Wednesday, January 23, 2013
So, I know that this is a bit of a delayed post but I did not want to rush it. I wanted to get my thoughts together and making some meaningful resolutions/goals for the 2013. So here we go.....
1. Goal weight by the end of the year of 145
I am currently at 174 after the holidays. This is an ambitious (especially after last year) but possible goal (loss of less than a pound a week) but it is something I can strive for and it will bring me much closer to my goal weight. Even if I do not quite get to 145, I hope to make a decent dent in it this year.
2. Work out 5 Days a Week but don't beat myself up if it does not happen
Okay, so there is a bit of a back story to this. I currently have some issues with my thigh (muscle, IT band, not quite sure). I have talked to the doctor about it and she gave me some direction and told me to call her in a month if it is not better. Therefore, I can currently not run (that is what bothers the most) and have to watch it when I work out. I have also been icing and heating it as much as possible. Anyway, I have had to modify my working out which is frustrating, but necessary. I want to get better and get back into my normal routine (long term goal). For now, I have to be patient and do what I can do while not beating myself up about it.
3. Learn to be a mindful eater
If you have been reading my blog you know that last month I stopped counting calories. I had been counting for about 2 yrs and had gotten a good idea of what I should be eating to stay with in my range. Problem was, I was obsessing over calories leading to binging and other problems. I was hard to do but I think it was the best decision for me, for now at least. So I going to keep that up and just be more mindful of what I am eating. I will not lose as fast (slow = sustainable) but honestly, I was gaining weight by binging. I will probably not be fully there by the end of the year, I am just looking for progress
4. Declutter my apartment
This is something I have been meaning to do for years, I need to get rid of the things I do not use.
5. Read more
I do not take time to read as much as I should/want. SMART goal is 12 books this year.
6. Take a breath
There are times, too frequently, that I get wound up and anxious. I want to get more of a handle on that.
I will start me monthly blog of goals for the month to help me along next month. I know that some of the goals are not S.M.A.R.T. as there are not real measuable qualities but I still wanted to include them. I am sure there is something I am forgetting but these are the goals for this year. Good luck everyone with your own goals and here is to 2013!
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
I would like to start off by thanking my sparkfriends! Your response has been overwhelming to my last few blog posts and requests for support! It is great to know you are there.
So, I have decided, at least for a while, to nix the calorie counting. I know that is a no-no in the weight loss world, but I am on a journey to a healthier life and currently, I think it is doing more harm than good FOR ME! I do believe it is important and I have been doing it for years, but honestly, right now, I think it is playing mind games with me. I am obsessing so much about staying in my calorie range that I stress eat and end up binging because I am out of the range and angry at myself, which is not good.
So, for a while now, I am going to focus on eating mindfully (still measuring portions and try to pay attention to hunger cues), drink water, and try to focus of nutritous foods, while taking part is treats (actually enjoying them rather than gorging on them like I have as of late). I am also going to reward myself at night with a "treat for my christmas tin" when I do have good day (things like a small present for myself, relax watching a christmas movie, etc. Hopefully this will get me on a better track mentally. I will also keep up on the exercise, which does not tend to me an issue for me.
Thanks again for all your support! Wish me luck!
Thursday, December 06, 2012
I normally try to write positive blogs entries but as of late (a few months especially) I have been having a lot of trouble. I have been hovering the 160's (which I know is not too bad, still overweight, but much lower than my over 200 high). I have been maintain this number but it has been difficult and I am REALLY struggling. I really enjoy exercise and I am keeping that up no problem. I have not been running as much with the cold temps and short days in full swing, but I have been substituting other forms of exercise. The real problem I have been having is food.
I know that this is a common problem for many of you and I am not alone but it is really disheartening. I cannot stop eating, even when I know I am not hungry. It is not a matter of making healthy food for me as I love fruits and veggis and cooking for myself. Its the cookies sitting right outside my office that I cannot resist. It is the food at my house (bars, veggis, fruit, whatever is around) that I continue to gorge on. It is the not being able to stop when I know I have had enough.
I have tried so many things. I try to keep things in smaller amounts around my house and do not bring goodies in (I only eat them out). I try to get enough sleep. I try to manage my stress. I tried to keep a calendar on the fridge to motivate me showing my successful days of not binging. I try to eat filling foods in good portions spaced evenly thoughout the day. The list goes on.
I am just frustrated. I feel like I have no will power. I am afraid of gaining the weight I have lost. I still have a way to go to my healthy weight but honestly, at this point, I am afraid I will not be able to sustain the weight I have lost even though I have made some great lifestyle changes.
