Wednesday, March 05, 2014
- Flossing & Retainer: I think I flossed once or twice. Didnít wear my retainer :(
- Spark goals. I made it to 11 months of 500 minutes per month! February wasnít nearly as crunched as January. Iím just at a 2 week streak for 90 minutes per week. The cold weather is still making motivation hard!
- Fruits & Veggies. I feel like Iím at my best ever in this category. It helps that a grocery store came into town that has a nice selection of fresh fruits and veggies that arenít all bruised up or hard. Oranges (though I donít like the ones with seeds!), bananas, avocados, carrots, lettuce, dried cranberries. (The last three Iíve been using in chicken wraps. Yum!) I got some little plastic cups of peaches for lunch, but blech! I accidentally bought some that were sweetened with artificial sweeteners! I could tell the second that first spoonful hit my mouth. I just canít stand that taste. Not sure how I missed that. Iím usually pretty good at reading labels! Oops!
- Fats. I think Iím also doing pretty well in this category. Mostly good fats! Iíve been reading labels, and the only thing that I can think of that always has more bad fats than good is ice cream. Which I eat in moderation but will never give up. I just wonít!
- Carbs. Iím doing good on whole grain and multi-grain carbs, and eating my ice cream in moderation. I slipped for a while in January, but Iíve got it back under control now.
- Protein. Does hummus have protein? Itís beans, so I think so. Iíve been eating hummus with these great crackers that are (I think?) mostly made of nuts. Funny, but they taste good. Iíve also been eating chicken wraps (on wheat flatbread). And tuna. So I think this has been a really good month for protein.
- Water. Eh, so-so. Iím maybe getting consistently 5 cups a day? So improvement, but not where I want to be.
- Work. Canít complain.
- Home. Iíve been a couch potato! Since going back to part-time work, Iíve usually been really good at balancing ďworkĒ around the house with down time. Maybe it was the cold weather, maybe I need one of those sunshine lamps. But I just wanted to veg out! Did a bit of laundry, did a bit of garden planning, re-organized my closet, cooked a bit, cleaned in the kitchen a bit. I need to clean my bathroom and put away all those matched socks. And finish organizing the stuff I pulled out of my closet because I decided it didnít belong in there. I know I canít do everything all the time. But February was a serious down-time month. It felt great! But it also feels good to be productive when I get stuff done.
- Outdoors. COLD COLD COLD! Iíve had it!!! I ordered some seeds from ďBotanical Interests.Ē Love their selection, the beautiful art on the seed packets, and their stuff is all non-GMO. I mapped out my pots and what will go into each one. I am ready for SPRING!
- Getting Creative. I think planning my garden took a lot of creativity. And it was fun too! And Iím still building that online class as I go.
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- I was a still a little distracted from this category this month. I need to set aside a specific time each week (at least) to meditate/study/quiet my mind.
- Important People. Pretty good.
- Letter writing. No letter writing. I do have one letter I need to write, so I should do at least one in March.
Personal Takeaways for February:
- Best Thing of the Month. Fruits and vegetables! And protein! Iím on fire with my food!
- Highlighted Food Goal for March. Keep up the good work :D
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for March. Try to really get 90 minutes in every week.
- Giving up. Spending money on things I donít need. And I do mean NEED. I go up and down with my spending. Sometimes Iím awesome at saving, but then I ďrewardĒ myself for being so good at it by spending! So concentrate on needs and on being thankful for what I do have.
- Adding. Being more outwardly thankful for my husband and trying to do sweet things for him more consistently. Heís so good to me all the time, and I should reciprocate more.
Thursday, February 06, 2014
- Flossing & Retainer: Well, I flossed a couple of times, so this category wasnít a complete bust.
- Spark goals. I made it to 10 months of 500 minutes per month! I donít think I could have done that without support from my SparkFriends and hubby. And that strange situation where I was awarded a 500 monthly minutes award for January when I had not actually earned it yet. I took it as a sign that I *would* get the minutes in. So January was cutting it close. Iíd like to do better in February. Iím just at a 2 week streak for 90 minutes per week. The cold weather makes motivation hard!
