Monday, October 01, 2012
Today is the first of October and it's time for me to list my goals again. Before I do, I'd like to give some information about October.
1. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I have always made an appointment for my mammogram to be in October. it is my birthday month, so i can always remember it. I would like to suggest that you do, too. Check with your Doctor to give you a referal and have one as often as s/he suggests. Men can also get breast cancer. Today on MSN, they had an article about 17 celebrities who have had breast cancer. of the 17, 2 were men - Richard Roundtree who played Shaft in the movies in the 70's. I forget his full name, but his last name is Kriss and he was one of the original members of the group Kiss in the 80's. One of my sorority sister's husband died from this disease when he was in his early 40's. Having my yearly mammogram is how my cancer was found. I was truly fortunate that it was caught so early. IT was a Stage 1A. So remember, "The best protection is early detection. it saves lives - it did mine." The first part is from the ACS, the last part is mine.
2. The birthstone for October is the Opal. LEgend says that if you buy one for yourself and weren't born in October, they are bad luck. It is ok if someone gifts you with one.
3. October is Halloween month. There are many sites on the web telling about the history, parties, decorations, etc. This is the one I enjoy a lot. halloween.com/history_halloween.php When I was a child, the city where i lived celebrated the entire last week of October, letting children trick or treat each night. A lot of the treats we received were homemade, such as fudge, popcorn balls, candy, cupcakes, etc. and fruit such as apples and oranges. This was fine until some sicko in later years decided to harm kids with adding harmful things to the treats.
4. Since my birthday is two days before, it took me until I was about 8 or 9 before I realized all the fuss truly wasn't for me. Now my niece has a son and my nephew has a son and our birthdays are the 29th, 30th, and 31st!!
These are some of the blinkies I have collected over the years. The first part of October is the sign of Libra and the end part is Scorpio. i don't believe in it, but is a fun fact to know.
Now for my goals.
First the goals I have for my Spark journey to be healthy.
1. Continue following healthy eating and exercising. That includes continuing to track everything. Continue drinking lots of water and limiting my Zero soda to one a day.
2. Continue trying to visit my teams and buds as often as I can to leave encouragement and support to everyone.
3. Keeping my weight within five pounds of goal, one way or the other. I will remain in the healthy BMI range should I do this.
4. Continue to have my checkups with all my oncologists as scheduled. That goes for my ENT, too. This is the only way that i can keep healthy enough to keep track of everything to be sure the cancers don't return.
Now for my personal goals:
1. Keep in touch with my family and friends frequently.
2. Continue to support and encourage my neighbors and friends. That means to be smiling and giving compliments to everyone as I see them first thing in the day. It was Mother Theresa who said "We can never know the good that comes from a single smile." Those are good words to be a part of your life philosophy.
3. Keep trying to catch up on my laundry!!!!!!!!!
4. Continue to write as much as possible.
5. Get ready for National Novel Writing Month in November. As a Liaison between the organization and local writers, i need to accomplish a lot so that 01 November we'll all be ready to go. If anyone is interested in signing on the URL is: www.nanowrimo.org/
6. Continue reading my Bible, saying my daily prayers, and saying a rosary daily.
That's it for the month. I hope I am able to keep up with them. Tomorrow, I'll write how I did with September goals.
Everyone have a lovely October.
Peace, love, and happiness for all my Spark Buds.
Sunday, September 30, 2012
30. What are you most proud of about your journey towards healthy living during the month of September?
The thing I am most proud of for September is my great PET scan and gaining from 117 to 122. That number seems to make everyone else happy too, along with the PET scan. September has been a really good month at my house!!
I am so blessed to have my family and my friends in my life. God has really watched out for me. I hope some of my answers to the challenge questions will help others to keep going rather than give up. Or to try some of the things that have helped me or others who made comments about what helped them. Being on a plateau is no fun and sometimes all it takes is a minor change.
How fortunate are we that Spark Guy opened this site with such wonderful information and all for free! I still am in wonder of that!! All the friendships here are amazing, too. My own opinion? Since we all are on a very similar journey we can help one another. All of the support and encouragement make it easier to become really good friends. We might not know everything about one another, but we know enough. We know that we are all trying to lead a better lifestyle through better eating and exercise. A huge part of that is our mental attitudes and staying positive. If we don't find it with our family and friends, we can always come here and know our Spark Buds are here for us with just the words we need.
