15PM

    Wow Barry! Be careful! You have to take care of you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MAPLELEAFMOM 6/6/2011 2:41AM

    aacckk that is scary emoticon and I'm so glad you figured it out! It sounds like you have ALOT going on now so don't be too hard on yourself. Getting back to running will definitely help with the stress relief!!

I remember those days of little kids and little sleep soo well. Soon enough they'll all be sleeping soundly emoticon and then before you know it they are teens you'll have trouble waking them up LOL!

Take care of yourself...

Report Inappropriate Comment
ESBELL 6/5/2011 11:22PM

    WATER WATER WATER!!! Can't say it enough, and with your heat, can't drink it enough!

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Barry - you are being way to hard on yourself - take running slow and you definitely need to hydrate Florida heat has started extra early. Don't push the pace - do the distance, the time doesn't matter either - your body will remember what you want it to do and how to do it. I am here for you if I can help.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MCCOURTT 6/5/2011 8:21AM

    That combo of coffee and heat, makes BIG differenct on the heart rate. I use the HR, while running, mainly to watch for dehydration. I'm getting use to the running in the heat, most of my training up to now has been in cooler weather.
Well done on the self monitoring! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
ITSHOWYOULIVE 6/4/2011 10:52PM

    Wow, that is some pretty dramatic effect. Dehydration, stress and excessive caffeine definitely DO NOT mix! Glad you figured out what was going on and it was not more serious. Happy running and hope you keep feeling better and hope that ALL the kids start sleeping the entire night to you can get more of the rest you need.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Lost my motivation. Found my weight I lost.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

I have been in a major slump. Warning, this might be a long blog.

I was doing so good. Even though I was maintaining my weight, I had increased my running. I had completed 3 full marathons in just over 2 months including the Goofy Challenge. People at work ( the Fire Department) was actually telling me I'm nuts with my running. After the ING Miami Marathon my knees were hurting so I decided to take it easy to let them get better. I had my department physical done and the guy said that even though my target heart rate decreased a little due to age, it took you several more minutes to hit it. My physical was improving on all counts except I gained just a couple of pounds from not running until the blood work. My cholesterol was up to 260. Back to medication. We went on vacation for the first time in awhile that I wasn't going for a race. We went to Disneyworld and I didn't have to run. It ended up being the vacation from hell. Even though it wasn't spring break for our area, it must have been everywhere else. It almost made Marathon weekend seem deserted. The Mother-in-law went with us to help with the 3 year old and the 1 year old twins. She ended up being child #4. First, the condo we stayed at was absolutely filthy. Check this place off my list. Got to the Magic Kingdom to find it hot and jammed pack. People wouldn't move and I say 95% didn't speak or didn't want to speak english. I ended up with the 3 year old on my shoulders holding his legs with one hand and pushing the twins in the jogging stroller with the other and at times using it like a bulldozer. Her mother mover slower then the speed of smell so it took even longer to get anywhere. Later that night Logan (the boy twin) got threw-up several times that night. So the next day we took it easy and since I had an extra Park pass I took Tyler ( the 3 year old) back tot he magic Kingdom so we could go back to Small World and see the electric light parade. Logan was doing better so we decided to go to Epcot and then drive home afterward. After we loaded the van back up and checked the condo for anything left behind (her mother watched us do everything and got ready at the last minute) we checked out and was halfway there when her mother asked if I loaded her purse in the van. What, I got everything loaded and you couldn't even handle that!!! So we turn around back to the condo and get the key back and luckily got her purse. We spend the hot day at Epcot and then go to drive home. Katie and I have had it with her mother. She is sitting with the twins and Tyler is in the third row. She puts her head down and says she isn't feeling well. Great, no help with the kids on the way home. She doesn't want me to pull over at any rest area just to go home. So I'm praying there is no police on the way as I'm doing 90 to just get her home and try to end the nightmare. Thank God there wasn't any. We are about 20 miles from her house when she grabs the plastic bag and starts throwing up. Great, Katie is gagging up front as she has a hard time with the sound and smell. She still won't let me pull over. We drop her off and barely get out of her driveway when Katie tells me how she is so mad at her mother and will never take her with us again. We are almost out of her subdivision with Tyler throws-up. Great, I stop and get him cleaned up and zoom home. We get home and Katie isn't feeling good. She gets the double trouble with vomiting and diarrhea. Later that night as I am sleeping in with Tyler to take care of him, Lilly starts and then Logan again. My night consisted of cleaning the kids, Changing their clothes while poor Katie is changing their beds and then washing and drying numerous vomit covered laundry. Luckily I never did get sick. But things started changing more. Now the kids were getting up at 6 to 6:30am with one of the twins waking up at least once during the night. They don't go to bed till 8 to almost 9:00pm. So if I run at night, now it gets real late when I finish and shower. If I get up early, when do I get any sleep. I don't sleep well at all anyway. I get restless leg syndrome and have to get up to walk. I can't clear my mind so I can't sleep. I drink 7 to cups of coffee in the morning to make it through the day. I looked forward to getting on spark and spin the wheel and get all my points and enter my fitness points. Now its oh well. I went a week of not getting on the computer. I have been eating terrible and put 13 pounds back on. I only have 3.5 miles logged so far for May for running. My physician that told me to stop running when I finish my first 5k now yells at me because I'm not running and told me to find the time. I go to work and the people at my Station I'm in charge of are 20 or more years younger than me. I only have my wife and kids to talk to when I'm home. Running was my freedom. I have signed up for the Wine and Dine half in October and the Goofy Challenge for 2012. Now I'm scared about them as I haven't been running. I must take charge and get fit. A friend of mine had a mass in her chest on an x-ray and I still don't know what the outcome of it is and now she changed her spark name so all her old posts are gone. I totally have lost my motivation and no matter what I do doesn't seem good enough. I know I need to change and I will. I already screwed up my food for today so I will start tomorrow. Then of course they say the average life span of a firefighter after retirement is 5 to 10 years. Great, I retire in just over 8 years after 34 years. I'm almost 49. I want to see my kids graduate from college and would love to walk my daughter down the isle at her wedding hopefully in 25 years.
Sorry if this was depressing, but maybe it will help me get back again. I want to be a motivator to others instead of what I have become.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MAPLELEAFMOM 6/6/2011 2:54AM

