Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Woke up at the crack of dawn,
went to get my workout on.
Muscles now are good and sore -
in two days I'll go for more!
Packed my bag and drank my tea,
the milk in my cereal was almost fat-free!
The rain was coming down real hard,
making a lake out of my little yard.
Got to school - I love what I do!
Sang with the kids, doobie-doobie-doo!
For some of the kids, I'm all they've got.
One of my first grade girls said I was hot! (ha!)
Laid on the couch and took a nap,
two hours later I ate part of a bap. (A small bun/bread loaf)
Tomorrow's lunch is already packed,
It's just about time to hit the sack.
Monday, April 11, 2011
Last night Brad and I had another couple over for pizza and wine. Too much wine, not enough pizza. Uuurrrrgggh.
Spent yesterday cooking. I had been away the past two weekends and didn't get to fill up the freezer with anything. We now have some delish marinara, lentil soup, and banana bread pudding. SOOOOO good. I can't wait for bread pudding for dinner!
This whole weight-loss body-changing thing is pretty amazing. I was chugging along, doing my thing, happy with my progress, even though I haven't really noticed any big differences. Slow and steady.
Today I was getting ready, and I noticed that my tum looked a little flatter. My shirt has more room in the tum than it did last year (and no, it didn't stretch!). I saw my calves and I thought "wow, they actually look pretty good!" My calves are kind of big, and today was the first day that my immediate though wasn't "look at those giant calves."
I feel back on track with my eating, and I've been tracking more and more. I'm not tracking everything, but I do it when I think of it.
I'm really liking my non-scheduled schedule. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are the only days that I MUST get in a workout (my lifting workout) and the rest of the days it's up to me. I love not feeling bound to the clock.
Off to finish my tea...
Saturday, April 09, 2011
And not the kind that Ice Cube rapped about...
Woke up for a run, got the heart pumping on some hills. Phew! Honey and I went grocery shopping at BJ's for some cheese and short ribs. Got a mega-big package of dental floss, too. I love to floss. Hooray teeth!
Came home and flung open the windows. Ok, not really flung, but opened them all. It was so nice to have the fresh air in here! Cleaned the house a bit for tomorrow's little party. Brad and I are hosting a few of his co-workers for a pizza and wine party. Brad's going to make some dough and we are just going to chow down on home made pizza. I bought some wine today, too. I'm looking forward to it!
Dropped off some clothes at the dry cleaners... I took a pair of pants that are already feeling a little big. And I just bought them less than a month ago!!! Goooooooo strength training!!!
Picked up some wine - a Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, Chateau St. Michelle Riesling, and Hob Nob Chardonnay. The Riesling and Pinot were even on sale!
Went to the local outlets to find some shoes for Wednesday's wine tasting. I have a really cute dress but I didn't have the shoes for it. Found some super cute open-toed black sandal-y shoes. I can even wear them into fall with some tights! And then I just popped into another store just to look, and I found a pair of PERFECT nude sandals for $29.99! They were originally $100 - and they were just what I was looking for. I won't be looking for more shoes for a while. One more pair of Birkenstocks a little closer to summer...
Came home, took a nap (the Masters is on, and golf = nap). Woke up and decided that I wanted to use my Kate Spade Friends and Family. So I should have a new bag in a couple days.
No more shopping for a while! One really good thing about having been in debt (really really in debt) is that I am really really picky about what I buy. I will look around for days, weeks, even MONTHS if I have to for the perfect ________. And when I find it, I'll buy it. I don't worry too much about the cost, as long as it's perfect. And I return stuff a LOT. I get my stuff home, show it to Brad, and he lets me know whether or not I should keep what I have. I really respect his honesty!
The house is almost ready for tomorrow. Just a little cleaning tomorrow morning, and then we should be set.
Time for a hot bath and a little reading.
Friday, April 08, 2011
Today I was awake at 4:30. And not in an "oh shoot it's only 4:30" kind of way, but in a "hooray it's Friday! I want to get this day started!" kind of way.
For April, I planned not to plan. I have been trying to focus on a million things and because of that, I haven't been able to focus on a single thing.
I know, deep.
So this month, it's strength training. I have to get these limbs in shape for skirts and short-sleeves weather. Which, according to the 10-day forecast, looks like it might start on Monday of next week. (78 degrees!!!)
My schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning at the gym. That's all I have planned. If I feel like going another day, I will. And if not, well then, I won't go. I've been planning my weeks for so long that I think it finally caught up with me. Why should I have EVERY SECOND planned? I'm allowed to have nights where I don't have a plan... where I don't have a to-do list...
Off to brush brush brush my teeth and head off for some weights!
Tuesday, April 05, 2011
As lots of you know, Brad (my honey) is a chef and he works crazy hours. The very nice thing is that he cooks at home (when I came home from school today I had some bread dough all ready to go in the oven for dinner) but the not so nice thing is that we don't get to spend a whole lot of time together. I often come home from school and I am alone.
Now before we get all sad and pity party (well, *me*, mostly), I will write that I actually *like* to be alone. I prefer lifting weights with my iPod to taking a BodyPump class. I prefer running by myself or with a buddy to running with a big group, and I have absolutely no problem going out to eat alone.
So what's the problem?
I've been putting together my April goals and I've been considering lots of things. I already know that I've become complacent (thanks for the word, John!) about tracking my food and tracking my workouts. I know that I have not earned as many Spark Points as I should have, and I feel like I'm falling behind on my Sparking. I also know that the key to moving forward with my goals is for me to stay involved with my Spark community - comment on lots of blogs, read and post to the message boards, and give lots of Goodies and encouragement.
One of the very first lessons a Sparker learns is that setting small goals at first and not trying to change everything at once leads to success. My first thought about April was to schedule tons of working out - strength training, yoga, running, stretch... phew! When was I going to have *me* time? And what would happen when I didn't make all those workouts? I know what happens - I look at myself as a "failure." And then the excitement for the rest of the month is lost. Since I took so much time off during the winter, I decided to focus on one thing for April. And that is strength training. I really like this New Rules of Lifting workout - so that is my focus. When I get other workouts in there, I will celebrate those.
Um, ok so what does this have to do with being alone?
Well as I was sitting here this evening, I kind of had an "aha!" moment. I was scheduling so much working out so I didn't have to sit here with my own thoughts. Which is weird, because I like to be alone.
So I put a positive spin on this.
Instead of being upset that I missed a workout (which I won't do because I'm not scheduling a million workouts), I will take my evenings to do Sparking. It's important to me, and I haven't been taking enough time to do it. I must be involved more in Spark for success...
So this blog is a little rambling, I know... but here are April's foci anyway.
- Strength training. Three days a week. The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am doing really well with it - I can shoulder press 25 pounds (woot!) and I'm working on getting some super legs with all my squats, dead lifts and lunges. Oh, and step ups on a high bench with weights. I love "lifting like a man."
- Track food, or at least write it all down. This is to keep me more mindful about what I'm eating. My complacency about tracking has caused me to make excuses about my eating. "I'm running today." "I ran yesterday." "I'm running tomorrow." "It's Tuesday."
- Instead of scheduling tons of workouts, I will have Spark time instead. Like tonight. I thought about going to yoga, but you know, I don't have to be at the gym every minute. Having me-and-Spark time is important, too. My meditation coach is very wise - I once told her I wanted to spend more time meditating, and she said that if it was that important to me, I'd find time to do it. So simple, but sometimes it takes someone else saying it to you to make you go "oh yeah, that's a good point."
- I will continue sending out cards. This is a New Year's Resolution I made, and I really like it. I love picking out fun cards and sending them out.
- I will continue buying fresh flowers for my room at school. It's just a little thing that makes such a huge difference in my mood. And the mood of others! I had three people stop in my room today and comment on how wonderful it was to be in the music room - fresh flowers, nice lighting... I am very proud of how I've turned my music room into such a wonderful place to be.
- I will continue being mindful and patient. I learned in my meditation class to really be in touch with my feelings (it sounds a little cheesy, I know, but really it's the most amazing thing) and I've brought that into my teaching. Since I have done this, I have never had as many hugs as I've gotten in the last few weeks and I've never had fewer discipline problems. I feel as if my kiddos want to do well in music just to do well. I don't give out rewards and I don't have a "time-out" chair. My kids just want to do well. And I feel like that makes me a success.
So it's off to drink some more water and cut up some fruit. I feel really good about my choice to have fewer foci but really concentrate on the ones I have.
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts