Friday, August 13, 2010
Today's recap: Gym at 5:30, did spinning for 25 minutes, and during my sprint around the track I felt a twinge in my quadriceps, which SUCKS. I slowed down, and went home. No way was I going to be doing lunges, squats after that. I took some Motrin, applied Icy Hot, and took it easy the rest of the day. I did walk and mow the lawn, but the lawn is pretty small.
This morning at 9:00, we went to the mortgage officer of our bank, and we refinanced our mortgage. Our interest rate was 6.25% and is now 3.87% Yay! We switched from a 30-year mortgage to a 15-year mortgage and our payment is only going up slightly, which is awesome.
But, that appointment took 2-1/2 hours and I had to really work hard the rest of the day. I didn't do a great job of planning my meals and snacks ahead of time, so I didn't have the most well-balanced meals...but here is what I did have:
Breakfast - Before workout, banana. After workout, grapes (4 points).
Snack - Watermelon (2 points).
Lunch - Couscous/veggies (3 points).
Snack - Veggies/Ranch dressing (3 points).
Dinner - Pasta with marinara sauce and fat-free cottage cheese (7 points).
Treat - Small cone from DQ (5 points).
Nighttime snack - 2 granola bars (4 points).
Total of 28 points being 5 over but I swapped out 5 activity points.
1. Did I avoid the scale today? I actually stepped on the scale at the gym after having a banana and a bunch of water, which was pretty silly since I knew the weight wasn't accurate. I actually laughed at myself after...but felt stupid, too.
2. How did I do with my food today? I don't think I did horribly, but I need to look at my fiber intake.
3. Water/fluids? I did adequate with this, but could have used another cup or two of water.
4. Activity? I did the spin class for 25 minutes, walked my dog for 1 mile two times, and then mowed the lawn.
5. Sleep last night? I had a bit less sleep last night, but it wasn't so bad :o}
Goals for tomorrow:
1. Do NOT step on that scale. SERIOUSLY!
2. Go to the Farmer's Market with my daughter and mom.
3. Run for 6-7 miles, or less if my leg is hurting.
4. Do good when I go out to supper with my father-in-law and grandma. I am also going out dancing with our friends again, and it would be nice if I actually got pictures this time!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Recap of my day: Woke up to run at 5 a.m. It was pouring. Went back to bed. Slept until 7. Work at 8, got an email stating I made a bad mistake on a report. Felt like s%^t, but kept my emotions in check and swore I wouldn't make that mistake again. Got an email an hour later that was group wide stating that a lot of us made that mistake. Felt better. At 9:45 - Virus hits my computer. Frick. Brought the computer to IS tech, he said to come back in an hour. I went home, changed, went to the gym stressed out, and ran and ran and ran on the treadmill...until the pretty perky blonde next to me FINALLY finished her effortless-looking run. I stopped and looked at my workout summary: 6.24 miles in 65 minutes. Very happy. Got computer back, worked. Went to Fargo (1+ hour drive) with my daughter, sister, and her best friend. Did the Stroll for Epilepsy, which was very awesome (2 miles), and had a fantastic time. Drove home on the interstate through torrential rains and ended up hydroplaning a few times, which scared me to death. White knuckled driving at its best!
An update on my August goals:
~ Focus so much more on my choices for food. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!!! - I am doing SO much better now with this and I can feel a difference.
~ Continue drinking at least 8 glasses of water, more on days I run. - Definitely doing this :o}
~ Try a new recipe every week to shake it up! This week was couscous (more a new food than a recipe but hey, that should count).
~ Get back on track with my Half Marathon training, though modifying it to reflect 3-4 days of running per week rather than 4-5. I would like to achieve 60 miles of running this month! - I am definitely on track for this, and excited by my progress!
~ Do the spinning class 2-4 days a week depending on the run schedule. - This last week I went 4 times, last week 4 times.