- Fruits & Veggies. January was okay. I try to add frozen veggies to meals pretty frequently, and I also try to open a can a fruit for dinners. I know that canned fruit isnít the best. But Iím practicing a good habit of thinking about fruit, and I never buy fruit in syrup. This last summer, I got much better at eating fresh fruit from the Farmerís Market, and canned really isnít as good. Iím proud of myself with fruits and veggies because my husband isnít into them at all, but I still make sure we eat some, even when heís cooking Iíll say, ďWhat vegetable are we having? Maybe some fruit too?Ē
- Fats. I had a small relapse on boxed snacks (trans fats!) during the week of my uncleís death. Lots of poptarts and cookies. Iíve since put a stop to that! So other than that lapse, Iím still doing good at avoiding boxed snack foods. I havenít been baking at all really, so I havenít been using flax seed in January.
- Carbs. Iím sticking to whole grains and just last week I read an article about sugar. Apparently women are only supposed to have 6 tsp of sugar per day! It seems there are approximately 4g in 1tsp, so that means about 24g. Iím going to start really paying attention to the sugars on nutrition labels. I admit Iíve eaten a good bit of ice cream in January. For several months Iíve been good at rationing ice cream. I blackslid there in January. Like I said above, Iím still doing pretty good at avoiding boxed snacks, so thatís good.
- Protein. Iíve eaten a lot of edamame and also almonds in January, but Iím still not doing stellar in this category. Today I bought some cottage cheese at the grocery store and will try to incorporate that into my diet. I like beans, I just need to make more of them!
- Water. Iím sad to report that January hasnít been a great month for water intake. But Iíve been feeling thirsty lately, so at least that helps me to remember to drink. The last week or so has really been an uptick in water intake. So maybe Iím improving.
- Milk Update: The mornings I eat yogurt for breakfast, I had tummy aches. If I drink the milk from the cereal bowl, I get a tummy ache. Ice cream is still okay, and cheese is in moderation.
- Work. Still going pretty well. I also picked up an online class to teach, so thatís been a new experience. Iím actually kind of enjoying it. I wasnít sure whether I would or not.
- Home. My home is my castle!
- Outdoors. Itís still cold. Cold, cold, snow, ice, cold, snow, cold. The snow is pretty. Itís fun to walk in once or twice. Iím ready for spring now!
- Getting Creative. I stamped some stationery, Iíve done a bit of knitting, and honestly, building this online class takes creativity!
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- I was a little distracted from this category this month. For February, Iíd like to set aside time during the week that is specifically dedicated to quieting my mind and focusing on things beyond the day to day.
- Important People. Another so-so month. I seem to flip flop between talking with these folks and those folks and these other folks. But I guess as long as everyone is in the rotation, maybe thatís okay. And I also have to remember that it takes two.
- Letter writing. I wrote 2 letters in January! It was nice to get back into that.
Personal Takeaways for January:
- Best Thing of the Month. Even though I cut it close, I was really proud of myself for reaching 500 monthly minutes in January
- Highlighted Food Goal for February. More protein!
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for February. Be consistent! And possibly set up an actual fitness schedule like I said I would last month :)
Monday, December 30, 2013
- Flossing & Retainer: *insert sound of a gong or buzzer*
- Spark goals. I'm about to hit 8 months of 500 minutes per month, and Iím at 6 weeks of 90 minutes per week. Iíve been more consistent (and more confident and motivated!) during December. Iíve been trying to make sure I do a mixture of workouts. Iíve got some Peggy Cappy yoga DVDs I really enjoy (Iím not flexible at all, and sheís okay with that!), my Richard Simmons DVDs, free weights, and hula hoop. I have no excuse to not have *something* to always do!
- Fruits & Veggies. December has been much better in this department, particularly for veggies. Iíve packed the freezer with frozen veggies, and they are really easy to steam either on the stove or in the microwave with a meal. And Iíve found myself craving them! Fruits are slowing improving. Iíve been eating bananas, canned pineapple and peaches, and I just got some little oranges (nectarines?).
