25,000-29,999 SparkPoints
DOROTHYTOTOOZ's Recent Blog Entries

Half Marathon Training Day 1

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I decided to be half insane and add on top of all the other things I have going on, a half marathon. Granted, the half marathon isn't until next April, but at the same time, I need to start training now.

Today was the first day of my training. I was going to try for 3 miles, but I only made it 2.5 miles. Not that it's bad, but I was just not motivated. I also got lost and was trying to figure out where I was at. I swear I get lost about every other time I go for a walk in my neighborhood. The streets are not all straight, so I sometimes end up on the other side of where I want to be. Oh well.

My goal is to walk 3-4 times a week, building on mileage, and then after the first of the new year, start focusing on time.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

AGK3112 9/12/2012 9:36AM

    It is good that you did run 2. 5 miles. It is better then nothing or making it very small. I am sure you will do great. emoticon . Good Luck.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Hello School...AKA Surviving the Nursing Program

Thursday, August 23, 2012

I started back up to school this week, and it has been an experience. I am a RN-ADN first year student, and it has been a real eye opener, but I think I am finally getting over my nervousness and becoming confident in my abilities to become a nurse.

It has been a real challenge. The last few years, all the classes I've taken have either been in the afternoon, evening or online. This week, I've had to be in class at 8 am sharp. I'm not a morning person, never have been, and I work nights, so even the nights I'm not working, I am usually up until midnight or 1 am at least. This week, I've been up by 6 am every morning.

It has been a very stressful week. Going to class the first day and thinking, "Can I really do this? Is this where I am supposed to be?" And especially not knowing any of my fellow classmates when the past two semesters, I've taken classes with a really good friend. And the second day, I was more nervous than the first! Plus, my period had started the night before class started, and I kind of had an emotional weekend leading up to class starting partially due to that as well as being the last weekend that I would spend with family for over two months.

One thing that I am proud of is that even though I was stressful, I have done fairly well eating and exercising. I could sleep in an extra 45 minutes, but I have used that time to spend on my exercise bike and strength training. I also try to get in a walk when I get home to help me unwind before I start on my homework. As for eating, the first couple of days, I took a snack mix that was leftover from the previous week for my nephew's middle school orientation. It wasn't the most nutritional, but at least I had a little something to snack on, and out of two sandwich size bags, I still have 1 3/4 bags left! Because I mostly have class in the morning, I wait to eat until I get home, and I haven't been tempted to stop at any fast food joints on the way there and back.

Another eating challenge that I have overcome this week is not buying the higher calorie drinks at the coffee shop on the first floor of the building we have class at. I am bad about coffee drinks, but I have been good at getting my cup of drip coffee or iced coffee and just adding skim milk and sugar to it. Today I did splurge a little because I over slept and forgot to back a lunch, and we had a full day of lab today. I ended up buying a sandwich there, and treating myself to one of their stuffed croissants (Yum!), but I only ate half the sandwich and the croissant, and saved the other half for dinner. Now I just have to keep myself away from the croissants. No, not really. I made it 4 days before caving in, I can just use it as a treat.

And another thing to be proud of was that after the first day of class, I had gone to Target and purchased a bag of miniature Reese's cups and a large bag of Swedish Goldfish for my stress relief. I had also bought some healthy lunch food, but that was what I was so sure I would turn to. Well, I still have half the bag of goldfish, and I haven't even touched the Reese's, so I am doing good.

I just need to keep it up, and be vigilant in maintaining the healthy choices I have made over the summer. I have a teleconference with my work health coach in two weeks, and I hope by then I will be down to 190 lbs. Leading up to school starting, I had been a little lax, especially since the previous three weekends I had either been at my brother's house, or in Iowa visiting friends. I didn't make the best choices, but I at least have maintained my current weight, and I am ready to start losing some more weight. The real challenge will come when I add work into the mix, which starts tomorrow night.


Hello Size 14!

Thursday, August 02, 2012

I know on my last blog I mentioned that I was hoping to retire some shorts before the end of this summer. Well... I am there! Last night when I was using the bathroom I realized that I could pretty much pull the shorts down without unfastening the button.

I had to show it off to my mom because she was getting onto me tonight about needing to lose inches around my hips whike we were working on my school scrubs. I agree with her but it is still great to have clothes falling off.

Another thing that I realizes tonight was that Mom wears a size 14. Hmmm...shorts falling off, her jeans are accessible, let's give them a try. Sure enough, I could fit in them comfortably. The last time I borrowed her jeans they were tight on me. This time, she may end up missing a couple of pairs!

I'm just so happy because it has probably been 2 years at least since I got down to size 14, which was the size I wore in high school and partway through college.