~ ST 3 days a week, either via Cycle and Sculpt (Mondays and Wednesdays) or through Nautilus equipment. - I have been doing Mondays and Wednesdays, and also Fridays (Pump-It class).
~ Work in some form of core strengthening/abs work 3-4 days a week. - I have done this 2 times last week and 2 times this week. I tend to go, then have such trouble doing what they want me to do, and giving up for next time. I need to remember the more I do it, the better I will get.
~ Take 1-2 FULL days off from working out so as to avoid overtraining/injuries. - Doing this! Usually 1 day off a week.
~ Lose 5-10 pounds!! Obviously I cannot comment on this and I would really have to pull out great losses in the next 2 weeks. We'll see what happens with my change-up!
~ Run a 10K on August 17 and walk the 2-mile Stroll for Epilepsy with my daughter, my friend, and her son with epilepsy in Fargo on August 12. - I completed the Stroll for Epilepsy, and the 10K is this Tuesday. I am so excited, but nervous!
~ Pay off 1 or 2 credit cards. - Mine is almost paid off and will likely be paid off by the end of this month.
~ Put in 5-10 overtime hours a week while offered if you feel able to achieve this. - I put in 5 last week, but only an hour so far this week.
~ Work on incentive pay (extra pay when productivity is higher than expected). My focus was not great last week, but I believe I am accomplishing this now.
~ Be motivated by the fact that you will be going to Miami, FL with another couple in February, and you want to be SMOKING hot in a monokini by then!!! Oh yeah, I am still feeling this.
~ Try on a size 8 :o}. I will try this on August 30-31, but I dunno if this will happen. We'll see!
~ Buy a cute pair of undies (thong?) every week. - I gotta get on top of this!
~ New handbag when you get under 170? Has not happened yet.
~ Buy that book. Looking at this.
~ Realize that I am human, and try hard to reach and exceed your goals, but do NOT be discouraged when you falter...After all, you do work full time, you have an almost 13-month-old daughter, and have many responsibilities outside of this. :o} I sure am doing this.
Now, for my accountability list:
1. Did I avoid the scale today? Yup, though my husband brought it out to weigh himself (180.6, the jerk). I still didn't weight myself.
2. How did I do with my food today? I did pretty good, though I ended up eating less points than what I planned. I ended up having supper after we got back from Fargo (9:00 p.m.) and missed 2 snacks. But, that was lack of planning...I have to say, though, that I didn't get too hungry at any point.
3. Water/fluids? I drank a lot of water, 1 glass of milk, 2 cans of Coke Zero (need to watch this).
4. Activity? I ran for 6.24 miles, walked my dog for 1 mile, and then did the stroll for 2 miles.
5. Sleep last night? I got a lot of sleep. I went to bed at 8:30, then woke up at 7 a.m. :o}
Goals for tomorrow:
1. Do NOT step on that scale :o}
2. Work for 8 hours and FOCUS on your job during that time.
3. Do the Sun-Up class (Spinning for 20 minutes, run around the track once, then Pump-It weightlifting class for 20 minutes).
4. Do not let the appointment with the mortgage officer for refinancing the mortgage stress you out.
It is getting late, so I will post the food plan tomorrow morning. For breakfast, I will be having a banana before the gym, and a soft-boiled egg with watermelon afterwards.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
I am hoping to continue putting aside 10 minutes each night to recap my day and how I did with my goals for accountability. The same items will be included in each blog, plus anything else I may want to talk about!!
1. Did I avoid the scale today? Yes, I did. It is hidden in the garage :o}
2. How did I do with my food today? AWESOME! I preplanned my meals, wrote them down, then checked them off when I ate them. Today, I tried a new food (couscous) made with chicken broth and frozen mixed veggies added. I added in 1 tablespoon of olive oil (to get my fat intake in) and it was DELICIOUS! I had a lot left over, so will be planning on having it as my lunch for tomorrow and a side to my dinner the next day :o} I am very happy with how I did with my food today, and I wasn't hungry at all!