- Fats. I have continued to cut back on boxed snacks and, therefore, trans fats and quite a bit of saturated fats. I think this has been a major, major factor in my triglycerides going down as much as they have. Iím still incorporating ground flax seed and olive/sunflower seed/vegetable oil into recipes in place of butter. Sometimes it changes the texture or taste a bit, but many times I really canít tell or am not bothered at all by the way things turn out. One bad thing: I have eaten a lot of dump cake over the holidays. And thereís no way around butter in that recipe!
- Carbs. I havenít been eating as much as usual, because Iíve been substituting veggies as a snack between ľ and Ĺ of the time that I am hungry between meals. So Iíve increased my veggie intake and decreased my chip, toast, goldfish, etc. intake.
- Protein. Iíve actually been craving meat a lot lately, so maybe I havenít been doing stellar in this category. But tonight I had beans and (brown) rice for dinner, and Iíve been eating a crap ton of edamame, so I think Iím doing okay.
- Water. December has not been a good month for water. Actually, my entire appetite, extending to even water has been pretty dulled. Itís possible itís due to a medication I am currently on. Iíve started carrying a water bottle around the house with me so I can sip water every time I remember I need to.
- New discovery?: I donít know if I can drink milk anymore. I used to be a huge lover of milk. I remember growing up, my mom would bemoan all of the milk we would go through. I really didnít think it was me. I assumed it was a group effort. However, after I moved out, she said they practically never buy milk anymore! My in-laws still think of me as the girl that drinks a lot of milk. While I havenít drank straight up milk in a long time, I swear that after a bowl of cereal I get stomach and intestinal cramps. Can a person develop issues with milk?? Cheese and ice cream seem to be fine, but milk -- I donít think so. Maybe that will be a good way to get me to eat something better than cereal in the mornings!
- Work. I am loving part-time work like you wouldnít believe.
- Home. Really great. I get to spend a lot more quality time with my husband and my pets and on my hobbies. Iím able to help out around the house a lot more and can be quite the machine when it comes to doing laundry! (Though I still donít love matching socks Ö)
- Outdoors. Itís cold. I have never liked the cold. I do not think I will ever adjust to wintertime. However, there was a lovely snow, and I got to take some pretty pictures of it.
- Getting Creative. Iíve been knitting like crazy, and Iím hopefully going to be soon opening an Etsy shop where I will sell some knitted goods and donate the profits to the Lustgarten Foundation. They fund pancreatic cancer research.
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- I think that 2013 has been the start of quite a spiritual journey for me. It has been very cool to contemplate my soulís journey, my connection with others both in the physical world and the spiritual, and to explore new concepts that were totally unknown to me before. Honestly, this has been my most ďproductiveĒ category by far lately.
- Important People. Iíve been okay on and off during December. Some folks I was better at connecting with than others, but I suppose that is the way that life works. My goal for January is to get in touch with my friend S. in particular. She has gone through some major life changes, and I have retreated since my grandmaís death and need to open back up with her.
- Letter writing. Well, none of my pen pals have written me this month, so my typewriter has sat unused. However, my husband and I did get off 40+ Christmas cards. Itís a chore every year, but it feels great to get them all out!
Personal Takeaways for December:
- Best Thing of the Month. Growing in self-confidence in all aspects: feeling confident in what my body can do and how it can improve; growing into myself and feeling comfortable with just being me and not trying to please everyone; my spectacular spiritual growth, which I think touches all aspects of my life.
- Room for Most Improvement. Fruits. And also, Iíd love to do better than 500 minutes next month. I always cut it pretty close, but get those minutes in. Iíd like to get ďextraĒ minutes in sometimes too.
- Highlighted Food Goal for January. More fruits.
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for January. Maybe go crazy and make a fitness schedule that incorporates several types of fitness per week: yoga, cardio, weight training.
Sunday, December 08, 2013
I'm not going to do my usual break-down of categories, because November was just not a great month. I had a lot of emotional/family stuff going on, and everything else fell to the back burner.
Goals for December:
- Stay motivated to exercise, and get at *least* 90 minutes of exercise per week. Preferably more!
