Tuesday, February 07, 2012
A mild rant about other kid's parents. Or maybe it IS just me.
I have control-freak tendencies, I admit it, but I try to keep them in check now that my kids are getting older (16 & 13). I encourage them to be independent (within guidelines due to their ages) because I refuse to be one of those moms who can't cut the apron strings. Actually, I refuse to even have apron strings and I am actively looking forward to them leaving the nest and living their own lives.
So last night I picked up my son from his girlfriend's and he starts asking me questions about the scholarship application. He's worried because a transcript is required, it can take 2 weeks for the transcript to be sent, and the scholarship application is due next Wednesday. Then he says GF is also worried and doesn't know what to do with her application.
OK, I think, GF also has parents, so I asked him what her parents said. His reply?
She's doing it by herself, they are not helping her.
Um, do they know she's applying?
And they are not helping her with the process?
There is a line between doing it for your kids and helping them do it themselves. But to not even help, something as simple as explain the form and the process and then answer questions?
Now, if it were up to my son I'd be doing the whole thing for him because it's easier for him that way. But that isn't going to happen and he knows it so he's working on the process himself...with my support and guidance but he is doing the actual work.
So I told him she can come over Sunday and I'll sit down with both of them, walk through the application and proof read her essays too, and make sure they both have everything done as well as possible for submission next week.
I openly admit I am not even close to being the best parent in the world. But even I cannot conceive of being the way I observe so many parents these days...and ones that are my own age or older and so should know better. Letting their kids run riot in inappropriate settings (gym, restaurants, offices, stores, etc.). Letting their kids not just talk back but be actively rude to them (name calling, insults, etc.). Verbally attacking other adults when the adult dares to call attention to the child's misbehavior. My daughter use to have a friend who would not go home for days, spending the nights with various friends, and who would be out walking from place to place in the middle of the night, smoked, stole, got in fights...and who was 13 at the time. 13 years old and you let your daughter not come home for 2-3 days in a row, don't know that she's out walking around at 2 in the morning (or maybe don't care?).
I'm going to stop now because I'm really starting to make myself angry.
I am positive it is NOT me with the problem.
And when I heard that the former friend was going to walk home in the middle of the night I did pack up my daughter and go looking for her to give her a ride home. I know that at least for that one night she was safe.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
How I did in January:
1) Maintain my weight at +5 / -14 pounds
2) Become a half fanatic by the end of August.
Ran the 1st of 3 HMs last weekend and the next to are scheduled for Feb & Mar
3) Do some sort of housecleaning or maintenance daily.
Some days the most I did was make my bed, but the goal is about doing a little at a time to build consistency and a habit, not about going all out all at once.
4) Break my dependence on Splenda - reduce to 2 packets per tea cup in January.
February I go down to 1 packet per cup of tea.
5) Finalize my budget by the end of Jan and stick to it to pay off at least 3 loans by Dec.
Budget is done and can pay off 4 debts this year if I stick to it (and no major unexpected expenses occur). Stuck to the budget for January and Debt #1 was paid off today!
6) Ready to test for black belt by end of June; post action plan in Jan; pass test
Action plan posted to be ready to test by end of June; testing date tentatively scheduled for 7/7, depending on Sensei B's final approval
7) Finish replacing all the light switches and wall outlets by the end of March. Then focus on completing 1 room at a time instead of jumping all around the house and never really finishing anything. Complete the 3 in use bedrooms by the end of December. Completing a room involves replacing all moldings & trim, doors, light/ceiling fan and drapes.
Have not done a single thing yet. Need to start working on the outlets and switches on the weekends to meet this goal.
8) Run my first marathon by October 21.
I will not even start training for this until after black belt testing, assuming in July.
9) Other goals as they occur to me.
Got the Boy Scout Troop rechartered yesterday, taxes filed and ACT registration done today.
10) Have fun and stress less!
So far, so good. Having all the painting done and daily cleaning has really reduced a lot of background stress, as has clearing off a good portion of counter space through new storage solutions. I have some new responsibilities at work, which are challenging and I enjoy, and I am doing better at not letting the occasional stupidity get to me.
On to February, and thankfully there is an extra day this month because I really need it!
Monday, January 30, 2012
I like trying new foods, especially fruit. When my kids were babies I would buy whatever "strange" fruits and vegetables I could find to make their baby food. I've kept that up over the years (buying new fruits & veggies, not making baby food lol) and I think that is a good part of the reason my children like such a wide variety of foods today. I never had a problem with picky eaters.
So this morning I found a new exotic fruit to go in the fruit basket on the counter.
However, I think this one is a bit too exotic for my taste:
He is known as Gandalf Crop-Ear or, as we called him for the holidays, Gandy Cane.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
I want to earn my black belt. To go from merely wanting to accomplishing I need a plan on how to get there.
The requirements for black belt are:
1) Demonstrate proficiency in all techniques from white belt to black
2) Demonstrate proficiency in all katas (forms, basically a set series of techniques)
3) Know all required terminology in Korean and Japanese
4) 20 class periods as an assistant
5) 2 minute self defense demonstration
6) 2 mile run in 18 minutes or less
7) 50 each push ups, sit ups, lunges, jumping jacks, jump rope
8) term paper on the history of karate
Out of these I have number 6 complete. I have backslid on the pushups and need to build those back up to 50 again. I have 19 techniques still to improve and be "signed off", i.e. good enough to consider testing, and 2 kata left out of the 10 required.
I have formally announced my intention to test for black belt to Sensei B. I will be testing with 1, possibly 2, other students. We agreed on July 7 as the test date, pending availability of the school and the schedules of the black belts who will be evaluating us. If July 7 is not available we will have to wait until August based on our own schedules.
Starting now this is my plan to be ready by the end of June:
1) 4 techniques approved per month
2) Ni kyoso suro no kata approved in February; Bassai kata approved in March
3) Make terminology flashcards by end of February; review weekly until testing
4) Assist in 4 classes per month
5) Write down basic overall demo plan by end of February; finalize by end of March; recruit volunteers and start practicing by end of April
6) Keep running so as to maintain ability to run 2 miles in 18 minutes
7) Be able to do 40 pushups in February; 45 in March; 50 in April; 55 in May; 60 in June
8) Start research by end of March; rough draft by end of April; final paper by end of May
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
On 4/28/12 in Mt. Clemens, MI there is the Let's Move Festival of Races. There is a 5k walk, 5k run and a half marathon. Registration is now open on active.com.
The 5k run was my first ever race last year so has a special place in my memories.
Before I go ahead and register for one of the races I thought it would be nice if there are other SP members in the SE MI area who would like to enter as a group.
Whether it is for the 5k walk or run, or even the HM, doesn't matter. Any would be good to do as a group.
Is there anyone interested?
Get An Email Alert Each Time FANGFACEKITTY Posts