3. Water/fluids? I did a lot better than I usually do. I got in three 16.9-oz bottles of water plus 2 cups of skim milk and 1 can of Coke Zero (my treat that I just can't give up yet).
4. Activity? I did my spin class today for 45 minutes, and that was it other than walking my dog on my breaks for 1 mile each. I am staying true to my word about backing off my running on crosstraining days!
5. Sleep last night? I got to bed late (11 p.m.) and got up at 5:30 a.m., so I messed up a bit there. But, I had taken a 3-hour "nap" earlier in the day as it was my half day of work and I was tired. Learned a lesson there! I am planning on going to bed in about 8 minutes (8 p.m.) and getting up at 5 a.m. to run.
Goals for tomorrow:
1. Do NOT step on that scale :o}
2. Work for 4 hours (8-12) and FOCUS on your job during that time. Do NOT waste your productivity on going to internet sites...(I am just realizing I am talking to myself in the third person!).
3. Run for 5 miles in the morning, and try to get to the gym around 6:30 to do the abs class.
4. Stroll For Epilepsy (2 miles) is tomorrow! Plan on eating before you go and stay hydrated, bring lots of water, and stay away from treats/snacks/refreshments served there.
5. Eat the following foods tomorrow:
a) Breakfast: Before run, 1 banana. After run, plain oatmeal with brown sugar/Splenda mixture and cinnamon along with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of watermelon (trying to get the watermelon eaten...very ripe!). = 7 points total
b) Snack: Popcorn, 94% fat free! = 1 point
c) Lunch: Couscous and veggie mix (1-1/2 cups). = 4 points
d) Dinner (to be eaten before leaving town at 4:30): 4-oz top sirloin steak with sauteed mushrooms, green peppers, and onions with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. = 8 points
e) Snack (after we get back): Milk (1 cup), grapes (1 cup) = 3 points
Total of 23 points with no points left over.
Again, today went really well. I ate the food I had planned for only when I felt hunger start to hit. I didn't let myself get too full, and I didn't let myself get too hungry. I can't believe it has taken this long, but I finally may have found the balance I have always needed!! I just hope I continue on doing what I am doing, and pick myself up again right away if I fall down a bit :o}
Cripes, it's 8:01! Well, headed to bed. Love you all!
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Wow, I can't believe I put a smiley face after that title! But, I have such a happier and healthier attitude about it, not only after the support and help you all provided, but especially after talking with my WW leader. While I was weighing in today, she asked how my week was. I talked about my frustration with food and training, and she said that she wasn't surprised at my weight gain, especially with the training. Turns out, she ran a half marathon 2 years ago and trained for it, and in the process gained weight!
She said her best advice to me is to eat smaller meals (more like snacks) throughout the day (planned and portioned of course), and to make sure that everything I eat is a "filling food," which basically is the old Core Plan for WW. If you only eat those foods, you generally feel fuller, eat less, less fat in the diet, etc.
So, I went grocery shopping after dinner tonight (I had hotdish and a few chips with salsa....my "cheat" day even though well below my calorie and point level). Here is what I bought (keep in mind these are ALL filling foods):
Veggies: Tomatoes (4), a bunch of asparagus, 3 pounds of yellow onions, 1/2 pound of fresh mushrooms, 1 green pepper, 1 cucumber, 2 corn on the cob.
Fruits: 6 bananas, 1 whole watermelon, 1 cantaloupe, 1 pound of red grapes, 3 braeburn apples.
Whole grain buns (the 100-calorie kind that are super thin).
Pastas/popcorn: Couscous (new for me, but think I'll try it), Smart Pasta with elbow macaroni and rotini, 94% fat-free popcorn. I also have spaghetti sauce that is lower in calories, but may use less than the 1 serving since it is not a filling food.
Dairy: Eggs (large), fat-free yogurt (3), fat-free cottage cheese, skim milk, fat-free sour cream.