- Eat at least 1 fruit or veggie per day. So at the very least nuke some frozen veggies with dinner.
- Reach out to some friends I haven't talked to in a few months.
- Stay on top of my emotional health, and do my best to not let anyone else dictate my emotional state.
On to bigger and better things during December! Go me!
Tuesday, November 05, 2013
- Flossing & Retainer: I flossed a couple of times, and wore my retainer for a few days at the beginning of the month. Still trying for once a week floss and more consistent retainer wearing!
- Spark goals. I'm at seven months of 500 minutes per month, and Iíve tied my highest streak of 90 minutes per week for seven weeks. I almost slipped one week, but I got the minutes in! I am still surprised at how much the streaks motivate me to keep active.
- Fruits & Veggies. Not great, but I did add some mixed frozen veggies to a recent spaghetti sauce, and Iíve found myself craving veggies sometimes. So thatís good!
- Fats. I have been incorporating ground flax seed into breads and baked goods. Iíve also been substituting any butter/margarine in a recipe for either olive oil (breads) or sunflower seed oil (baked goods), and honestly, everything still tastes mighty tasty to me.
- Carbs. I love carbs, but I have cut way, way back on boxed sweets/treats. So Iím feeling pretty good in this department.
- Protein. Another so-so category. I have been eating some more meat, but this month hasnít been great for beans and fish.
- Water. For some reason, October was a rough month for water. Actually, my entire appetite, extending to even water has been pretty dulled. Itís possible itís due to a medication I am currently on. But Iíve already in the last week or so been making extra effort to get more water.
- Work. Iím part time! So basically awesome. Much less stress. Fewer hours, fewer days a week.
- Home. Due to being part-time, I have had so much more time at home to help out. Honestly, my husband has been the one for the last couple of years who works the ďsecond shift,Ē and Iím really not proud of that. I donít want either of us to have to do that! So Iíve already been much more active in cooking and cleaning around the house. And Iíve had plenty of time to relax as well. Reading, knitting, playing games, cuddling with my pets. Itís been just wonderful. And the hubs and I have gotten to spend so much more quality time together since Iím not constantly stressed and exhausted.
- Piano. Iíve taken another break. I need to decide whether it is a ďwantĒ to continue, or if it has become a chore. I bet Iíll have a good idea once Iíve been part-time for a while.
- Outdoors. October was fabulous for outdoors. The weather was really beautiful, and I got to enjoy walking on the trail behind our apartment complex quite a bit. I borrowed The Woman in White eBook from the library and listened to it on the iPod while I walked the trail. One day when I was walking with Stephen we saw so many deer! I forget the exact number, but something like 13. Another time when I was by myself, I saw a little snake with a red colored band around its neck. Iíve even *gasp* started jogging for very short bursts on some of my walks. Never thought that would happen!
- Getting Creative. I havenít worked much on the panda bear Iíve been knitting, but I did try a new pattern for a dishcloth, and it turned out really nice.
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- Spending time outdoors
- Reading Theresa Caputoís new book, ďThereís More to Life than ThisĒ (You can roll your eyes at me! But really!)
- Watching the movie Cloud Atlas. It was just incredible. And with some similar messages as Theresa Caputo!
- For November: Try meditation.
- Important People. Iíve done a good job of connecting with some friends and not so much with others this month. I think this is due to some personal issues I have going on right now, and some friends are a better support for this particular circumstance. But Iíd like to reach out K., J., and S. this next month. I miss them, and itís been a while.
- Letter writing. No letters this month! I canít believe it! Time to make a date with my typewriter.
Personal Takeaways for October:
- Best Thing of the Month. Being part-time at work again. This has been in the works for about 8 months now, and I have needed it so badly. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me.
- Room for Most Improvement. Fruits and veggies! Will I ever get better at this??
- Highlighted Food Goal for November. Fruits and veggies! Think about them, buy them, EAT THEM.
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for November. Get consistent again. October was front heavy as far as fitness minutes goes. I need to be more even and consistent.
Get An Email Alert Each Time CMARYGENE Posts