    Hey, another person getting back on track after being in a funk!! So sad to hear that things have been so crazy and stressful but know you aren't alone!! OMG on the MIL trip !!

I'm just getting back on here again too. After moving to California, getting my kids settled into a new life, finally buying a house after a long 10 month realty deal, dealing with foot injuries and rehab, gaining 20 lbs,and all the other 'stuff', life has just been crazy! I'm finally getting my ducks back in a row as well and hoping to run the Disneyland 1/2 in Sept and then the new D/L Tinker Bell race in January! Thank goodness for Disney or I'd really be in trouble LOL!!

You can do it! Take it one day at a time and at times one hour at a time !!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ETTEZEUS 5/30/2011 4:22PM

    I was wondering where you were.

You'll get it back. Just take one day at a time.
I'm doing Goofy this year myself. And the Space Coast marathon too!

And I'm doing the Hood to Coast 200 mile relay in August in Portland Oregon.
Also got a hm in Seattle the end of June and one in Macon the middle of July.

So, is that motivating to you? LOL

Report Inappropriate Comment
CRYSBROWN1 5/29/2011 8:16PM

    OMG, your "vacation" sounds like an absolute nightmare! I sure hope that your family members are feeling a bit better by now, no wonder you are feeling stressed/depressed though. Getting it all out there was probably a good thing. You can get back on track & lose those 13lbs, you are taking the first step already, it definitely takes motivation to come back to Spark & air out what's been going on. To reiterate what was already said here...YOU CAN DO IT!!

Report Inappropriate Comment


I was so happy to see a blog from you. I am so sorry you are having all this stress and no running - remember what I did with 6 months off from running - you will so do fine at Wine and Dine & Goofy. I will be doing Donald Half and the chip & Dale marathon relay. So - we will see each other again.

Just start back slow and build up slowly especially during this summer heat.

Anything thing I can do to help motivate you just ask.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CRZYRUNRGRL 5/29/2011 7:17PM

    Hi Barry!
I have wondered where you have been. I fell off of the wagon too. I have gained 10lbs and haven't run much. I have a half next weekend that is going to be tough!
I'm sorry to hear about your vacation. Tell Katy and the kiddos hello for me :0)

Holly is doing well. She started a new page a few days ago. Its the first friend on my page so go find her. Its something like runnrgrrl74. The mass on her x ray ended up being a folded vein.

