Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Thing 1: My motivation is on holiday already. Damn. Must go to the gym tomorrow! I have so many assignments to do, it is hard to drag myself away to the gym!
Thing 2: Person: "What are you doing this weekend/these holidays?" Me: "Oh I'm going to Raro on Friday" Person: "Luuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkky"
Not lucky. Lucky would be winning a trip to Raro. I am going on holiday because I worked hard to afford it and made the funds available. No luck is involved at all, and I hate it when people say that. It makes me feel bad for taking this holiday that I have earned. I already have huge guilt when I do things for myself, since I am a perfectionist and never really feel that I have earned a reward, and this just makes me feel bad. So there.
Thing 3: I went to the refugee centre today. A very interesting experience, to see where 750 people come every year to start their new lives in New Zealand. It is partially funded by my university, so I was able to visit with my semester group. A few facts for you:
- New Zealand has a refugee quota of 750 per year. This is the 5th highest amount per capita
- The USA takes over 700000. Canada has no set quota
- Only 20 countries in the world take refugees
- There are over 40 million refugees and deplaced people worldwide
- People can spend most of their lives in refugee camps and some will never be placed
- Once in New Zealand, the refugees spend 6 weeks at the refugee centre learning to speak English and to live in New Zealand. Some have never walked up stairs before, or used an escalator, or a pen, or a light switch. They are heavily supported to learn these things that we all take for granted.
I hope you learned something interesting!