Tuesday, December 01, 2009
I love sweet potatoes! I have no idea why I had it in my head that I didn't enjoy them, because they are delicious! If you haven't tried sweet potatoes lately, give them another chance (or give them their first chance)! Try them for me! I have found a couple of French Fry companies have released sweet potato fries. That might be t he easiest way to give them a shot. Check your frozen food aisle by the french fries. If you are a little more brave, pick up a sweet potato from the vegetable aisle. I'll share a couple of my favourite sweet potato recipes.
2 sweet potatoes
3 potatoes (white or red or both)
1 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
1 tsp nutmeg (or to taste)
Peel the sweet potatoes. Wash the carrots and potatoes (you can peel them, but I never do). Cut the sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots into similar sized pieces. Place in a bowl, and cover with seasoning and mix. In a baking dish (I use a glass rectangle one), spray some Pam or other type of cooking oil. Pour the vegetables into the baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F for an hour, or until the vegetables are soft.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups fresh sweet potatoes,
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium high heat.
3. Add onion and sugar; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring.
4. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is caramelized or deep golden brown.
5. Stir in sweet potatoes, cumin and black beans, mixing gently. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft.
6. Spoon mixture evenly down center of each tortilla.
7. Roll up tortillas jelly roll style and place rolls seam side down in an oblong casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
8. Shred cheese over burritos.
9Cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until well heated and crispy on outside.
I eat these with salsa and plain yogurt in place of sour cream). Very filling and very delicious!
Give sweet potatoes a try! Or share your favourite sweet potato recipe with me.