I know you will do amazing at wine and dine as well as goofy. Your an awesome runner and once you get back out there you will feel great!

Comment edited on: 5/29/2011 9:25:07 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
ITSHOWYOULIVE 5/29/2011 6:02PM

    Whoa, Dude, you are in a major funk. Okay, a few suggestions, if I may. Glad you blogged the nightmare vacay...good to get that out there and dealt with. Sorry you can't depend on one of the people that is supposed to be there for you. Glad everyone survived the illness. Life has a way of throwing a lot of things at us all at the same time. I would suggest that first, you ditch the coffee. Way too much. It'll be a rough couple of days but your body will return to its natural rhythms soon and you should sleep better at night. You know that running will help with that too. Get it done in the morning so it is out of the way, you'll have a bit more energy to get you through the day and you won't be amped up in the evening when it is time to go to sleep. As for work...are there any "clubs", organizations, whatever of retired firemen in the area. People closer to your age and demographic to talk to, share the stress of the job with, etc. Eight years sounds like a long time, but it really isn' are moving into the transition time at work. You've been around longer than most, but not ready to leave the job for good, but it might be a good time to start forging those relationships that will help to carry you through the transition and into retirement. Find and/or make those friends who have "been there/done that" and understand what you are experiencing. A few bar-b-q's, group runs or golf games with those who have done it already might be good therapy at a fraction of the cost :). The prediction for post-job life expectancy might be the average, but you are NOT average. You know the reasons that number exists and what to do to combat the results of the stress of being a fireman, namely a fit and healthy lifestyle before AND after retirement. You have a lot to keep you going after retirement, lots that others don't have. Life carries no guarantees, but you are working hard to be at that wedding and the odds are in your favor. Good luck on starting back on the right track tomorrow.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ROGUE8878 5/29/2011 5:43PM

    Wow it does seem like you are having a tough time but I still see that determination trying to break through again. I have too went on vacation with my mother-in-law and it was tough as well so I feel for you both there, and everyone getting sick on the trip didnt help with it either. I know you will get back into your groove like you were before. We all have setbacks but with help from others we get right back on that ride and begin again. It might be tough but I know you can do it! I wouldn't pay too much attention to that life span of a firefighter. That's just statistics, none of them are totally accurate. Each person's body is different, and you have been improving your health. I hope I was able to help you a little. I wish you tons of good luck in your adventure! :) emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

ING Miami Marathon, Maniac #3449 yes, Miami never again.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