Meats: 95% fat-free hamburger (most likely not using, though), 4-oz top sirloin steaks (4), skinless boneless chicken.
I plan on getting 99% fat-free ground turkey and red potatoes, sweet potatoes this weekend at the farmer's market.
Now, the trick will be how to put it together to form a well-balanced day of nutrition!
So far, I have this for tomorrow:
Pre-workout snack: Banana (2 points)
After workout snack: Egg, watermelon, and 1 cup skim milk (5 points)
Mid-morning snack: Yogurt and grapes (3 points)
Lunch: Couscous with frozen carrots and peas boiled in chicken broth (4 points)
Snack: Apple (2 points)
Supper: Chicken (3 ounces), corn on the cob, a dash of salt (for taste on the corn), and 1 glass of skim milk (7 points)
23 points used
P.S. My scale is now hidden and will not be taken out ONCE this week. I will only weigh in at Weight Watchers next Tuesday. It is time to be in control, and not have the scale controlling me!
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Stolen from MADAMCHE who stole it from WATCHMEGO2 who stole it from JAKESTERSMOM, who stole it from someone else.... (smiles)
1. What time did you get up this morning?
2. How do you like your steak?
Rare. And I can feel the gross-out I just caused everyone who is reading this :o}
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema?
Eclipse. I love Twilight :o}
4. What is your favorite TV show?
I love the DVR because I only set aside 1/2 to 1 hour a day maximum for watching TV, so I can pick and choose. One favorite I have right now is Make It or Break It. LOST, 24, True Blood, so many...
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
I really, really loved MADAMCHE's answer. Can I steal that? No? Okay, then I would choose Hawaii, though I couldn't afford living there IRL.
6. What did you have for breakfast?
I had a banana for breakfast this morning. Weigh-in day.
7. What is your favorite cuisine?
Oh boy. I agree that everything is mine, and that is one of my downfalls! If I had to choose a favorite I would say Italian. I love pastas, especially if seafood (namely Shrimp) is involved.
8. What foods do you dislike?
Brussel sprouts? Cold veggies without dip or being steamed.
9. Favorite Place to Eat?
Red Lobster or Olive Garden.
10. Favorite dressing?
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive?
2007 Chevy Equinox (black). It is my baby; I got to finally pick it out as I liked it and they had to "find" it for me. Still love it, though I am no longer liking the payments ;o}
12. What are your favorite clothes?
This summer I am absolutely LOVING tank tops from Old Navy and Gap. I got a ton of them at garage sales because I have never owned tank tops before. I am not kidding. I finally feel confident enough to wear them!
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance?
Europe...Ireland, Australia. Any and all islands with beaches.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full?
50/50. I have happy happy days where I am full of optimism, but there are days (especially lately) where I am very pessimistic. I do have mild bouts of depression that interfere with me sometimes, and I have to recognize that for what it is.
15. Where would you want to retire?
I agree that I will probably never retire (eventually I will be a pharmacist), but I would like to relocate to Florida in my 50s. Daytona Beach is a favorite place to go for me.
16. Favorite time of day?
Morning, when I am working out, and then after when my baby wakes up and is so happy to see me.
17. Where were you born?
Grand Forks, ND. Where I live now....
18. What is your favorite sport to watch?
I love watching NFL football (GO VIKINGS!!!), but nothing else really. I used to like baseball (TWINS!) and basketball (Indiana Pacers), but now just a football junkie :o}
19. How many siblings?
Younger brother (26) and younger sister (25) who are living with my parents across the river in East Grand Forks, MN.
20. Favorite pastime/hobby?
Reading Nora Roberts/JD Robb books and really any book with suspense in it. I don't have much time anymore for it, though.
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this?
I am curious about everyone! I am actually thinking right now that I am pretty flipping boring.... :o}
22. Bird watcher?
When I am out walking or running, I tend to notice birds, especially if they are ones I haven't seen in a long time, or ever. Very pretty!
