Tuesday, September 25, 2012
25. Is there any form of fitness/exercise that you tried and gave up? Is there any form of fitness/exercise that you would like to try?
Since i first injured my knee on the elliptical, I gave it up and don't want to go back to it - ever!! I tried pushups, but they need to wait awhile before I try them again.
There are a number of things I would love to try. Here is my list:
3. Tai Chi
5. Qi Gong
7. Tae Quan Do
8. Get back to the gym to use the tread mill
9. Trade up our stationary bike to one with the program to take walks and see the scenery.
If I could even try one of those and get accomplished with it, I'd be very happy!
Enjoy the rest of the day, my friends. i love each and every one of you. You are all angels in my life.
Here is another angel for each of you from me.
Monday, September 24, 2012
24. When did you incorporate fitness goals into your healthy lifestyle? (Before starting to lose weight, during weight loss, after goal weight, etc.)
I incorporated the fitness goals after I had been active on Spark for about two weeks. As soon as I found the Chair team, and discovered i was ABLE to do more exercising even though i was in the power chair nearly 24/7, I started doing them regularly. When I found i didn't have to remain in the chair quite so much but could get around with the walker on a lot of occasions, I started to use the exercise tracker and added those I could outright do and others that i could change up to my physical limitations. About three weeks after my surgery, but just before my treatments. I made sure I could get at least some cardio in each day even if it was for 5 minutes. So that's what i did, though i had to be really careful with my left arm where the lymph nodes were taken. I had to make sure nothing hurt there, as I couldn't afford to get even a bruise and it could easily become infected, which would be difficult to treat. After I was finished with treatments, before the next diagnosis ended up being six weeks, but in that time I was able to fill out the plan I would like on the tracker form and it shows me daily what i should be doing. This is what I have followed whenever physically possibly ever since then plus adding the videos and DVD, exercises i received from physical and occupational therapies, and walks. Since the first of this year, I have been able to follow that 99% of the time. I reached goal in July this year.
Another short blog. i hope y'all won't care too much.
Thank you everyone for your support!! i love all of y'all.
An angel for Angel Week
Sunday, September 23, 2012
23. What are your current fitness goals?
My current fitness goals are to try to do daily what I have been doing each day since I was so ill. I watch new videos everyday and often add those to my list on my exercise tracker. That way I get to do different ones when I exercise.
That keeps it fresh and I love mixing it up and having choices. i feel more in control being able to do that.
Since this is another short one, I'll answer some more questions that have been left in the comments from other blogs.
1. Missdaisy23: Our mall is over 30 miles away or I would do that. Also, our gym has been closed for awhile after lightening struck it, I used to love to do the treadmill. I didn't think I would and it really surprised when I did that much. I wish we had known what the new owner had planned to do before he did it! He also removed a Ponderosa Lemon tree! One of those would be enough to make several pies or lots of lemonade!!
2. Skinicook: Try starting at your current routine, the in a week or two add 5 minutes and continue adding 5 more ever week or two. Soon you'll be up to the goal you wish!!
3. CJJaniss: Yes, it was a sad day each time he removed a tree!! Have you smelled lemon blossoms? They have a nice smell to me, too. But nothing beats the gardenia. We have the room and have gotten other trees. He did give us some bamboo, though. It has grown like crazy and is making a nature fence for us.
4: lolamom2: Thank you for the comment on my looks. I wish I could feel just a little bit better, but I'm working on that, too. It's too bad I have two areas that don't seem to want to cooperate with toning. Those are my tummy and upper arms. I can understand the tummy because all the muscles were cut when I had my hysterectomy. I call my upper arms my bat wings. No matter what I do they have loose skin that hangs!
5. Cheri: Thank you cheri for your comments. And welcome home!! The thing that really ticked me off was he ended up renting the place and moving to another!! He didn't need to cut them after all!! Have you ever seen a gardenia tree? This was the first one for me.
6. 0309cookie: Seems we have more in common that our chis. I wanted them in my wedding bouquet, too, but I was told since they weren't in season, and the cost would be really high. I should have stood my ground and insisted. If they had to make silk ones,they could have sprayed them with the gardenia smell, don't you think. Guess that is what happens when you're too young to be getting married in the first place!!
7. Karidian1: Yellow rose are in my top three favorites. I really love sunflowers, too. I see and receive a lot of yellow roses since that is the symbol of my sorority and we have them at ever occasion.
8. Hiketoheights: Oh, I know about those things. There is no way I would ever attempt bungee jumping! No way, no how!! I plan to add new ones from Coach Nichole, so i can have the videos from here to follow.
9. Lostlime: We can do it!! Start slowly and add the five minutes every week or two. If you remember I was in my power chair when I started out. After about 2 months of chair exercises, I was able to use my walker. Then I was able to get out of using that and using my cane. Most of the ones i do now are on the floor or in a chair except for walking. It has taken me two years to get to where i am now.
