Thursday, January 24, 2008
Well, its been a rough week. My grandmother is dying, granted, she is 99, but she recently got a MRSA infection in her urinary tract which makes it near impossible to treat.
Diego, my toddler, was evaluated for speech issues Tuesday morning. He talks alot, but, his intelligibility is quite diminished. The findings were:
* Does well with singular words
* Th = F i.e., free instead of three, dropping "s" sounds because of mouth formation (blowing air out of the sides of his mouth)
* Intelligibility (the clarity of his speaking) is greatly diminished when he speaks in sentences
* Hearing test with pediatric Audiologist is this Friday morning
* Definitely needs speech therapy
* Probably will recommend a therapist facilitated play group to learn to communicate with other children later on
* Concerned about not comprehending the "wh" questions, i.e., What is the boy doing? Where is he going? But, indicated this could be to knowing the question in spanish, not english, etc. They will look at this later.
Of course, there is a waiting list to get in to therapy, so, now we just hurry up and wait. In the meantime, they are ordering his medical records from his Pediatrician to look at his medical history and hx of ear infections, tubes and perforated ear drum.
I am suspecting, based on what I have read (see attached article link), I am leaning on hearing loss causing the problems. The article describes him to a "T". Wish us luck tomorrow with the Audiologist.
My weight hasn't budged. That is all I can say about that.