Monday, January 07, 2013
So today Spark encouraged me to revisit the concept of a 'collage' for inspiration. Its supposed to include motivating pictures, words that help me focus on my goals. My goal to loose weight, become stronger, fitter, faster... My goal to be a role model... My goals to be a kinder, more loving person (on my death bed Id probably regret being cruel or selfish more than having a few extra pounds- but really, the two shouldnt have anything to do with each other, haha, hopefully there is time for both ;) )... my goal to be a better, more agile dancer- and mother :)
So I thought Id put up a quick blog about someone that inspires me. Ok, so she inspires my fitness. I dont know anything about her except that shes as fit as they come- no idea if shes in anyway loving, kid, etc, but Ive got other role models and inspirers for that :)
Ok so Sofia Boutella is as hot and amazing as they come. Shes a crazy, mad dancer with gorgeous creativity. Its no fluke Nike snatched her up for their add campaign.
Here she is:
One thing is clear- she did not get where she is by sitting around. I imagine that she spends hours a day dancing, refining her craft, and therefore her physique. I dont have hours a day to give to fitness- bbut I definitely have more time than I think.
In grad school if I got my reading done, I could just pack my bag and go spend hours at the school dance studio. And I did. and it was awesome.
Now I dont have that freedom. Im a mom. And studying. But. But. But. Too many buts.
Ive been trying to make about 45 minutes each day for exercise of some kind- and Ive been succeeding! With that realization under my belt I am wondering how many more minutes there might be. Eating a healthy diet takes no extra time really, just focus. Exercising more, building muscle and flexibility can, however. yes I do squats while I brush my teeth. And I hold baby high above my head to work my arms. BUT theres probably even more time there- if Im motivated. I shouldnt let my focus scare me off- I should not feel guilty.
It aint going to happen sitting around.
Thanks Sofia. Im on it.
Saturday, January 05, 2013
Ok, real quick here they are:
Do 30 minutes of Pilates- the P57 Arm and AB Booster. Not a ton of time, but will still be hard since Im on my own the whole day with baby :)
Eating healthy- tonite I get a bit of a treat with a giant bowl of popcorn, I factored in the calories already. So thats exciting. Getting any food in my mouth today however will be hard since, again, Im on my own, and its hard to put baby down long enough to get my meals together. Thankfully that is accounted for in how we shop- we have a lot of quick, healthy, easy-to-eat one handed foods around. At the least I can get in babybel cheese, carrots, snap peas, apple hummus and crackers :) Anyway, it will be important to eat because otherwise my blood sugar plummets and Im likely to go for something unhealthy to quickly get it back up. Got to eat to loose!
ACE work- ok so I DIDNT do 12 pages yesterday, but I did cover two body systems in the book. So today my goal is tackle ONE section (but its looong) on the Skeletal system.
Anything else I do is just brownie points (read: laundry, dishes, etc.)
Friday, January 04, 2013
Today I had planned on doing 45 minutes of kickboxing in the morning, but my husband has to go take care of an emergency, so I will wait to do my workout till later. It may be that I do the shorter pilates workout today and kickboxing tomorrow instead.
To ensure that I get SOME activity in, Ill have another dance party if baby is willing.
I would amaze myself if I got through 12 pages in my Essentials of Exercise Science book- shouldnt be too hard since Ive had to read this chapter before, a long time ago.
I also as usual want to commit to healthy night time noshing- EVEN if the baby is fussing and crying and doesnt want to go to sleep :) I sometimes use the fact that Im still up soothing him at 10:00pm to justify more than my share of snacking.... But how does that help me towards my goal?? Instead I can snack on a Kind bar, or oatmeal, an apple, or cheese. :)
ALso, Id like to get in a shower today. Yes, as a new mom that has to be a conscious goal, haha :)
Thursday, January 03, 2013
Setting goals is a hard job. Why else the endless talk in articles, speeches, etc. on how to set goals that will get you where you want to go? In other words it requires some know-how. Its a skill in and of itself separate from what you actually want to achieve...
I was encouraged recently by a fellow Sparker about how specific my goals are- encouraging! After all, that's one of the keys of goals setting, is having them be 'specific.' So feeling like I was on the right track- since even with ALL the info out there on good goal setting it can still be hard to tell if you are ACTUALLY being specific, realistic, attainable, timely, etc. in your goal setting- I decided to hone in even further on the goals I set.
And I realized- while I am SPECIFIC about the WHAT, I am still pretty VAGUE about the WHY of those specific goals. I have something in there about being an example to my family, fitness instruction, and a trip to NYC... but let me NAIL the 'WHYS' in:
So WHY do I want to get back to my prebaby weight?
1. Because I want to have MORE babies, and I dont want each pregnancy gain to just build on the last. Multiple pregnancies and failure to loose the weight is associated with increased gain later in life (something I learned in my PT studies)... so get it off before you go again!
2. Because I have a closet (um... several...) FULL of lovely clothes- including my favorite grey corduroy mini skirt that I wore day in and day out, with boots, flats, heels, sneakers. Id rather not have to give the lot to Salvation Army. Ok, so I should probably give Sooome of it to Salvation Army, but I dont want to be giving it away because Ill never be able to wear it again. I accept that my body may not be exactly the same as it was before, and the clothes may fit differently, but I want most of them to still fit... especially that mini skirt.
3. Because Ill have to work HARD to get there- which means Id have done intense CARDIO and really worked my pilates skills.... which means I could do cardio hard or pilates hard for an hour which you NEED to be able to do when leading others. Trust me! When I was teaching Zumba and Pilates regularly I had to BRING it so that my class would actually be working hard enough. If I want the class at like a 6 or 7, Id have to be at a 10... My strength and endurance suffered during my pregnnacy (I'm really ok with that!) BUT I need to be rebuild it so that I have the OOmph! to be a kick-butt instructor. Gotta Kick my own butt before I can kick anyone elses again :)
4. Dance... Am I professional? No. No! Heck no. Have I danced for money? Yup. Ok, that sounds wrong. What I mean is that I've had gigs- and if I want anymore, I gotta look the part. Its NOT easy to get gigs, especially if you havent studied dance since wearing a diaper and if you went to school for something entirely different. SO it really helps to look the part- which means small, lean and easily lift-able. Again I am no dance superstar, no prima here, no blackswan ;) I have no delusions. But Id be livin the dream to do a few more gigs :) So besides just LOOKING the part, and apart from just the dance skills themselves, it helps to be fit as h3!!- makes you more versatile, able to stretch more, do more, last longer, hold form better, etc etc.
5. My baby boy- I want him to see me treating my health with respect and care. Which means not being obbssessive, but taking it SERIOUSLY and having FUn doing so... SO I am setting a program that is FUN for me :) and that will get me fit. I hope when he gets older hell find being active and eating healthy foods to be rewarding, fun and just down right normal and natural. Omg, I love him so much....
So there you have it. Having the Why-how to meet my goals!
Get An Email Alert Each Time C-MERRIE11 Posts