Saturday, January 09, 2010
When life is out of balance, we can feel it. Stress leaves us drained, exhausted and irritable. That’s why knowing how to manage stress and rebalance our energies is essential for health and happiness. It’s not a luxury to make time in your life for things that feed your spirit. It’s something we all owe ourselves, and the people around us.
Here’s 10 little life-balancers to recharge your batteries in a weekend, an afternoon or just a few minutes:
1. Get into nature. Head for a hiking trail or the local park. Walk on the beach or along the river. Nature has healing powers.
2. Connect with a friend. We all need them for support, advice and laughs. Meet for coffee, catch a movie or just call and catch up.
3. Connect with an animal. “Pet therapy” lifts the spirits and takes your mind off yourself for a while.
4. Center yourself. Anytime, anywhere: put your attention on your breath in one spot and leave it there. You’ll feel calmer and more grounded.
5. Sweat it out. When you’re tense, a vigorous workout is a great way to blow off steam. (Check with your doctor before starting an exercise regimen.)
6. Say no. It’s OK if you don’t do everything all the time.
7. Say yes. If someone offers to help, let them.
8. Express yourself. Write in a journal or make art. Unleash the creative force within you.
9. Do something spontaneous. Shake up the routine. Take a drive in a new direction – or be a tourist in your hometown.
10. Have a drink…and make it water! Water is an essential nutrient for the body.