What can I say; I really didnít care for Miami too much. I never have been to a City that you have to pay for parking everywhere. This was going to be my 3rd Marathon in 64 days and would be become a member of Marathon Maniacís. I felt like I was more nervous going to Miami then the actual Marathon this time as Itís a big city (for me). I wanted to find a cheap hotel since Iím only just going to use it to sleep prior to the race and one that was close to the race. I wouldnít have cared about the distance, but it was also the first time I have been to a race that you had to pay for round trip shuttle service. So I found a hotel that was walking distance to and from the start and finish lines. Plus the hotel had a parking garage so it should be easier for parking so I thought. So I left the house at almost 10:00am and drove to Miami. I knew it was going to be a fun time when even the Garmin had some problems with the tall buildings and trees getting reception at times. I located the hotel and thought yes it doesnít look that great but it is in a good location. I drove around trying to find a place to park as I didnít know if I found the correct parking garage. Finally and was able to get to a meter parking area as the streets were being redirected for the race tomorrow. So I tried to use the credit card meter and even thought I like computers, this one was weird. I ended up paying 15 dollars to park just so I can go check in. Of course I walk over and go to check-in. I always have been able to check-in a little early but not here. Sorry, not till 4:00pm. At first they couldnít find my reservation but after awhile they found it so they said when I come back it would be no problem. Check-out is at 11:00am. I was told the parking garage next to them is the one to use and just park there and bring back the blue ticket. So I left to head to the expo to meet up with my fellow sparkers and get my bib and goody bag. So it was 15 dollars for about 15 minutes of parking. At the expo it was only 5 dollars to park. Got my stuff and hooked up with some sparkers. Some I have known for awhile now and some meeting for the first time. It was very nice to do so. I had my picture taken with Danny and Jackie from the Biggest Loser several seasons ago which I love that show. I left the expo and followed Holly and Sueann to Carrabbaís for our carb loading dinner. Of course we had to pay 5 dollars for parking there. We also hooked up with Sueannís friends that were running there 1st Marathon tomorrow. After dinner we said our goodbyeís till we see everyone again at our corrals. So I left Miami Beach to the hotel. Now I used up the cash that I had on me for parking and at the expo. So I get to the parking garage and yes it is with the hotel, but they want 15 dollars cash now. Here is where the fun really begins. They wouldnít let me park and go to an ATM and come back. So I was kicked out. So I kept driving around trying to find a place to park to run in to an ATM. The previous area that used the meters that you could use a card was closed because of the race with a person standing guard. Finally I drove further away trying to find a bank with a drive up ATM. Couldnít find one. Finally I see a Police Officer that just finished fueling his car and asked him if there was a drive up ATM anywhere and I will never forget what he said, ďNot around here Bubba.Ē After 2 hours of driving around and finding some really bad places I was almost ready to leave. I finally went back to the meter parking and begged the guard to let me park there so I could walk over to the ATM to get money so I could go elsewhere to park. He finally agreed. Then I also realized to myself that if I park at the garage for the hotel, it doesnít open till 8:00am, the race starts at 6:15am and check out is at 11:00am so unless I did my best run and ran back to the hotel would be pushing it to check out and I wouldnít be able to check out and carry my luggage to the car as it wouldnít open till 8:00am. So I located another public parking lot and for 20 dollars I could stay till 1:30pm. So I did that so I would have my keys and can take my luggage to the car and drop it off. Letís just say I would never stay at that hotel again as I was looking at the clock at 1:30am as the bed was harder than the floor and the sheets made me itch so I slept on top. But I did what I had to and got up and got ready. Checked out, took the luggage to the car and walked over to the corrals and hooked up with everyone. This is also the first race I was at that the Half Marathon and the Full Marathon were in the same corrals and ran the race together till they turned to the finish and the full went on. Also it didnít start in waves but everyone goes together which made it very crowded since over 21,000 were running. I started off pretty good I thought and was a little upset that the water stops were only on one side, no warning and if you were on the wrong side it was a fight to cut across to it. Also some people didnít walk or run through but actually stopped to drink. The roads were a little rough but the draw bridges with the metal grates hurt my knees. I hit the half at just over 2hrs 11 mines and was feeling alright. I was almost on a 4hr 20 min race time when it got hot. I thought the Police did an excellent job blocking the roads, but someone let that semi-truck on the course that slammed into me. Some call it the wall but it was like a semi-truck. I pushed it to mile 21 when my body told me to walk or Iíll kill you. So I started walking. I walked for 3 miles till mile marker 24 and then I told my body I wasnít going to walk and Iím running the rest no matter how slow. So I ran slow and in pain the rest of the way and finished with a time of 4:54:14. Made it over to meet the other sparkers that finished the Marathon or half Marathon and drank some fluids and rested. Waited till Sueann finished and then Holly. That was all the sparkers. It was getting close to 1:30pm so we said our goodbyes to everyone and I went to my car and drove home barefoot. Glad to get away from Miami. One race I really donít care to do again. But I did get Marathon Maniac #3449. Now to take a little time off to recover.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

ITSHOWYOULIVE 3/2/2011 11:44PM

    Sorry Miami was a bummer, but congrats on the Marathon Maniac!! Wow!! That is impressive, now I have something to show my husband I am not crazy for wanting to do a 5K, a trail run 5K and a Half in consecutive weekends :). Enjoy your break :).

Report Inappropriate Comment
LUV4CHOCOLATE 2/9/2011 9:46PM

    Wow - great job pushing through! I almost did this marathon as my first (because I wasn't sure I could train in time for Disney). Now I'm gald I made the choice I did!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CATIATM 2/8/2011 3:10PM

    Congrats on finishing. HUGE congrats on earning your maniac number -- that is AMAZING!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RUN2BEFREE 2/6/2011 7:47PM

    Congrats on your Marathon Maniac status and the completion of yet another marathon! Way go go!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CASSIOEPIA 2/6/2011 6:39PM

    Great job on getting the Maniac status! Sorry the race locale wasn't all it could have been.

