Sunday, December 20, 2009
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just 1 cucumber contains Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium & Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon? Put down the caffeinated soda & pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins & Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror. It will eliminate the fog & provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs & slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin & your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy & make them flee the area.
5. Looking for a fast & easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes. The phytochemicals in the cucumber causes the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer & reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles, too!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed & wake up refreshed & headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins, & electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover & headache!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries & often used by European trappers, traders & explorers for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview & you realize that you donít have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoes, its chemicals will provide a quick & durable shine that not only looks great, but also repels water.
9. Out of WD40 & need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice & rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out & donít have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber & place it in a boiling pot of water. The chemicals & nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water & be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress in new mothers & college students during final exams.
11. Just finish a business lunch & realize you donít have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber & press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath. The phytochemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a ďgreenĒ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber & rub it on the surface you want to clean. Not only will it remove years of tarnish & bring back the shine, but it wonít leave streaks & wonít harm your fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen & make a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber & slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons & markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!
Who knew the lowly cucumber could do all that! I wonder how they ever figured out some of these things? Like, who tried cleaning their sinks or stainless steel with cucumber in the first place? I am just glad that someone tried it. Lucky for me I love cucumbers - now that I know just how good for me they are, I will eat them even more often!