Tuesday, January 31, 2012
How I did in January:
1) Maintain my weight at +5 / -14 pounds
2) Become a half fanatic by the end of August.
Ran the 1st of 3 HMs last weekend and the next to are scheduled for Feb & Mar
3) Do some sort of housecleaning or maintenance daily.
Some days the most I did was make my bed, but the goal is about doing a little at a time to build consistency and a habit, not about going all out all at once.
4) Break my dependence on Splenda - reduce to 2 packets per tea cup in January.
February I go down to 1 packet per cup of tea.
5) Finalize my budget by the end of Jan and stick to it to pay off at least 3 loans by Dec.
Budget is done and can pay off 4 debts this year if I stick to it (and no major unexpected expenses occur). Stuck to the budget for January and Debt #1 was paid off today!
6) Ready to test for black belt by end of June; post action plan in Jan; pass test
Action plan posted to be ready to test by end of June; testing date tentatively scheduled for 7/7, depending on Sensei B's final approval
7) Finish replacing all the light switches and wall outlets by the end of March. Then focus on completing 1 room at a time instead of jumping all around the house and never really finishing anything. Complete the 3 in use bedrooms by the end of December. Completing a room involves replacing all moldings & trim, doors, light/ceiling fan and drapes.
Have not done a single thing yet. Need to start working on the outlets and switches on the weekends to meet this goal.
8) Run my first marathon by October 21.
I will not even start training for this until after black belt testing, assuming in July.
9) Other goals as they occur to me.
Got the Boy Scout Troop rechartered yesterday, taxes filed and ACT registration done today.
10) Have fun and stress less!
So far, so good. Having all the painting done and daily cleaning has really reduced a lot of background stress, as has clearing off a good portion of counter space through new storage solutions. I have some new responsibilities at work, which are challenging and I enjoy, and I am doing better at not letting the occasional stupidity get to me.
On to February, and thankfully there is an extra day this month because I really need it!
Monday, January 30, 2012
I like trying new foods, especially fruit. When my kids were babies I would buy whatever "strange" fruits and vegetables I could find to make their baby food. I've kept that up over the years (buying new fruits & veggies, not making baby food lol) and I think that is a good part of the reason my children like such a wide variety of foods today. I never had a problem with picky eaters.
So this morning I found a new exotic fruit to go in the fruit basket on the counter.
However, I think this one is a bit too exotic for my taste:
He is known as Gandalf Crop-Ear or, as we called him for the holidays, Gandy Cane.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
I want to earn my black belt. To go from merely wanting to accomplishing I need a plan on how to get there.
The requirements for black belt are:
1) Demonstrate proficiency in all techniques from white belt to black
2) Demonstrate proficiency in all katas (forms, basically a set series of techniques)
3) Know all required terminology in Korean and Japanese
4) 20 class periods as an assistant
5) 2 minute self defense demonstration
6) 2 mile run in 18 minutes or less
7) 50 each push ups, sit ups, lunges, jumping jacks, jump rope
8) term paper on the history of karate
Out of these I have number 6 complete. I have backslid on the pushups and need to build those back up to 50 again. I have 19 techniques still to improve and be "signed off", i.e. good enough to consider testing, and 2 kata left out of the 10 required.
I have formally announced my intention to test for black belt to Sensei B. I will be testing with 1, possibly 2, other students. We agreed on July 7 as the test date, pending availability of the school and the schedules of the black belts who will be evaluating us. If July 7 is not available we will have to wait until August based on our own schedules.
Starting now this is my plan to be ready by the end of June:
1) 4 techniques approved per month
2) Ni kyoso suro no kata approved in February; Bassai kata approved in March
3) Make terminology flashcards by end of February; review weekly until testing
4) Assist in 4 classes per month
5) Write down basic overall demo plan by end of February; finalize by end of March; recruit volunteers and start practicing by end of April
6) Keep running so as to maintain ability to run 2 miles in 18 minutes
7) Be able to do 40 pushups in February; 45 in March; 50 in April; 55 in May; 60 in June
8) Start research by end of March; rough draft by end of April; final paper by end of May
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
On 4/28/12 in Mt. Clemens, MI there is the Let's Move Festival of Races. There is a 5k walk, 5k run and a half marathon. Registration is now open on active.com.
The 5k run was my first ever race last year so has a special place in my memories.
Before I go ahead and register for one of the races I thought it would be nice if there are other SP members in the SE MI area who would like to enter as a group.
Whether it is for the 5k walk or run, or even the HM, doesn't matter. Any would be good to do as a group.
Is there anyone interested?
Friday, January 20, 2012
Tonight we are getting our first real snow of the season.
I really dislike snow. Snow is cold. I don't like being cold. I don't like having to dress in layers or wear heavy sweaters.
And yet I live in Michigan, where it gets cold and there is generally snow. Sigh. One of these days I just might get around to moving to warmer climes.
In the meantime it is snowing and very cold out. Which means I may have to shovel in the morning since neither teenager is likely to be awake when I want to leave for class. Yes, I know shoveling snow is exercise but I have plenty of other ways to get in my fitness minutes.
And in a fit of insanity I just registered for a winter series of 3 half marathons. Did I mention I really dislike snow and cold? Apparently the cold has frozen my brain cells.
Get An Email Alert Each Time FANGFACEKITTY Posts