Report Inappropriate Comment

    What a time you had. Sorry for such a bad experience but you will never forget it.

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Great job Barry - Even with the circumstances you dealt with you hung in there and did well.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MBSHAZZER 2/3/2011 9:42AM

    Barry, great meeting you and congrats on your maniac status! Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the race...

Report Inappropriate Comment
LAB-LOVER 2/3/2011 6:47AM

    Congratulations Maniac -- it was nice to meet you! And we were bugged by the parking and lack of ATMs too. There we were in South Beach where everything cost $$$$$$$ and there were NO BANKS, just little portable ATMs in a few restaurants (which always make me nervous). And a big sign that said $15 outside the parking garage -- what they didn't tell you is that it is $15 for every 12 hours, not 24!
I won't be back either -- not because I hated the race, but I'm trying to do all 50 states and Florida is DONE.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ESBELL 2/2/2011 2:15PM

    Horray on earning that MARATHON MANIAC! I'm so impressed with anyone that can do the things you do. One day I hope to grow up to be a runner like you

Report Inappropriate Comment
WHITEKP 2/2/2011 1:41PM

    Congrats on being a Marathon Maniac! I'm sorry to hear about the problems you ran into. Marathon training is about overcoming anything and you certainly proved that you trained well. I've heard different reports on the race itself, so I'm glad I didn't attempt the half after flu/bronchitis. I'll be doing BCM half in Jax next weekend. Hope to see you at another race in the near future.

Report Inappropriate Comment
DDHEART 2/2/2011 10:56AM

    OMG! With all the difficulties you reported at first when I read about the semi truck....I actually thought you got hit! LOL I was so absorbed by your story....sorry Miami was a bad experience but I am beyond impressed by anyone who can do what you have done....and envious that you were also able to get together with sparkfriends!

Report Inappropriate Comment
TAMTAM64 2/2/2011 10:43AM

    It was great meeting you in Miami!

I totally agree with you about the Miami race - way too many people for me to run with. I greatly appreciate the wave start now. I was very sore after this race and I think it is due to changing my running stride to avoid tripping over people.

I had the BEST TIME with my Spark friends in Miami though. Although the race was not that great, I enjoyed my time with fellow sparkers. We had tons of fun. Wish you could have hung out with us! :)

Run Strong,

Report Inappropriate Comment
MRS_LOOMIS 2/2/2011 9:14AM

    I had a similar experience with the ING in Atlanta last year....and I won't run it again. There are too many great races and great destinations out there.

Having said that: WAY TO GO! You persevered and met your maniac goal.....and that is AWESOME

Report Inappropriate Comment
MCANIRLINH 2/2/2011 7:07AM

    Wow - what an adventure.

But WOW - WOW - WOW - what an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LALAFLOWERS 2/2/2011 7:00AM

    Holly.. Forget Miami, but remember the number that you got from the maniacs. That was your goal, you made it. Very, very good job on finishing under 5hours, when you had just spent the previous week in bed, sick. I am amazed!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RUNDARCYRUN 2/2/2011 6:42AM

    Awesome job, you marathon maniac, you!!! Congrats!! I am totally there with you about Miami. I lived there for a short time and HATED it, then lived a little further north (West Palm Beach/Jupiter area) and that was ok, but still hate the heat!! I've lived in Germany now for 4 years, so running a marathon in FL would probably kill me at this point... Haha!

But you did awesome! WTG!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DRAGONFLY1974 2/2/2011 5:04AM

    I''m with you kiddo...Miami...never worst half and worst marathon were both there, I don't need a repeat!! Plus I don't like going broke over parking and the fact that the hotels weren't working with the runners to allow late checkout! Congrats on becoming a maniac with us!!!! You still rocked it even though the wall/semi got you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ETTEZEUS 2/1/2011 10:24PM

    Congrats on becoming a maniac.
Sorry you didn't have fun in Miami.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CRZYRUNRGRL 2/1/2011 10:13PM

    I think we all felt the same about the parking, race and hotels! And Miami! Lol!
My hotel charged my card again and the mgr won't return my phone calls! I'm getting mad!

You did fantastic though! The course was tough, the heat was too much and the races we ran were enough!
Congras MM!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last Page