Sunday, February 13, 2011
As requested - and these will NOT be going onto the Spark Recupe's website :)
Makes about 9-12 depending on your muffin tin - make sure you only fill to about 3/4 as per instructions.
* 1 3/4 cups raisin bran cereal
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg
* 3/4 cup buttermilk
(if you can't get buttermilk just use normal milk, put in 3/4 tbsp white vinegar and wait 5 minutes - buttermilk!)
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
* 3/4 cup grated carrots
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple, carrots and walnuts. Fill paper-lined muffin cups or cups coated with nonstick cooking spray three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Sour Cream Frosting
4 Tbsp very soft butter
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 cup - 1 cup Confections/Icing Sugar (to taste)
In a medium bowl combine all ingredients, except sugar, until well combined. With electric mixer on slow, add sugar beating until smooth.
I then grated lemon rind over, you could dried apple chips or even coconut.
These tasted even better the next day - enjoy ONE and give the rest away :)
Nutritional Analysis: One muffin equals 199 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.