Tuesday, April 05, 2011
I know a lot of people are uncomfortable or intimidated going to a group fitness class. I am too! It is out of your comfort zone, it is supposed to be a little scary at first. Getting over the first initial uncomfortable stage is crutial and once you have done it you will be fine!
1. Go. To. The. Class. Simple as that. Write to down, hi-light it, treat it like any other appointment.
2. Go a little early. 5-10 minutes is enough. Introduce yourself to the instructor and tell them anything they need to know. For example my intro is "Hi, I'm Jess. Because this is my first class (with you/ ever) I thought I'd just let you know that I'm a quite unfit, so I will try to keep up! I also have a knee injury and problems with my shoulder and use a 'if it hurts, don't do it' approach. So if I stop I'm probably not dying, I just can't do that move". The instructor will usually welcome you and thank you for the info. I have had a few that have given me a funny look, but I would prefer them to know!
3. Look around the room for the nicest looking person. Take a deep breath, smile, and introduce yourself! It is soooo much nicer knowing someones name and if they are as nice as they look they will probably help you get set up, or at least have a little chat with you. If you are shy you can ask the instructor to introduce you to someone, since they will know their regulars quite well
4. Hang near the back. Somewhere where you can see, but where you feel comfortable.
5. Remember that no one is watching you! I have fallen over in a class before and no one noticed but the instructor.
6. Do your best! No one is expecting you to be fantastic the first time! Go at your own pace and do as much as you can, then laugh the rest off. Exercise should be fun!
Now, if y'all will excuse me I'm off to muscle sculpt class!