23. Are you a morning person or a night person?
Um. I was a night person before having my baby. I am now an uber-early morning person due to the fact that I have to be in order to get any running/exercise in.
24. Do you have any pets?
We have a dog, a mutt, that we picked up from the Humane Society 3-1/2 years ago. Her name is Jenny, and here is a picture of her:
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share?
I am running a half marathon 2 months from now! Oh wait...you said NEW news. Nope, I don't have a thing. Well, I will be going to Miami in February and I may not have mentioned that yet!!! Yep, I did...
26. What did you want to be when you were little?
A nurse, like my mom. Then she started telling us what she did, and that quickly changed. ....HOLY COW, MADAMCHE. This is my exact response, too! Then I wanted to be a doctor, then an accountant, and now I want to be a pharmacist. And that is my final answer.
27. Do you have children?
Yes, we have a 13-month-old daughter named Kaylee. Here is one of my favorite younger pictures of her at 2 months of age:
28. Are you a cat or dog person?
Dog, but I like cats, too, and grew up with a couple.
29. Are you married?
Yes, I have been married for going on 8 years. We have been together 10 going on 11 years.
30. Always wear your seat belt?
31. Been in a car accident?
Not in anything but a couple of rear-endings that were VERY minor.
32. Any pet peeves?
"I am really sensitive to sounds. I have to sleep with ear plugs. Honestly before them it used to take me hours to fall asleep. But the sensitive to sounds things would include repetitive noises coming from someone else. Like really loud headphones, loud gum chewing, grinding of teeth, those kinds of things. I also really dislike people without manners and common courtesy. Makes me crazy when someone drops trash on the ground or doesn't hold a door for someone with a stroller or doesn't get up for an elderly person on the train." ~ MADAMCHE
I had to put these in quotes and steal them, because I agree with it 100%!!!
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings?
Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. Pizza is my....ultimate. There is a reason I have not had a slice in about 8 months. I can't stop! I love EVERY topping, but my absolute favorite is supreme or just plain mushroom!
34. Favorite Flower?
Lilies of any kind.
35. Favorite ice cream?
Hard to answer this. Can I just say anything Ben & Jerry's?
36. Favorite fast food restaurant?
McDonald's, which sounds just gross. I haven't been there in a while, though.
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test?
I didn't, though I did take my test in a blizzard! You have to admit that is impressive.
38. From whom did you get your last email?
From the quality control transcriptionist in my department. So exciting, right???
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card?
I wouldn't. I abhor credit cards.
40. Do anything spontaneous lately?
Nope....and I will...on Thursday.
41. Like your job?
Yes, but it is a dying breed and so I am going back to college soon to be a pharmacist. Soon is, like...2 years. And I have to go for...6 years. Oh, crap.
Love it,...as long as it is not raw and without dip.
43. What was your favorite vacation?
I am so jealous of MADAMCHE's response...My favorite was a couple of years ago we went to the Mall of America in Minneapolis, then flew down to Orlando, stayed in Daytona Beach, and went to Disney World. It would have been SO MUCH BETTER, though, had I been in shape and 80 pounds less. Hence why I am really looking forward to Miami.
44. Last person you went out to dinner with?
Myself. Other than that? My husband, Corey, and our friends, Justin and Melissa at Denny's.
45. What are you listening to right now?
My husband clipping his toenails in the bathroom. Ew.
46. What is your favorite color?
Red, black, pink, and blue. Oh, I couldn't pick just one :o}
47. How many tattoos do you have?
None, though I came close a few times to getting one.
48. How many people will fill this out?
I dunno, but it is fun...and time consuming!
49. What time did you finish this quiz?
50. Coffee Drinker?
Blech. Though I wish I did drink black coffee (no calories)!!
Well, that was...interesting. Thanks for reading!
Get An Email Alert Each Time ERINBEAR1876 Posts