Another goal was that I reached was weighing in at 195 pounds this morning. I can't remember the last time I was at that weight but 6 years ago, when I came home from a semester in France I was at 185 pounds and I had lost 15 pounds that semester. Now I am only 10 pounds away from that goal. That was also my last 2 years of high school, first two years of college weight.

It is just great to be under 200 pounds. For so many years it has seemed like I would get there but not break into the hundreds. Now I am past it and hoping to never go back!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MISSB8604 8/2/2012 11:03PM

    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to join you VERY soon!!!!!!

Here's to us! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
STINASTEW 8/2/2012 10:59PM

    Congrats! What a great achievement! Can't wait until I get there, too! :) Keep it up!

Report Inappropriate Comment
KCWIND 8/2/2012 10:54PM

  WAY TO GO! Am so happy for you. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

It's the Little Things

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

It's the little things that can be exciting in the weight loss journey just as much as the big things.

For me this week, and it may sound a little crazy, but one of my little things was having a pair of boy short panties that actually fit like they were supposed to, and didn't ride up and cause wedgies like they usually do.

My other little thing was that my Bermuda shorts are starting to feel more like capris than shorts. I'll have to retire them soon, and hopefully before the end of the summer!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

GRYFFINDORMOM 7/21/2012 7:48PM

    Wow, that is fantastic. You are so right, sometimes it's the little things that truly help with this journey and lifestyle change. Keep it up!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEYITSJUDED 7/18/2012 8:21PM

    That is awesome!! I love the little things that make you feel like what you are working so hard for is paying off! emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Crying Wolf

Monday, July 16, 2012

I got home this morning from work after a trying night only to find out that my dad went back to the ER last night, but they didn't admit him. What perturbed me the most was that

1) He complained about the Topeka doctors not knowing anything, so therefore he needs to go to Kansas City.


2) The first person he called to take him to the hospital was my sister-in-law, although he was supposedly trying to get a hold of my brother. And he told her that Mom had taken her sleeping pills and he couldn't wake her, when he had just been arguing with her, because she did not want to take him to the hospital, because it was the same old complaints she hears.


3) He thinks he needs to be seen by one of my cousins who is a rheumatologist because he has arthritis, and my mom made the mistake of mentioning that she treats patients with rheumatoid arthritis, which is not the type of arthritis he has, besides the complications of her being a family member.

The thing is that he doesn't know how fortunate he truly is, especially after suffering a stroke this spring, and how much this was brought on by himself and not taking care of himself. He was complaining of pain, but he always complains of pain.

He thinks that he can just go to a "stroke" hospital and get every thing fixes, but he doesn't understand that what he is suffering from is partially residual side affects from the stroke. Also, he has diabetes that have been out of control for close to a decade now, and that the diabetes has caused some damage to his body as well. He suffers from neuropathy, and when he was admitted for the stroke, his A1C1 was 14.6! My co-workers hardly believed me when I told them how high it was, even the ones with 20+ years of experience. Now it is down to 7.3 but still, the damage is done. Plus, it seems like every medicine he is prescribed he finds something about it that makes him allergic or have a reaction to.

I've tried to talk to him, but he doesn't listen to me. The last time I was home, he mentioned going to a stroke hospital, but didn't believe me that a stroke hospital couldn't treat him anymore than what the hospital he was in did. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Ummm, Dad, I work at one of those hospitals on the stroke floor. Plus, the hospital that he went to provided great care, and he had in hospital rehab, which, where I work at, patients would have to go to a skilled nursing/rehab facility.

This time, though, he almost went too far, and with my brothers and myself are to the point of ignoring him, but at the same time, we worry that he is going to cry wolf one too many times, and when something major happens, nobody will react soon enough. Calling my sister-in-law was bad not only because he lied to her about my mom taking her sleeping pills, which I can say that Mom is still one of the lightest sleepers I know with her pills, but my sis-in-law has her own issues. My brother had to be out early for work, and they have three kids, plus her mom lives with her. The last thing she needs is Dad calling her up demanding that she not only takes him to the hospital, but to drive him to Kansas City without talking to anyone else, and in the middle of the night. It is over an hour's drive from their house.

I want my dad to be comfortable, but at the same time I want him to realize that what he wants, and what he can receive in treatment are two different things. Mom said that while in the ER, Dad acted like he was purposely ignoring the doctor. That is not going to get him any help. And if he wants to come to KC, he is in for a little shock, because I am already sending out the message to my brothers that if anyone brings him down, they will be hurt, but also, if he shows up where I work at, I may request that they do a behavioral health eval on him as well, because I think he could use one. It's just frustrating, because he has great care available to him, but once he gets an idea in his head, he won't let it go.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

IGSBETH 7/16/2012 11:02AM

    I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Last Page