Sunday, September 10, 2006
Mistakes I have made over the last 9 months while on my spark plan - while losing 30 lbs.:
1. I needed to be patient. Weight loss does not happen overnight - it too years and years to become obese, what made me think I would be skinny overnight?
2. I started exercising slowly, but then needed to expand my exercise program after one month. I was too slow in realizing how important quality exercise played as an important role in my succes to better health.
3. I did not measure my portions accurately. I was posting food quantities way under my actual consumption - buy a kitchen scale and measure your food! Be accurate in your postings!
4. I allowed myself to eat after 8 PM. There is no reason to eat after 8 PM. You can get through a hunger pain. You can go to bed hungry. After awhile, you body learns that you will not feed it after 8 PM!
5. I let achohol be my downfall. Three glasses of wine and my committment waivers. I still have this problem. It is a difficult puzzel to solve for me. One solution would be to limit my consumption to two glasses of wine. I will win this battle!
6. I became upset and depressed over a scale that did not move. Do not believe the scale, do not believe the tape measure. Our inches and our weight vary greatly over a short period (like a week). Have faith in your program. Stick to it. Over time, you WILL lose weight and become more healthy.
7. I have been tempted many time to just give in and give up. Never, ever give up. Do not let a poor meal, or a day of binging ruin your overall committment to your program. For every step back you take, take two steps forward. We are only human, we make mistakes, but do not let a mistake take you off your path to ultimate success. Most of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up! Never, ever give up!
8. I blamed my poor health on others and "circumstances beyond my control". Be accountable for your actions. Do not blame your faults, or the way you are on someone, or something else. You are what you are because of what YOU did. You are capable of change. You are capable of being a better YOU!
9. I often put off taking my program to the next level. This cost me valuable time in achieving my goals. Behavior modification does not come easy. When faced with a barrier or a plateau, you need to "tune your program up a notch and "DO SOMETHING MORE" to break through the plateau and to get to the next level of of your journey.
10. I waited too long to ask for help. Do not be afraid to ask for help. There are health experts here and fellow sparkies that have already been through what you are going through. They will be of great assistance in giving you options for success.
If your are reading this, I hope that my failures will help you achieve your goals without the trouble that I have been through.
Although, despite my failures, I have throughly enjoyed my journey to better health!
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
You can complain because roses have thorns. Or you can rejoice that thorns have roses.
Positive people tend to have many similar characteristics, such as respecting everyone's contribution to a project and knowing during hard times that things will get better. They have the power to make that change happen, an understanding that their attitudes can directly affect outcomes, and a commitment to increasing positive thoughts and diminishing negative ones. Are you putting effort towards becoming a more positive person?
Avoid complaining when things are turning sour, realize that the negatives and the positives in life will level out, and take responsibility for your life and actions. You are the only person responsible for your attitude-and your life.
Thursday, August 31, 2006
We are very much alike:
I am over 50
I am overweight
My long range goal was to loose 93 lbs
I started at sparks about 8 months ago. I had yo-yo dieted to a loss of 28 lbs before joining. I was having difficulty keeping the weight off. I did not want for this to be (another) diet. I wanted a final, permanent life change. I still had 65 lbs to loose - and my health was failing quickly. So I gave sparks a try. Well, I love it here. I have found my final and permanent program to take me through the home strech of my life. Here are some of my results.
1. I have lost 30 lbs with sparks (58 total) - 35 lbs. more to go.
2. I can walk for long distances at a very fast pace without becomming winded.
3. I have lost 1.5 inches off my neck
4. I have lost 6 inches off my waist
5. I am fully recovered from a hip replacement in December, 2005.
6. I wake up every morning with a smile
7. I have adjusted to more water, more sleep, more exercise, less food.
8. Romance is the best it has ever been with the love of my life, my wife.
9. My blood sugar is very low
10. My chlorestol level is under 200
11. I look forward to my doctor appointments.
12. I am now off ALL medication.
13. Little things like aches and pains, soft finger nails, a toe nail fungus problem, dry skin, mid-day energy loss have all disapeared.
14. I love to play with my grand kids - out doors in the heat!
15. I was recently promoted to head up a new Business Development Department at work.
16. My social life includes time for many more friends - some of my dearest are right here, on line in the community at sparkpeople!
And much more that I do not have the time to add.
Is my spark people program fun? - YOUR BET IT IS!
Do I have to work every day at my program? - VERY MUCH SO
Is my program sustainable? - YES, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE
I wish you much success in your journey to a permanent healthy life. We are most fortunate to have you here in the community. Start with baby steps and small goals and objectives. Have fun! The road that you have started on is a very exciting walk!
Saturday, August 26, 2006
Your success is not a matter of idle chance,
it's a matter of making the right choices.
It's not something you wait for,
but rather something you'll achieve with effort.
Things won't turn up in this world until you turn them up.
Success is neither magical nor mysterious.
The people that truly succeed in the world
are the people who look for the circumstances they want,
and, if they can't find them, make them.
Don't sit on the sidelines, get in the game.
Your access to success has no real limits.
The great opportunity in your life is where you are right now.
Every situation, properly perceived, becomes an opportunity for you.
You have grand opportunities all around you.
Open your eyes, and you will find it.
If you have the desire, you have the power.
Taking action is all that is required.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
This site is a great motivational resource.The motivational articles in the Resource section are awesome - along with the Pesonal Success Stories of spark people who have lost weight and become healthy. I have lost almost 60 lbs with the help of sparkpeople - so it does work.
MOTIVATION: Motivation is not something that you can buy, borrow or steal. It comes from deep within you. It is founded and based upon your own, very personal reasons to become healthy. It is often helpful to list YOUR reasons why you need to change. Also, write down and visualize how you will look, feel, behave, act, interface with others, etc. when you have reached your health goals. Write down what price you are willing to pay to be healthy, look great, feel great. When I started, I would have paid anything - the sky was the not even my limit. But you can not $$$$ for it - it is spent in personal, permanent adjustments, in a new look at nutrition, in a committment to exercise. Baby steps at first - nothing happens over night. But soon you will be on a great path to permanent good health.
Motivation does not exist without a positive attitude. A positive attitude does not exist unless your have a purpose and a plan that you are committed to. Tune up your attitude each and every day. Your positive attitude is your life line when you take a mini-fall or a mistep, like we all do on our paths. A positive attitude will help in your committment to NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP.
Good luck in your spark journey.
Get An Email Alert Each Time DENNISBISHOP Posts