Now let me honor today by asking a stupid question. Has anyone ever dare you to do something and laughed at and then refused to do?
My best for all my buds to have during October.
Peace, Love, and Friendship
My last two angels for you
Taken 27 Sept 2012 Oncology nurse Rocky kneeling, frogs Bob made, and Ev and Bob. This part of the Cancer Center is: Florida Radiation Oncology Group = FROG!!
Saturday, September 29, 2012
29. There is so much MORE to you than your wellness journey. Please share 10 facts about yourself that aren't related to your weight loss journey, how you eat, or how you exercise.
1. This is my third marriage and I have been married since 2000.
2. I have been in all but 7 of the lower 48 states in the US - RI, NM, AZ, MS, Ark., OK, and ND., Canada, and England.
3. I have no children of my own.
4. I used to do a lot of volunteering. Girl Scout Leader and Council team. I also wrote a program on genealogy for my Council. Boy Scouts, I was a commissioner and merit badge counselor for 5 different badges - Communications, Citizenship in the Community, Country, and World, and American Heritage. Rape Crisis - counselor, co-coordinator, speaker at schools, school boards, etc. to help bring awareness of the crime. Lector at my parrish. Also in the choir at several different churches through the years.
5. When I started to college, my major was Christian Education. When I graduated, my major was Law Enforcement Administration and minor psychology. I also attended tech schooland have my cosmetology license.
6. I danced with my dance class on a children's show on a Cleveland TV station. I was 5 years old.
7. In school, I was a majorette in junior high, high school, and summer bands.
8. I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 years old.
9. My parents had me give up dancing for piano and organ lessons when I was 8. I have also had lessons on the tenor sax and clarinet.
10. Two of my friends married and had two separate services. He was Native American (he has since passed away) and she is Jewish. I was the female attendant in both ceremonies and signed the certificate. It was very interesting doing both. I had to study Native American customs to be able to be in the ceremony. i also had to go through a naming ceremony before, too. He is the one who gave me my Native American name - Medicine Cloud Dancing.
These are the words used for deciding on the name and at the ceremony:
The great one has spoken.
Those who came before and
Those who are to come
You have it inside
You need to use it wisely.
You need to learn so that
Life that is taken and life
That is given can live
Together in harmony as one.
It is up to you to heal and bring hope.
When you cross to the other side, then
You will know the truth.
Before you leave, you must extend the hand
Of freedom and hope and healing and pass
That truth to others.
22 May 2006
These are the words as best I can remember them. Some may not be exact, but how I felt them.
Did everyone enjoy all angels day? I surely did. I have a small collection of angels,most are Roman's and pins.
Peace, Love, and Friendship to all of my Spark angel Friends.
(I wasn't able to add pictures or do spell check.)
Friday, September 28, 2012
28. What do you do for wellness? For example, to increase emotional, spiritual, or intellectual well-being?
Some of the best things I do for my wellness are to smile a lot, try to get rid of the negativity around me - even people, - try to help others and try to make them feel better about themselves, and try to not to stress over something over which I have no control.
One of my biggest personal challenges is patience. I have a difficult time waiting for something to happen or getting where I need to be. I have studied over this matter. It is one of those control issues. I stress when I really shouldn't. Things will happen in the time they need and not before. I'm also very good at giving things to God, then by stressing, taking it back. I always consider myself as His problem child - always giving Him things and then taking back those issues. These are things I must work on for my spiritual well being. What a lot of my friends don't understand is how i can be friends with so many different people with different ideas than we hold. OK, so I believe differently. As long as someone treats me fairly and is basically a good person, I could care less what they believe. After all, it is their business, not mine. I enjoy learning about everything and all of my friends usually teach me something I can use in my own life.