I am proud of the progress I have made and I am trying to look at that. I have so much to be thankful for, including amazing support from my friends (spark and non-spark) and family which I know is not the case for everyone. Thanks for listening to my venting session and good luck to all you in the same boat as me and who are making this journey with me with their own obstacles. Most of all THANK YOU for your continued support!
Wednesday, December 05, 2012
Time to look back at the goals set in November (a few days late but I wanted to wait until my wednesday weigh-in). In an attempt to kick start some more progresss I decided at the beginning of this fall to start monthly goals and blog about them. I set them at the beginning of the month and reevaluate at the end. Hopefully this will keep me more accountable and really, just give me some focus and motivation. I will set a weight goal for the month as well as three other goals.
I did not meet my weight goal of 160. I am actually heading the wrong direction, up, still. I started at 166.4 and am up to 167.4. At least it is pretty steady, I just need to get it heading back in the right direction. Also, I only gained 1 pound over Thanksgiving and a vacation so I am trying not to be too hard on myself. I am going to focus on my goals and head for 165 this month with the holidays and all. I am try to not be too hard on myself because that only hurts my efforts.
Here is a reflection on by November goals:
1. STOP BINGE EATING, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT: This is still a MAJOR issue for me, with a really bad streak mid-month. I am doing better now, so maybe I turned a corner. I am not great but better with this one. The calendar helped me see trends, which is helpful. I know this is because of outside sources so I think I am going to focus more on them this month to try to keep heading in a good direction
2. CURB WEEKEND/HOLDIAY EATING: I think I did OK with the moderation. Still definitely need to work on this one. It really hits me when I am tired (I did well on Thanksgiving and not so well the day after, when I was tired).
3. LEARN MY HUNGER CUES: Lets just say I am in the middle of a learning process. I am learning to recognize them...listening to them is another issue all together....
I know it may look like I did not do amazing last month but I really do think I am making strides. This is a journey I am trying not to rush, but rather sustain.
Current Weight: 167.4
Goal Weight: 165.0 (trying to be realistic as it is the holiday season)
1. GET 7 HOURS OF SLEEP: I have been doing well with this as of late but with the holidays I feel like this may be a bit harder and it reeks havic on my eating.
2. MODERATION...AND BE OK WITH IT: This is the holiday season and I want to enjoy it, in moderation. I tend to be hard on myself about it, which just adds to the problem.
3. TAKE TIME TO MYSELF:The holiday season gets hectic (already becoming jam packed), and I need to remember that rest and relaxation is key. I need to take care of myself so I can give to others.
Well, I think I am heading in the right direction but there is still work to be done. Hopefully these goals, and writing them down, will give me the kick start I need! Good luck to eveyone else with their goals and HAPPY DECEMBER!
Thursday, November 01, 2012
Time to look back at the goals set in October. In an attempt to kick start some more progresss I decided at the beginning of this fall to start monthly goals and blog about them. I set them at the beginning of the month and reevaluate at the end. Hopefully this will keep me more accountable and really, just give me some focus and motivation. I will set a weight goal for the month as well as three other goals.
I did not meet my weight goal of 160. I am actually heading the wrong direction, up. I started at 165.4 and am up to 166.4. At least it is pretty steady, I just need to get it heading back in the right direction. I am going to focus on my goals and head for 160 again. I am try to not be too hard on myself because that only hurts my efforts.
Here is a reflection on by October goals:
1. TRY SPACING MEALS: I am not perfect with this but I have gotten much better, yay!
2. DRINK 8 CUPS OF WATER A DAY, MINIMUM: I am getting better with this. I need to continue to keep this in mind though, its a good one
3. DO NOT EAT AT MY DESK OR IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER OR ON THE SOFA: This could use some improvements.
Current Weight: 166.4
Goal Weight: 160.0 (lets try this again)
1. STOP BINGE EATING, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT: Ok, this is the major reason I am not losing in my opinion. I am going to have a calendar on my fridge that will keep my accountability in sight. Hopefully this will work. I am going to but a dollar in the jar for each day I don't binge and buy myself a non-food christmas gift with the money I build up. Hopefully that will motivate me.
2. CURB WEEKEND/HOLDIAY EATING: So, I have Thanksgiving and a Mini-Vaca this month. I am not going to totally restrict myself (because that is not sustainable) but I just need to keep in mind MODERATION.
3. LEARN MY HUNGER CUES: I am horrible at this, but I am going to try this again. This will hopefully make the change more sustainable in the long run and weekends easier in the short turn.
Well, I think I am heading in the right direction but there is still work to be done. Hopefully these goals, and writing them down, will give me the kick start I need! Good luck to eveyone else with their goals and HAPPY NOVEMBER!
Get An Email Alert Each Time DROSS0616 Posts