Thank you everyone for being so supportive of me. I love all my Spark Buds!
Peace, love, and blessing to everyone.
Saturday, September 22, 2012
22. What is your current workout/fitness routine?
Currently I have several things I do. Just about daily (depends on the weather) I walk. If the weather is bad, I'll do some walking in place and around the house as I did with my PT therapy. I also follow either some of Coach Jen's videos or some DVD's that I have. I also do some exercises from her on SparkPeople, then i stretch after my workouts. Most of the exercises I have chosen to do are done on either the floor or on a chair. There are a few I do standing: The side bend with a towel and the side bend with weights. I have been following this for a long while. i change things up by walking different ways so the scenery isn't always the same. I also change the videos and DVD's up for changes. I haven't done any running yet. When I first started, my minutes for walking they were at 5 minutes at a time. i would add to that each week or maybe two, until now i am doing 45 minutes to an hour. My last half hour is for the videos, DVD's, and exercises. When i was having my radiation, I still tried to do 10 minutes of cardio a day. When I came back after being so ill, I started from the beginning, only it was easier for me to increase the time. I do not do strength daily nor cardio. i followed the exercise plan from the Sparkpeople suggestions at my exercise tracker.
That's what i do. So far I enjoy doing it, but someday I'd like to add some other things.
Hope everyone is having a terrific day.
Peace, Love, and Happiness to all my Spark Buds.
Here is my last flower for everyone as Flower Week ends.
This is my very favorite flower - gardenia. The picture shows the blossoms floating in a dish and that is how I used to do mine. I'd keep the bowl in my bedroom and it would be sweet smelling all through the house. When the lady that would give me some every season moved, the new owners cut the tree down. I was so darn sad. I had only seen them on bushes until I saw their tree. He wanted the extra space for parking his golf cart.
Friday, September 21, 2012
21. Did you or do you have any disordered eating habits - binging, purging, excessive calorie restriction or excessive exercise? How did develop (or how are you developing) a healthier relationship with food?
No, I have never had an eating disorder.
There have been a lot of questions asked on the comments left. Since the question and answer were so short today, I thought this would be a good time to answer them.
1. About our blooming aloe - Bob says it is a long time between them. He said it is usually every four or five years before getting the blossom.
2. Coachpenny - That Vlita sounds very good. I also like the stuffed grape leaves. The landlady at my very first apartment (I was 19) is Greek and she taught me a lot of Greek cooking. The first time I made baklava on my own, I over cooked the sauce and it harden so much, no one could eat it! But i love spinacopida and musakki. Not sure of those spellings, but I'm sure you know what i mean. She also taught me a terrific lemon soup. She used lemon so much that I have always done so, too, in many dishes.
3. Jamer123 - I have never heard of anyone else allergic to peppers either. I guess we are few and far between. As far as meds limiting some things, I can't do flax.
4. Grammap1 - I used to be in ruts, too, in only eating certain veggies and fruit. i'm so glad I have added so many new ones to my lists.
5. Jinlynn - You are correct when you say variety helps freeing one from boredom. Since there are only two of us and how things are packaged, we often have the same for a few days before changing.
6. 1stateofdenial - I knew that about corn and mushrooms. I just forgot when i was making my lists, I have tried other fruits and veggies. Some i like, others not so much, and a few I just don't care for at all. Actually cukes are on my list. I do not care at all for egg plant and zucchini. Actually I don't care for most squash. I do like zucchini in bread. I like all kinds of tomatoes. I like the larger kinds than the little ones. I don't know why! I like coconuts, starfruit, kiwi, and cherries are like the zucchini. I like them in things, but not so much by themselves.
7. Missdaisy23 - As far as tofu goes, i don't like the consistency of it. I'm trying to think how we used it last. All I can remember is slicing it and adding it in place of mashed potatoes along with cauliflower. I don't eat a lot of kale.
8. Madames - I'm beginning to wonder the same thing about tofu. I don't know if Bob would use it again or not.
9. Karidian1 - I know what you mean about getting into a rut with the same ones. It can be boring after awhile. I have added so many that I like since there are so many other foods I can't eat. Also, i wanted to comment on you and Jim watching portion sizes and logging everything. That is the best way to go. i have logged everything from day one. Portion size took me a little longer to learn so that I can do it on my own now.
It can be strange around this house. Bob can't stand even the smell of onions and I have my allergy to peppers, so it can be difficult to make a lot of things. We tend to add garlic and mushrooms in their places. When we go out, most places add onion and/or peppers to a lot of things they make so it can be difficult to find something that works. We used to go out a lot, but not so much since there is so much I can't eat.
Here is wishing everyone a happy weekend.
Peace, Love, and blessing for all my Buds!
Another flower for everyone.
The yellow rose is the symbol of my sorority. Our wedding was made up of all sorority sisters and their husbands, the justice of the peace, and my brother. This arrangement was sent by the president of my on-line chapter.
Get An Email Alert Each Time EVWINGS Posts