As far as emotional wellness goes, I need to stay as positive as possible. You see, I was diagnosed as Bipolar with PTSD in 2007. I am on medication that works really well. IT was a long struggle to find proper amounts of each med to get the combination that works the very best for me. After going through all I have in the past two years, I realize how unpredictable life truly is. Because of that, I want what is best for me and mine. In order to do that, I need to smile a lot, even when it might be difficult. I really love being able to help others and if I can be supportive, even if it is to say "hello, I'm thinking of you" I do it. I have been keeping a journal since I was nine years old. Journaling and blogging are something that helps me keep my emotional balance, too. I know some feel I reveal too much, but they haven't a clue how much I keep private. It's not easy to do, but I try to be careful what I do post. I have received so much support and encouragement from my Spark friends, that I have to return that to someone else in need. Getting rid of the negativity hasn't been easy, and I'm still working on it, but something i need to do for my emotional well being.
As far as intellectual wellness goes, I have lots of things I do. I still love to read, do genealogy research, and write. Not only does it help me to journal and blog, but I also write novellas each November and have since 2002. The program is called, National Novel Writing Month. The object is to write a 50,000 plus word novel in the month of November. I have really loved doing this project. Bob has done it since 2004. His novels are a series of mystery/investigation/forensics books. My own have been a mix. A lot of what I write comes from my life experiences only expanded and certainly fiction. I also do research ahead of time. IE: if my novel takes place in 1957, I'll look for popular music, movies, and TV shows during that period. I'll also find what was in style in both fashion and decorating, along with appliances and cooking. I also read our local newspaper and five on-line papers including my hometown one. As most of you know by now, I can be very verbal, so I enjoy teaching journaling and present a program on it, too, writing poetry, doing puzzles, and I'm going to be starting a jigsaw puzzle when I finish with NaNoWriMo this year. Keeping active mentally is what I do for my intellectual wellness.
Thanks to everyone who has sent me goodies and comments about my good report from yesterday. I really do appreciate it. I feel so good when I see a goodie or positive words sent to me or left in comments. It is no wonder I love all of you so very much.
Peace, Love, and Hope to all of you. Enjoy your weekend one and all.
Another angel for the week. I love angels and that is partially where my user name comes.
Thursday, September 27, 2012
26. Do you like to exercise alone, with a partner, in a small group, or in a large group? Why?
A lot depends on what I am doing. I do my exercises, walking in place during commercials, exercising to videos or DVDs, and stationary bike alone. I enjoy taking my walks with hubby. He loves to walk, too. If I could find classes around here, i would like to be in a small group. That would be enough to have fun, but few enough the teacher can see everyone's form and be able to help without taking away from the rest of the group.
27. Have you ever hired anyone to help you with your journey? A personal trainer. A dietician/nutritionist? A wellness coach? A life coach? What worked and didn't work?
This is difficult to answer. I personally have not hired anyone to help, but my oncologist has twice for different problems I've had. Since i am now on Medicare + secondary insurance, I was only allotted so many treatments at home for my PT and OT. The nurses were really helpful and the therapists were great!! We were trying to build my strength after I had been so ill for four months. I could barely walk again and feel all the time even using my walker (Pinkie). I was in my chair(Maxine) again all the time. By the time I was finished, I was using the walker and cane. I still had some problems with my occupational therapy exercises because of my left arm where the lymph nodes were taken still bothered me.
I am having the second nurse in to help me now. I'm not sure how long she'll be coming. She checks my vitals and weight. She is considered as giving me a health evaluation each time she comes. i must keep track of what I eat with her, too!! She is very happy with my weight. When I explained how I changed my goal from 120 to 125, she felt I was being very realistic. She is the one I showed Spark to. She really likes the site because of the wellness aspect with no false claims of how much you can lose within a short period of time. When she has scanned over several weeks of my food input, she said it was very good and how she cooks for her family!!
Judging both of these instances and what all I have been learning, I feel I have received great care.
Today I had the follow up with my radiation oncologist. The PET scan showed once more that the cancer is totally gone from my body! And i don't have to see him again until March!! Plus I weighed in at 122!! He was happy to see I had gained 5 pounds since there last. I'm most happy with the outcome.
Tomorrow I have to have blood work and Monday I see my chemo oncologist.
That's it for now. IT has been an extremely long day for me.
Peace, love, and friendship for all my Spark Buds. I love you all.
Today I'll give you two angels.
(I didn't see a copywrite on this one or any of the ones I have posted. If the owner would like it removed, let me know and I'll take it down immediately!0
This is really a "faerie", but I like it. It was made for me by a scrapbooking friend about 5 years ago.
Get An Email Alert Each Time EVWINGS Posts