Sunday, February 21, 2010
and possibly a large part of the reason why I am here trying to lose so much weight. It is actually something that reminds me a bit of quitting smoking. I can hear that voice in my head trying to make excuses for why I should watch the TV or read while I eat (mostly saying my life is too busy). It is a habit I have formed since I was a little girl and I am aware that I associate watching movies with eating. I generally have been eating breakfast at my desk at work (doing work at the same time), lunch is at my desk at work (using Facebook or SP or generally surfing), dinner is my time to watch a DVD and wind down from the day. I completely swamp the feelings I have with food and swamp the eating with TV or computers. I want to break this cycle but I think it has to be through one small step at a time - like
1. not watching TV at dinner time, making the dinner table look lovely and inviting and presenting the food nicely
2. setting a timer for 20 minutes so that I eat slowly
3. keeping a journal of how I feel and how hungry I am as well as what I ate
4. having water with my meals and keeping an eye on my hunger level as I eat
5. having healthy snacks ready but only eating them from a plate and sitting down doing nothing else
I am sure I will add to this if I need to but I intend to start step 1 as my eating mindfully goal - actually I started last night with dinner.